Hi end DAC kit ebay - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th April 2009, 12:18 AM   #41
jstang is offline jstang  United States
diyAudio Member

Where did you guys get the nice metal enclosures? I have all the parts except a nice box.....

johnk
Old 15th April 2009, 01:39 AM   #42
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FOXYE
What the impressions?
Ok, after running in for about 24 hours, I've done some comparison with another DAC that I've got, the TPA Buffalo which is based on ESS Sabre.

Note: The TPA Buffalo has it's input caps replaced with the Mundorf Silver in Oil caps at the I/V Stage and a VREF modification done on the Buffalo Board. No modification is done on the TDA1541Ax4.

The highs of the TPA Buffalo is definitely sweeter as compared to the TDA1541Ax4.

The TDA1541Ax4 excels in the mid-range. I could live with the TPA Buffalo. But, now with something on hand to compare, I will prefer the mid-range on the TDA1541A.

The bass is also more extended with the TDA1541Ax4 versus the TPA Buffalo.

On the resolution end, the TPA Buffalo definitely score better than TDA1541Ax4. But, I wouldn't say that the TDA1541Ax4 lacks resolution. If TPA Buffalo were to get 5 points for the resolution rating, I will put the TDA1541Ax4 at 4.25.

Btw, M.Y. (the seller) is a very helpful guy. If there's anything not clear, you can write to him and he responds pretty quickly even on weekends.

As I've got a baby at home, I only have a couple of hours to work on this when he is asleep. If I were to sum up the time spent on this assembly, I believe it should be less than 10 hours (including troubleshooting). If you don't make any mistakes, I believe it can be assembled in less than 6 hours.
Old 15th April 2009, 01:41 AM   #43
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jstang
Where did you guys get the nice metal enclosures? I have all the parts except a nice box.....

johnk

I got mine from a local electronic parts store in Singapore. The enclosure face plate is silver with the word LS Audio on it. I had it sprayed black. Didn't like that label on it.
Old 15th April 2009, 04:00 AM   #44
ccschua is offline ccschua  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

How about a DEM reclocking for the 4xTDA1541a. it is a must if the DAC is more than 1. the latest DEM reclock is the best.
Old 15th April 2009, 02:37 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ccschua
How about a DEM reclocking for the 4xTDA1541a. it is a must if the DAC is more than 1. the latest DEM reclock is the best.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into this. Will report again once I've completed this.
Old 15th April 2009, 03:00 PM   #46
ccschua is offline ccschua  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

I think this is going to be tough since u have 4xtda1541a. do u have the schematics and can you post it here.

Old 15th April 2009, 03:25 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

I might be looking at reclocking the SPDIF and output to I2S since this board takes in I2S.
Old 17th April 2009, 02:27 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

I am going to put an Cheap 5$ LCD event counter on the Error pin of the DIR9001.

My thought is that will tell you if there clocking errors on the SPDIF or the TOSLINK ( I am going to use TOSLINK )

If there are on going errors, then I think that indicates the need for for better clocking....

Thoughts?

Johnk
Old 17th April 2009, 07:18 PM   #49
oshifis is offline oshifis  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DAC_pet
Hi, for the balance output for this DAC, the only way is re-design the circuit as this is the difference application. I am appreicate if anybody can give the advice.
Hi DAC_pet,

You might consider this solution:

Laszlo's Valve Output Stage with Lundahl transformer

You need push-pull output from each TDA chip, not parallel connected. I have a circuit also for creating push-pull digital input from I2S signal.
Old 17th April 2009, 11:14 PM   #50
diyAudio Member

I have enough parts to put this together tonight.....

Should I do a marathon and not sleep till its done.....

jk

Hide this!Advertise here!