Hi end DAC kit ebay

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
FOXYE said:
What the impressions?

Ok, after running in for about 24 hours, I've done some comparison with another DAC that I've got, the TPA Buffalo which is based on ESS Sabre.

Note: The TPA Buffalo has it's input caps replaced with the Mundorf Silver in Oil caps at the I/V Stage and a VREF modification done on the Buffalo Board. No modification is done on the TDA1541Ax4.

The highs of the TPA Buffalo is definitely sweeter as compared to the TDA1541Ax4.

The TDA1541Ax4 excels in the mid-range. I could live with the TPA Buffalo. But, now with something on hand to compare, I will prefer the mid-range on the TDA1541A.

The bass is also more extended with the TDA1541Ax4 versus the TPA Buffalo.

On the resolution end, the TPA Buffalo definitely score better than TDA1541Ax4. But, I wouldn't say that the TDA1541Ax4 lacks resolution. If TPA Buffalo were to get 5 points for the resolution rating, I will put the TDA1541Ax4 at 4.25.

Btw, M.Y. (the seller) is a very helpful guy. If there's anything not clear, you can write to him and he responds pretty quickly even on weekends.

As I've got a baby at home, I only have a couple of hours to work on this when he is asleep. If I were to sum up the time spent on this assembly, I believe it should be less than 10 hours (including troubleshooting). If you don't make any mistakes, I believe it can be assembled in less than 6 hours.

I am going to put an Cheap 5$ LCD event counter on the Error pin of the DIR9001.

My thought is that will tell you if there clocking errors on the SPDIF or the TOSLINK ( I am going to use TOSLINK )

If there are on going errors, then I think that indicates the need for for better clocking....

Thoughts?

Johnk

DAC_pet said:
Hi, for the balance output for this DAC, the only way is re-design the circuit as this is the difference application. I am appreicate if anybody can give the advice.:)
Hi DAC_pet,

You might consider this solution:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=100297

You need push-pull output from each TDA chip, not parallel connected. I have a circuit also for creating push-pull digital input from I2S signal.

Ok have my kit up and running..... Very nice. A nice improvement over my Entech DAC.

I struggle a little with the wiring of the transformers.... The combine of the secondaries did not exactly match to DAC and HDAM ...but in the end I got it to work.

I still am going to mode the input to go straight from the TOSLINK to the DIR9001 input, that will be next weekends project.

johnk

Ok, just added TOSLink to this dac.

TOSLink is the only way for me.....to me it seems to add a level of precision that can't be had even with a good digital cable. Fiber must sharpen up the digital signal edges...which cleans up the clock. Cleaner DAC clock will provide more precise analog signal.

johnk

Ok I just ran the TOSLINK output straight to pin 20 of the DIR9001 U16 receiver chip bypassing the SPDIF transformer and 26C32 U17 line receiver chip.

I read the spec on the DIR9001 and it said this was acceptable.

You have to disconnect the output of the U17 receiver chip that goes to the DIR9001. I did this by cutting a PC run, but you could just lift pin 3 on U17.

This should give a sharper edge to the signal going into the DIR9001 by removing transformer T1 and line receiver U17. But this can only be done with the added TOSLink module.

Seems to have cleaned up the sound a even more. This should provide a very clean clock to TDA1541s.

jk

When using the SPDIF as the clock source ( as the board is configured for ) Pin 8 on u16 DIR9001 should be grounded as per the Manufacture's data sheet.

It may not make a difference, but I just grounded it. Pin 8 is XTI clock source when reclocking with a crystal. Its tough grounding it because of the lead spacing.

Also upgraded two DACs to S1.......

jk

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi to all,

i just ordered the DAC today. I hope it will come quickly :)

Just a question to the guys who are ready with building:

How do you connect the transformer to the Main-Input? As i could see on the photos, there are a single input for every stage.
Perhaps somone could make some detailed photos.

Any data of the effective current flow into the DAC for the inputs?

Best regards

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi to all,

i ordered the DAC today. I hope it comes real quick. :)

A question to the guys who are ready with building:

Is there any measurement, how many current goes through the single main-inputs of the DAC?

How do you connect your transformer with the inputs?

Regards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.