DAC project completed - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 10th February 2009, 07:30 PM   #31
Hurtig is offline Hurtig  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Algar_emi
Hi Kurt von Kubik. What are the part number, manufacturer and distributor and these nice PC mount RCA connectors? Thanks...
You will not be able to buy from this manufacturer as a private person. And anyway, the MOQ is 1000USD.
So if you only need a few, it's not possible.

I have some i stock, and if you need some, just say the word

Old 10th February 2009, 07:33 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hifimaker
[B]

I agree with the above quote.

Also, the cs4398 is not as detailed and much more relaxed than the AKM4396. The AKM4396 is an outstanding voltage out chip. This is my experience working with the respective company's eval boards. The cs4398 is clean and clear sounding, but very mellow and relaxed. It's the least musically involving chip sigma-delta chip I've heard.
As mentioned before, this very much depends on the actual application. I guess you will be surpriced of the musicality, details and easy of sound from our implementation of the CS4398.

Quote:

AKM is also a easier company to do business with as well, from my experiences.

-David

My guess is, that this is why DIY-people like "the sound" of AKM-chips

Old 10th February 2009, 07:43 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Post USB support

We have been talking about USB, since this seems to be very hot these days. But we decided to say NO WAY!!

USB is just about the least suited interface for digital audio, since it will transmit in packages = jitter!
Also as KvK mentioned, connecting a pc electrically to this DAC, will be very bad. The pc will conduct extreme amounts of noise into the circuits. This is also the case in known USB supporting DAC's, but normally these use op-amps. And then the sound may very well be to compressed and free of music, to hear the draw backs of connecting to the pc.

We have discussed hove to solve this, and we agreed that "We do not want any pc interface in the DAC".
The solution may be to develop an external USB to SPDIF converter, with built in jitter reduction and optical isolation. This way we can keep the noisy pc away from the DAC circuits.

Old 10th February 2009, 07:44 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Kurt von Kubik
Quote:

I agree with the above quote.

Also, the cs4398 is not as detailed and much more relaxed than the AKM4396. The AKM4396 is an outstanding voltage out chip. This is my experience working with the respective company's eval boards. The cs4398 is clean and clear sounding, but very mellow and relaxed. It's the least musically involving chip sigma-delta chip I've heard.

AKM is also a easier company to do business with as well, from my experiences.

-David
I will not doubt any of your observations, but one implementation of i.e WM8740 I´ve heard is the Rega Apollo, which I find a lot more mellow and overrelaxed as I do the 4398 chip.
I think it has a lot to do with implementation.
With different supplies and surrounding circuitry we´ve had the 4398 both singing and snorring
I don´t think it would be very different with other makes.

Old 10th February 2009, 08:21 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hurtig
I am aware of the DIR's from Wolfson and TI, but I do not agree that they are better.
They both have better jitter spec's, at least in the datasheet. 100ps where the CS has 150ps max.
But in real life, jitter performance is also a matter of a well designed PCB. And in pratice I don't think you wil achieve better jitter performance than we do on the CS8416.
On the other side, the Crystal version is and has always been ultimately stabil. Look back in time, and you will find that at least the old TI DIR's was not. CS8416 will lock on just about anything.
Please read the following presentations and perhaps you will see why the WM8804 is so clearly superior to the CS8416.

http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/uploads/...May%202007.pdf
http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/uploads/...Oct%202006.pdf

I have been told that the competitive part in this paper is the CS8416. And yes, I remember the issues TI had with their earlier receivers.

Quote:
Originally posted by Hurtig
About the WM8740 and AK4396, you may be right... But still. How did you test this?? Most people test different DAC's by placing them in the same setup, using the same analog stage etc. And that would be fine... Or that's what you think! But the problem is (And that's what often goes wrong). The circuit that works well on one DAC, will not automatically work well on the other. In other words: Comparing DAC-chips this way, will mostly give you an idea of how the DAC-chips works with analog stage and PSU you use.
Try to evaluate a set of F1 wheels against a pair of original VW Golf wheels, on a VW Golf. I guess the original will be the best solution... But that does only refelct the fact, that the F1 wheels does not fit the VW Golf.
I think the question is, have you tried the WM8740 or AK4396? You have so far done exceptional work with the CS4398, and you have probably reached very close to its maximum potential (except for the receiver, see above). Now you need to move on and try other DACs.

