usb to digital (spdif/xlr) coverter - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st April 2009, 04:31 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default usb to digital (spdif/xlr) coverter

am I searching too litle but i cant find any of them, thought i think i herad in the past somewhere. is there any comercial or DIY usb or firewire converter to spdif or xlr digital output?

I need only digital outut and the most valuable parameter is low jitter of course

thanks in advance
Old 1st April 2009, 05:25 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

PCM2902e, doesnt do 24/98 though...

Dave
Old 1st April 2009, 05:34 PM   #3
Fenris is offline Fenris  United States
diyAudio Member

I just made three boards last night based on the TI PCM2707. Didn't get a chance to test them out, but the design is pretty straightforward. I just used the datasheet design and parts from my junk boxes, but you could do this from scratch for probably under $30. Output is 3v SPDIF, but that's easy enough to convert to optical ($1.50 TOSLINK transmitter), TTL, or balanced with a transformer.
Old 1st April 2009, 06:05 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Re: usb to digital (spdif/xlr) coverter

Quote:
Originally posted by elviukai
the most valuable parameter is low jitter of course

All the simple solutions will fail dismally your requirement.
Old 1st April 2009, 06:23 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

i did search but found nothing, now i surfer digital section and on the same page i found

I am not in digital DIY, if anyone can recomend complete product or have for sale it would be great. I will use it on my sony vaio TT notebook.it have only usb and firewire outputs.. are theese self powered (via usb) or need separate?
how theese coverters comapre to transports like krell md2 and similar?
Old 1st April 2009, 07:55 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Anything self-powered is crap. Anything using isochronous transfer is crap. Anything without proper transformer coupled 75ohm output is crap. Not sure whether this leaves much. Converting from one compromised audio protocol to another can hardly be spectacular. Unless you find a way to reclock and not rely on recovered clock at all.
Old 1st April 2009, 08:00 PM   #7
udailey is offline udailey  United States
diyAudio Member

Well, what are you suggesting?
Uriah
Old 1st April 2009, 08:09 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

so what do you recomend? can you direct me to some supliers or maybe you have for sale?

I will use it as a second source. times goes by and I feel myself that sometimes its just better to have pc as a source especialy when tuning speakers xover and changing track by track.its way much quicker than cd transport which can have only one cd disc.
Old 1st April 2009, 08:11 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

What worked for me after trying a lot was to forget about spdif and just use USB-to-I2S. As async chips are not easy to use and jitter with the 27xx is a real problem i chose a 2707 followed by an ASRC with a stable local clock. Controversial? Very. But works for me quite well. Then again i don't have a Krell to compete with

Ideally my choice would be Wavelenght's audio USB solution.
Old 1st April 2009, 08:20 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I just sold my P700 transport as a PC has been my only digital source over the last two years. Nothing will persuade me to own a cdp again. Keeping a few thousand CDs? No, thanks, i have enough LPs as is.

Keep in mind USB audio is not an easy out of the box solution no matter what dac you buy. PCs sound disconcertingly different due to all sort of reasons, both software and hardware related. For some reason i am not very lucky with notebook computers. Out of the three i've tried none could compare in sound to my desktop.

Hide this!Advertise here!