any opinion about those two ebay dacs?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
john65b said:
I saw those DACs myself...I would also be interested in the replies...

John i contacted the guys in hifinet for one of the dac's (schematics etc, in case i was lucky enough) and the guy there introduce me to this !!
http://translate.google.com/transla...ww.hifidiy.net/jhwz/200807/t20080707_1638.htm

And this seems quite intresting !
Much better components and it looks more professional built.
Still i havent heard it though.
I did order one of those just to test it.

Let you know what i will find.

fugazied said:
Did any of you guys purchase it? I have to say that sellers ebay shop has some nice components, if I was a little more confident with my electronics I'd build one
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

As i said, i just ordered the one in my last posting which was looking far more intresting.
Soonest i bulit it i would be able sto say a word or two. :clown:

Nick

Just gor the components of the dac from the post office today !! They had them since 16th of March but no one bothered to notify me.:whazzat:

I got the parcel and all looks neat and ok, since i will start building it i will let you know.
The surface mount components though trouble me a little.

A question. This device is equipped with pcm1798, is it possible to put 1794 with mods?
I ask because its surface mounted and i hate desoldering.
:dead:

Thanx

Started to assemble it but its going opposite to my nature hehe.
So i ordered the 1794 chip instead of the 1798 that has on it, so i wait until its i have it on my hands because its smd and needs to be installed first.

hoping this weekend to finish it, if i am lucky enough.
The guy though was kind enough to send me the schematics, are you interested in those?

Nick

Ok latest frustrating news

Yesterday i finished the dac but...
First the laptops were not updated ( i thing sp3 is needed in xp) so the usb recognize the device but prompt it will not worked. And it did not.
I tried with foobar 2000 and kernel avoiding but nothing.

So i put it in a desktop computer and voila !! it was recognized!!
Though it produced craking and ticking noises instead of sound.

So i thing the smd soldering might have to do with it.
Any ideas?

nick

Attachments

• img_0177.jpg
    img_0177.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 345
thanx for the comment. :D

No coax, in the evening i will do the rest of testing and measurements and try to locate the error.

Smd's are a pain. Anyways i will post photos after the enclosure and test results as well. Maybe the schematics if any one is interested in those.

:)

Nick

Ok here are some of the first results after fixing the error.

The error of course was in smd soldering duh!!!:dead:

After fixing it i tried everything with a copland amp, crystal audio system8 speakers and as source a laptop connected in the usb input of the dac and playing only flac's !!

results:

The crystal audio speakers are tower transmission lines but not very capable in the bass area without a subwoffer.
So i did expected tat the bass will be crippled somehow.

But the mids and that highs were killers !!!!!!!!! i did not wanted to stop !!!! as the time passed and the machine and tube was burning in, the sound expanded more.

After classical piano Amy winehouse came in. And i was amazed. I though she was there playing and perhaps drinking !!!

I did tried to work it as op amp and not tube output but the result comparing to tube was just poor!. So switched back to tube very very fast. Maybe this will change if i exchange the opamps with discrete.

So then i tried the optical input. I had an old cheapy dvd pleyer (united 35 euros) .

Again i was amazed.

Overall first impression. it worth all the trouble !!!!!!!! and more.

So stay tuned as i will test it with ATC 7 speakers and chipamps from Peter daniel.

Nick

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.