Just so this post doesn't come out all negative, the CS4398 is by no means a slouch, and you have done an exceptional job. Keep it up.

Old 11th February 2009, 04:56 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

Default Re: volume control of the rotary encoder

Quote:
Originally posted by Danilo Almeida
hello friends .. sorry bothered you.
I am from Brazil and here is the end of the world when it comes to rotary encoders and LCD display.
ae I seek you aqui.desculpa the mistakes most do not speak the language of you turn to me here with a translator online.

wanted a project to control audio
which has a display on LCD display and volume control of the rotary encoder

ae someone have any schema.
and the code of the microcontroller for me.
may be a link.

Danilo,

Are you looking for a control for a preamp for volume and source selection?

Perhaps we can help with more information.

-David

Old 11th February 2009, 06:26 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cauhtemoc

Please read the following presentations and perhaps you will see why the WM8804 is so clearly superior to the CS8416.

http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/uploads/...May%202007.pdf
http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/uploads/...Oct%202006.pdf

I have been told that the competitive part in this paper is the CS8416. And yes, I remember the issues TI had with their earlier receivers.

I think the question is, have you tried the WM8740 or AK4396? You have so far done exceptional work with the CS4398, and you have probably reached very close to its maximum potential (except for the receiver, see above). Now you need to move on and try other DACs.

Just so this post doesn't come out all negative, the CS4398 is by no means a slouch, and you have done an exceptional job. Keep it up.

We clearly have a different approach to the art of developing High End Audio gear.
If you read the documentation on a typical op-amp, it is clear to most people, that it is way better than our discrete non-feedback analog desing. But if you listen, the world is somehow different.

I have not tested Wolfson DIR, since I have very good experience with the CS8416.
My best guess is, that if you ask Crystal, you will get a quite different story, than if you ask Wolfson. I do not argue the fact, that the Wolfson have better jitter specifications. But what are they in real world applications?

About the DAC, CS4398. You state very clearly, that now we have to try another DAC-chip. But why?? We have achieved a performance with the CS4398, that is far ahead from everything we have ever heard before. And as mentioned several times: The DAC chip is not the only place you achieve the performance. Experiments has shown, that the analog stage and power supplys are much more important.

Anyway, I will contact Wolfson, and ask for some samples for evaluation.
Which Wolfson DAC is the best these days?? WM8740, WM8741 or WM8742??

Old 11th February 2009, 07:43 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

perhaps check this topic before it sinks too low:
Wolfson's Elastic Buffer SPDIF receiver ?

Old 11th February 2009, 08:17 AM   #39
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Danilo Almeida
Default hifimaker hello friend ..

hifimaker hello friend .. this is exactly what I try .. a sketch of a project to control the volume with digital LCD and rotary encoder can someone pass me a diagram or a link where I can find e bothered me stop you is that aki in brasil ta hard to find any such scheme.
excuse the errors more to using a translator to communicate with you

Old 11th February 2009, 08:32 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

Question what is the intent of this discussion? schematics, schematics, schematics

Dear Hurtig and Kurt von Kubik,

sorry but I have to ask for another time:
please share your technical approach not only with describing words but with schematics or clearifying photos...to get transparency into the whole thing...

you may stress for hundred times again and again that the miracle of good sound is at least the (your) optimization of each step within the relationship of all the parts to each other....without information this is 'idle talk'...

...your work seems to be impressive enough for all of us ...so that we keep being courious onto your approach....but without a real basis for the discussion.... it seriously do not help furthermore!

by the way: I think a lot of the people in this forum are aware of the point, that the optimization/adaption of the parts to each other is the most important thing in creating 'High End'...and also the more sophisticated massproducing companies are even aware of this point: just the Marantz devellopment/producing of the CD 7 in 1998/1999 showed to the whole 'stunning' world that you can get outstanding results even out of 12 years old dacs (1541A emerged around 1987 I guess) and this was in that time absulteley not 'up to date'--they did something that was absoluteley unexpected--- but they did it...

...in every case the point is to invest the utmost passion onto your technical approach...

...so that is not the point...!!

...the point is: schematics , schematics, schematics (at least good pictures)

...or how did you produce/work out your professionally looking PCB ???

so far
suchtgutenklang

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!