PMD200 for DACdigital filter

Attachments

• pmd200.jpg
    pmd200.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 627
The PMD200 is based on the DSP56300 DSP programmable digital signal processor from Motorola. The only datasheet I found (56 pages) states that all specs are preliminary, based on design simulations and not fully tested or guaranteed. It also sais that ordering information will be published when it becomes available. I'm therefore not sure if this has ever been a real product. Maybe an aborted project after Microsoft's acquisition of Pacific Microsonic? On the other hand, some folks here seem to have chips and they also seem to be offered from China. It would be really interesting if somebody could shed some light on the history of this device.

Javin5 said:
The PMD200 is based on the DSP56300 DSP programmable digital signal processor from Motorola. The only datasheet I found (56 pages) states that all specs are preliminary, based on design simulations and not fully tested or guaranteed. It also sais that ordering information will be published when it becomes available. I'm therefore not sure if this has ever been a real product. Maybe an aborted project after Microsoft's acquisition of Pacific Microsonic? On the other hand, some folks here seem to have chips and they also seem to be offered from China. It would be really interesting if somebody could shed some light on the history of this device.

This is also my recollection as well. I'm not sure if it was ever a product, although it is rumored there are a few out there as samples. PMD's chip business was shutdown by MS. MS primarily wanted PMD's IP for Windows Media Player.

PMD was clearly moving in the direction of licensing IP for embedded onboard devices, rather than manufacturing ASIC's. Personally, I have never heard of a product that shipped with a PMD200 chip. That does not mean products were never shipped, just I've never heard of any.

One curious item. We have seen a continuos stream of PMD100's over the years, but not the PMD200. Perhaps someone in Asia has built a part from the licensed DSP algorithms? Just a guess on my part.

Some of the PMD engineers have broken away from MS and are now making a DAC with this type of technology. They are in Berkeley, Ca.

-David

Hi Telstar,

I believe the Naim players you are referring too have a DSP with the PDM IP licensed and included as a component of the overall DSP software. Would you happen to know if they used the PDM200 as a standalone filter or the PDM200 technology alone with their own code as well?

I believe, but not certain, the Naim players used the PDM code but not the specific chip mentioned in this thread.

It would be great if you have any specific insight or knowledge.

Thank you,

-David

Joined 2005
Paid Member
The Assmbelage DAC 3.1 from the old Parts Connexion used the PMD 200 - friends and I have a couple of them so it did make it into a 24/96 product with balanced pair of 1704 DACs per channnel - the older DAC 3.0 used the PMD 100 or the Burr Brown digital filer - it was a plug in chip on the digital board of the DAC 3.0 - the Burr Brown sounded better, but didn have HDCD

The PMD 200 sounds better than either of them. I use it today with Erno Borbely's all discrete jfet I/V converter and buffers.

The Japanee link above to the Parts coonection DAC 2.7 shows it implimeneted with single ended output. the Dac 3.1 has a lower jitter dual PLL and other digital refinements along with the balanced Dual DAC implimentation.