ezDAC v.1.5 Builders Thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Do you know what issue?
I'm buying a couple sets of the JLH ripple eater boards, elsewhere on this forum. Not sure what I'll use them for yet. Hmmm.

Paul,
Was avoiding posting a PDF of the AX article... you can review it in their October 2001 issue, page 40, No-Feedback Voltage Regulators".
P.S The JLH topology is interesting.. thanks for the Heads Up.
Louis

Hello

does somebody tried to modify EZDac to use one PCM1794 per channel ?

Regards

Pascal

Hi Pascal,

Not that I know of. I guess you would need some extra 'glue' logic between the ASRC and the two DAC's, and a more sophisticated output filter. Using the original ezDAC board for that will not be easy.

Do you have experience with 1794 in mono-mode? The gain is only a few dB, do you think it will be noticeable? The spec's of the DAC are already very good and will probably not be reached in real-life applications.

Ray

I'm using a trends UD-10 usb transport into the ezdac. Just wondering if there's a better diy solution or anything that tops the UD-10.

Hi Joe,

There is a solution that will be more direct. If you use an USB IC that outputs I2S, like the PCM2707, you could hook it up directly to the ASRC chip of the ezDAC. That way, you loose S/P-dif as a transport medium. In the ezDAC, the CS8416 input receiver will no longer be needed, and at the source side you would no longer have an I2S --> S/P-dif conversion step. But the DAC will be less flexible to use.

Regarding The Flea: I never did an A-B comparison between The Flea and an on-board crystal, but the difference should be quite noticeable, even though the ASRC attenuates most of the jitter. For info look here and here.

Ray

Joined 2010
Paid Member
DAC Ouput and I/V Stage

Hi Ray,

I did make the power supplies separate for each channel and almost completed the PCB.

Do you know any place where I can read about virtual ground in audio applications?

I read few articles that all talk about the virtual ground between +/- Supplies. I don't know even if they are the same or different :).

Thanks

Hi Pascal,

Not that I know of. I guess you would need some extra 'glue' logic between the ASRC and the two DAC's, and a more sophisticated output filter. Using the original ezDAC board for that will not be easy.

Do you have experience with 1794 in mono-mode? The gain is only a few dB, do you think it will be noticeable? The spec's of the DAC are already very good and will probably not be reached in real-life applications.

Ray

Hello Ray

I don't have realy experiences with 1794 in mono mode. I just ear one DAC one day in this configuration (I don't remember it's name). But I work for a compagny which make sputtering targets for Texas Instruments . I'm just IT manager in the compagny, but one day, during a visit of product engineers from TI in our buildings, I had opportunity of discussing with them about BB 1794.
I use no oversampling DAC (AD1865 and TDA1541), I have a CS4397 but I was never convinced by 24 bits DAC compared to AD1865, not enough basses and impact in low medium and basses. I have a CS4397 but compare to AD1865 "à la" audio note, it have less basses. The only 24 bits which convinced me was the Kenwood DP5090 I tweaked

When I discussed with TI engineers, they told me that if I wanted to try 1794 (they gave me 2) it's better to try in mono mode for what I want, because these DAC are very good in dual mode, but for what I want (basses and low medium, impact and detail improvment), it's better to try in mono mode.
So it's why I think of test in mono.

I'm not very familiar with DAC, I'm more specialized in Tube preamplifier/amplifier and analogic. So after having read a lot of things on EZDAC, Flea clock, and Ciuffoly page Ciuffoly page I decided to make a DAC with one PCM1794 per channel, Flea clock, and an outputstage with tube inspired by Broskie balanced/unbalanced output and a anode follower output stage like I used on my CS4397 (sorry it's in french)

The schematic of my project is here Schematic and the power supply here PSU
It will take a long time to make it because I can conceive the PCB, but I have difficulty to engrave it at home, but at the end I will share the result on my site.

If someone see errors, please let me know

Cordailly

Pascal

I see, no 'glue-logic' is needed with this DAC. The channel select pin is very handy. Your schematics looks o.k. as far as I can tell.

If making a PCB is difficult for you, why don't you try the stereo configuration first? The ezDAC is a very nice DAC, and the numbers in the datasheet are almost equal compared to MONO mode.

The ezDAC is miles ahead of that CS4397 DAC. I bought one too, from E-bay, modified it and it now serves as an external DAC for my computer :). I hope that says it all, I think it is not very special. Maybe a tube-output will cranck it up a little bit, but it will probably not make the world of difference.

Regards,

Ray

Comparison Cambridge Azur Dacmagic vs. ezDAC ?

Hi

I am planing to build the ezDAC some day.

In Denmark we were so lucky that the Cambridge Azur DacMagic was at sale for quite a good bargain - and I was so lucky that my wife bought one for me.:)

Now I am currious to know if any of you - that has build the ezDac - ever had the the opportunity to compare it with the DacMagic ?

Best regards

Knud

Hi Knud,

I have built the EZDAC with some help from the good folks here on the board and I think that's it's a really nice DAC. I don't have a DacMagic to compare it to, but I also built an opus DAC kit from twisted pear based on the Wolfson chip. They are pretty close but I'd have to say that the Opus has the edge. The Opus was also twice as much to build.

PJN

Hi Peter,

You need an NPN transistor for that. Any generic type will do, like the BC547. Connect the base to pin 16 through a 47k resistor, the emitter goes to GND. The LED needs a series resistor to set the forward current. This depends on the voltage you are going to power this curcuit with. LED + resistor are connected between the collector and the V+ source, this can be a local 3,3V or 5V.

Regards,

Ray

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.