HDD Ultimate Wave Source

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I want to start new project: HDD Ultimate Wave Source or Server.

I'm very week in digital electronic, so need help.
Maybe some of You want to have DIY something like that.

Simply as possible but:
- best wave quality
- I2S interface ( and spdif later )
- IDE HDD ( 500 gB )
- remite control
- display ( and maybe VGA or TV out )
- folders and files view ( FAT 32 )
- usb but not nesessery
- no mp3 and others, only wave

Here is HDD Mp3 player for exemple but we don't need mp3 decoder.

Attachments

• yampp3_alone.jpg
    yampp3_alone.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 759
I'm sorry I cant help (not clever enough!), but if you can get this project running, you will have won.

Having a control board that will extract .wav from a HDD and then feeding digital to a high quality DAC would be the ultimate system, to me. I dont want a PC or a laptop in the living room, nor do I want to leave a PC on in another room and stream it in.

I want a case on my rack, that I made/assembled giving HQ music to my ears.

I really do wish you well!

I have been in search for a wav file player for some time. People on here have said that hard drives are electrically noisy and would impact sound quality and said solid state memory would be a better choice. Also, IDE hard drives require an IDE controller. I found "Ultimate Source", designed by Koon. He uses a dsPIC33 with an 11.289MHz clock. It interfaces directly to an SD or microSD card, reads the wav files and pipes the samples out the I2S output. Because of it's clock, it only works with 44.1kHz 16 bit wav files. I built it over a year ago but never got it to read from the SD card. It turns out I had the DI and DO lines reversed, so when I corrected it, everything seemed to work quite well. I'd recommend this project, as it is the cheapest. The thread is here. I plan on connecting the output to a DIT4096 S/PDIF transmitter, but haven't figured out the configuration yet.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.