How to specify a transformer for dac output?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have ordered a Behringer SRC2496 and plan to replace the AK4393 dac with an AK4396.

AK4396 data sheet

I am keen to bypass the SRC2496 active output stage and take the balanced outputs from the dac straight into a Lundahl (or similar) transformer to produce an unbalanced output.

I have read that others have had success doing this, but have no idea how I would select a suitable transformer or how I would connect everything together.

Can anyone direct me to a site that shows a similar schematic or one that explains how I should pick and implement the transformer output stage?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

At the first glance it seems good, but probably you will need to load the secondary with greater that 600 ohms (say 10 kohms) and there might be some peak in the frequency response at the top end because of underdamping. The 3575 seems to be a better choice, but I'd ask Sowter what they recommend.

I've done a lot more reading since my posts above, so I thought I'd provide an example of how to calculate minimum transformer dBu for use with a Vout DAC.

Dac: AK4393 (found in Behringer SRC2496/DEQ2496 etc.)

Sum of differential outputs = 4.8V peak-to-peak

4.8V peak-to-peak = 1.697Vrms

1.697Vrms = 6.812dBu

Now all you need to do is find a transformer with acceptable performance at this dBu level.

What counts as acceptable performance is another question altogether - I've found 0.1% distortion at 50Hz at the specified dBu level to be fine, although it's no doubt better to use transformers with even less distortion in the bass.

Doing the sums above for the AK4393, I'm tempted to try the two Lundahl LL1527 transformers I have lying around. These claim to offer 0.1% distortion at 50Hz at 6dBu, but are still below 1% distortion at 50Hz at 16dBu, so I'm sure they will be perfectly happy with the 6.812dBu coming from this dac.

Of course these calculations only cover signal level - there is lot's more than this to specifying a suitable transformer (phase, loading etc.). That's next on my list to learn...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.