ac3 and ADAT? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th March 2009, 02:46 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default ac3 and ADAT?

This may have been asked before, but I want to concert a digital signal out of a DVD player to pure analog.

I know that these use DTS and AC3 signals, but I was thinking about using an ADAT converter (like the ADA8000), to convert the signal. This unit seems to have the same bit rates as a surround sound signal, and can concert 8 signals at once (like 7.1). Tried contacting Behringer, but to no avail.

One person I spoke to seems to think it might work, another said it will, but will mix up the channels (not really a problem). Another said no way.

Confusing!

I dont want to use a dolby decoder (so please dont suggest it, I have a beer budget!).

Otherwise, anyone else have an idea how to decode a signal from a DVD player to analog. This is an idea me and some people are working on as a hobby for an outdoor cinema using P.A speakers.
Old 6th March 2009, 04:48 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Well, that device is just the DAC part. That means it handles UNCOMPRESSED digital audio - PCM type.
The 5.1 digital output from DVD it is an compressed signal, encoded as Dolby Digital or DTS. This is because on a SPDIF connection you cannot cram more that 2 uncompressed audio channels.
If you want is like the mp3's versus the stereo PCM. DAC's don't know what to do with that signal directly...
So you need a decoder.
Old 7th March 2009, 02:19 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

So, what your saying is, a 5.1 signal from a DVD player is compressed into a sp/dif signal, and when it goes into a reciever on a home cinema (for example), it is decompressed back into a 5.1 signal?

Do you know of a cheap decoder, (or even a kit), that can concert 5.1 or 7.1 from a DVD player to analog?

I already have a behringer ULTRAMATCH PRO SRC2496, will this help the cause?
Old 7th March 2009, 08:09 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

The analogic 5.1 channels recorded in the recording studio are compressed in the studio in one (or both) of the lossy formats - Dolby Digital or DTS and put on the DVD as such (see their labels). In this way the bitrate is small enough to save space and to be passed over a SPDIF connection that DVD players have - coax or optical. In the digital receiver, the signal is decoded and results 5.1 digital channels (actually 3 stereo) and these are feeding the DAC's and from there go to the power amplifiers that feed the speakers. You have only the DAC part. A decoder should have DolbyDigital and/or DTS logo on it.

There used to be some stand-alone decoders (Creative used to make one that was USD150 ) but now there are none. New I mean. Maybe because players with integral decoders and 5.1 analog outs are less than $100 now a days. And you can find home theatre systems with about USD150-200.

PS: I don't know if you care, but the stereo signal that comes from a CD it is uncompressed PCM and therefore better quality. The only HiRes surround option is a DVD-A and SACD player.
Old 8th March 2009, 05:15 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Think I may have found 1 solution called the "Creative DDTS-100 Decoder", but it looks like its been discontinued.

I checked the online store here in Australia, and several places used to sell it.

Who knows of a simular unit? Or where in Australia I can get one?

Hide this!Advertise here!