12x TDA1543 at 6V, output and Vref Resistor values

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If I want to parallel 12 TDA1543 and supply them with 6V, for the passive I/V stage, what would be the optimal values for AOL, AOR, and Vref? I choose 6V as compromise between 5V (too smooth and too soft) and 7-8V (slightly rough and need for heatsinks). I have searched, but the results always seem to concern 5v and 8v configurations.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
This calculator is pure Theory based on the datasheet minimum and maximum values specified and seems to have no relation to the real world I am afraid

My values are based on real measurement of currents and clipping points checked with a FFT analyzer....

On top of that checked several Bias points sound wise to tune this...

on 6 Volt the best midpoint is 2,5 Volt
on 8 Volt the best mid point is 3,85 Volt

which are completely different from the "calculator"

why ?

Hi Mudihan,

I think, It does't make sense run TDA1543 at 5V. The DAC isn't so good. At higher PS level 8 V and more the THD goes down. I use 9 V, but I use cooler, I have tested, that TDA1543 survive 9,2 V. I every case measure the THD level, don't rely on this calculator ...

dusr_123: I do not plan to make a heatsink or use a fan for the set up. So the highest I could go is probably 6.5V.

dddac: Thanks. I have actually read a lot on your website. Do you think that output from the DAC(s) would be very low? I am asking since I only use a 25k ladder-type volume control before my power amp. Also, just out of curiosity, what would be the ideal resistor values if I were to use 7V?

xaudiox: Thanks. I had built a 8v 3xTDA1543 DAC before using that format, and it didn't work very well -- there were distortions. At that time, I had to change the values to make them work. So I think that those TDAs can not be pushed to their theoretical limits. There may be a few lucky ones and I will certainly order an extra set of resistors based on those calculations.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
With 7 Volt, a good start would be:

Rref 90Ohm
Rload 100 Ohm
midpoint 3,3 volts

It seems your negative experience with 8 Volt, beside the cooling of course, is about wrong bias and load ?

Remember what values you actually used there ?

Sound tests proof for me also above 8 Volt sounds the best. But bias must be ok of course

Cooling is a point of course if you are not using sophisticated tools or fans

Just to restore an old topic.

Midpoint is dc bias?
Should I measure it in Vref and ground?

Thanks!
With 7 Volt, a good start would be:

Rref 90Ohm
Rload 100 Ohm
midpoint 3,3 volts

It seems your negative experience with 8 Volt, beside the cooling of course, is about wrong bias and load ?

Remember what values you actually used there ?

Sound tests proof for me also above 8 Volt sounds the best. But bias must be ok of course

Cooling is a point of course if you are not using sophisticated tools or fans

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Just to restore an old topic.

Midpoint is dc bias?
Should I measure it in Vref and ground?

Thanks!

there is general riule like half....

I did some listening tests and my preference is:

Ub = 8V Vbias = 3,8V
UB = 6V Vbias = 2,5V

of course the load need to be such, that the dac is not clipping at 0dB
which can be easily measured with every soundcard and a fft program

Im sorry for hijacking this thread.
Hey dddac.
But what are best values ( Rref, Rload and Bias) to 4 TDA1543 in 8.5V.
And for 8 and 12 TDA1543?

Thanks

there is general riule like half....

I did some listening tests and my preference is:

Ub = 8V Vbias = 3,8V
UB = 6V Vbias = 2,5V

of course the load need to be such, that the dac is not clipping at 0dB
which can be easily measured with every soundcard and a fft program

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.