Coaxial Digital Audio to 5.1 analog outputs?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, somebody knows some kind of Dolby decoder to convert the digital signal (coaxial or optical) that come from the digital television receivers (such as DVB-T or DVB-S or also DVD) in 6 (5.1) analog audio signal for each speaker ?

I am looking for a separate decoder not a complete sourround sytem, if it is small and can be cheap. Any suggestions are welcome.

Greetings!

There are chips, but they're usually only available to companies that have signed license agreements with Dolby.

Now, some computer speaker systems came with separate digital surround decoders. Those are comparatively rare, and tend to fetch way too much money when they sell on eBay... as much as a cheap complete surround receiver. Creative, Koss, Roland, Midiland, are some brands I can remember.

The Creative Labs Extigy USB sound interface is supposed to work as a standalone Dolby Digital decoder, and those don't sell for very much. (I got one, but without the right remote control, so I haven't been able to verify that.)

If you can tolerate a larger box, during the transition from DPL to DD surround, some receivers were sold as "digital ready" and there were outboard boxes that did the decoding. Some were pretty good quality... SGHT rated the Technics version "class B" which was high praise coming from them. That was either the SH-AC300 or SH-AC500D (D for DTS). Either are quite practical to use as digital preamps, since they come with multiple inputs (optical and coax), and have a remote control for selecting input and (most important) volume control.

Some decoders were designed for car installation... new prices were astronomical, but used, or liquidation prices can be low. I picked up a Panasonic decoder for $25 on the bargain table of a local car audio store. It's not perfect... no remote volume control, for example, but hard to beat for that price.

There's a thread someplace at mp3car.com where I probably posted some of the same info, and with more details like model numbers and links.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.