Coaxial Digital Audio to 5.1 analog outputs? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st March 2009, 05:11 PM   #1
pekinin is offline pekinin  Spain
diyAudio Member

Default Coaxial Digital Audio to 5.1 analog outputs?

Hello, somebody knows some kind of Dolby decoder to convert the digital signal (coaxial or optical) that come from the digital television receivers (such as DVB-T or DVB-S or also DVD) in 6 (5.1) analog audio signal for each speaker ?

I am looking for a separate decoder not a complete sourround sytem, if it is small and can be cheap. Any suggestions are welcome.

Greetings!
Old 2nd April 2009, 01:55 AM   #2
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

There are chips, but they're usually only available to companies that have signed license agreements with Dolby.

Now, some computer speaker systems came with separate digital surround decoders. Those are comparatively rare, and tend to fetch way too much money when they sell on eBay... as much as a cheap complete surround receiver. Creative, Koss, Roland, Midiland, are some brands I can remember.

The Creative Labs Extigy USB sound interface is supposed to work as a standalone Dolby Digital decoder, and those don't sell for very much. (I got one, but without the right remote control, so I haven't been able to verify that.)

If you can tolerate a larger box, during the transition from DPL to DD surround, some receivers were sold as "digital ready" and there were outboard boxes that did the decoding. Some were pretty good quality... SGHT rated the Technics version "class B" which was high praise coming from them. That was either the SH-AC300 or SH-AC500D (D for DTS). Either are quite practical to use as digital preamps, since they come with multiple inputs (optical and coax), and have a remote control for selecting input and (most important) volume control.

Some decoders were designed for car installation... new prices were astronomical, but used, or liquidation prices can be low. I picked up a Panasonic decoder for $25 on the bargain table of a local car audio store. It's not perfect... no remote volume control, for example, but hard to beat for that price.

There's a thread someplace at mp3car.com where I probably posted some of the same info, and with more details like model numbers and links.
Old 2nd April 2009, 03:21 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

This was the one Creative made:
http://us.creative.com/products/prod...6&product=9468

Hide this!Advertise here!