DAC project completed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hurtig said:
We clearly have a different approach to the art of developing High End Audio gear.
If you read the documentation on a typical op-amp, it is clear to most people, that it is way better than our discrete non-feedback analog desing. But if you listen, the world is somehow different.

Being an engineer, I believe measurements do indeed matter, and I spend a great deal measuring and simulating. With that said however, I also avoid feedback if possible, simply because I have found it to sound better. And for the same reason I prefer the AK4396 or WM8740 over the CS4398, they sound better.

It is also interesting to note that you chose a no feedback analog stage becuase it sounds better, yet you chose the CS4398 because it had the lowest THD. A bit contradictory don't you think? :)

Hurtig said:
I have not tested Wolfson DIR, since I have very good experience with the CS8416.
My best guess is, that if you ask Crystal, you will get a quite different story, than if you ask Wolfson. I do not argue the fact, that the Wolfson have better jitter specifications. But what are they in real world applications?

Actually, I have talked to a representative at Crystal about the WM8804, and while he unofficially acknowledged that it probably was league above the CS8416, the official response was very similar to yours, that it is a well proven device with a proven track record.

You also have to remember that the CS8416 is old. It is pretty much the same design as the CS8412, which was introduced in 1998. Back then it was very good, the only competitor at the time was YM3623B, which could have as much as 2 ns of jitter (truth be told there was also the SAA7274, which is probably the best SPDIF receiver ever made, although it went out of production almost before it started).

Hurtig said:
About the DAC, CS4398. You state very clearly, that now we have to try another DAC-chip. But why?? We have achieved a performance with the CS4398, that is far ahead from everything we have ever heard before. And as mentioned several times: The DAC chip is not the only place you achieve the performance. Experiments has shown, that the analog stage and power supplys are much more important.

Of course you don't have to try other DACs. If you are happy with the performance you are getting now then by all means leave it as it is. However if you are still looking to improve it you should try the Wolfson DACs, or better yet, the new AKM DACs. Trust me on this, those Scotts and Japs know what they are doing. :)

Hurtig said:
Anyway, I will contact Wolfson, and ask for some samples for evaluation.
Which Wolfson DAC is the best these days?? WM8740, WM8741 or WM8742??

The WM8741 and WM8742 are their two top DACs, and the difference between them should be quite small. The people at Wolfson are very firendly, I do not think you will have any problems getting samples of the WM8804 or any DAC of your choice.

Re: what is the intent of this discussion? schematics, schematics, schematics

suchtgutenklang said:
Dear Hurtig and Kurt von Kubik,

sorry but I have to ask for another time:
please share your technical approach not only with describing words but with schematics or clearifying photos...to get transparency into the whole thing...

you may stress for hundred times again and again that the miracle of good sound is at least the (your) optimization of each step within the relationship of all the parts to each other....without information this is 'idle talk'...

...your work seems to be impressive enough for all of us ...so that we keep being courious onto your approach....but without a real basis for the discussion.... it seriously do not help furthermore!

by the way: I think a lot of the people in this forum are aware of the point, that the optimization/adaption of the parts to each other is the most important thing in creating 'High End'...and also the more sophisticated massproducing companies are even aware of this point: just the Marantz devellopment/producing of the CD 7 in 1998/1999 showed to the whole 'stunning' world that you can get outstanding results even out of 12 years old dacs (1541A emerged around 1987 I guess) and this was in that time absulteley not 'up to date'--they did something that was absoluteley unexpected--- but they did it...

...in every case the point is to invest the utmost passion onto your technical approach...

...so that is not the point...!!

...the point is: schematics , schematics, schematics (at least good pictures)

...or how did you produce/work out your professionally looking PCB ???

so far
suchtgutenklang

Hallo Suchtgutenklang!
As you see I´ve uploaded a few more shots in high rez for you to study. The scematics are not yet complete, mostly because we did a lot of alterations to the construction during develpment, so having updated scematics on the fly, we felt were a bit luxuary :D. We still did not create the final scematics yet simply.

Btw. I can tell you that the groundplane on the buttom also is used as cooling for the shunts, though we in addition to that guides the heat further down into the buttom of the aluminium casing. This makes a nice and cosy case to touch. ;)
There are still a few small matters to deal with in the decoupling of the PSU´s for the chips.
At this point we i.e. chose to use just film capacitors in decoupling the analog section in the CS4398. We tried to use ceramics, but with no go. Any suggestions besides the Wima cap chosen?
Mostly the whole construction avoids bypass caps, instead we chose to use caps suited for the job where possible, or we did construct us out of the need for caps.
I may call myself a caphater I think :D.

Thank you Kurt von Kubik,

now it goes way better to get an impression:
will say: the way over ImageShack works fine ;-) and the quality of the photos is very good

but one more question...maybe a little bit of luxury ;-))

please additionally one more photo in the bird's eye view

then everybody gets nearly a view like on a schematics

would be great!!

cheers
suchtgutenklang

Here we go I hope!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

If you want a good laugh, you can have a look at our completely worn out prototype - the PCB on the side is actually the shunts, as it was not originally designed with shunts.
Also the regulators for the digital section was originally designed a lot different from the one in the new design.

On top of that - the kaos is created by a lot of chip decoupling experiments.

I knowit looks lika a time bomb, but relax - it isn´t :D

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Btw. There is actually components on both sides of the PCB.
On the new design it´s just the opamps for the servo and a few surrounding resistors.
The phono receptacles on the first photo,wasn´t soldered, because we wanted to test other models like the Canare 75 Ohm RCA receptacle and maybe Neutrik RCA´s for the analogs.

We also chose to run the 4398 in the power up mode, which means that it doesn´t go of during silence, but stays on.
This results in minor noise during silence, but we think that´s a fair trade for an ever ready chip, which by experience performs best after some hours on.

Re: hifimaker hello friend ..

Danilo Almeida said:
hifimaker hello friend .. this is exactly what I try .. a sketch of a project to control the volume with digital LCD and rotary encoder can someone pass me a diagram or a link where I can find e bothered me stop you is that aki in brasil ta hard to find any such scheme.
excuse the errors more to using a translator to communicate with you

Here are a couple of websites that sell preamp controls:
http://electronics.dantimax.dk/Kits/index.html
http://www.twistedpearaudio.com/control/jt.aspx

Twisted Pair Thread:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=74224&perpage=50&pagenumber=1

Hope this helps in getting you started.

-David

Cauhtemoc said:

Being an engineer, I believe measurements do indeed matter, and I spend a great deal measuring and simulating. With that said however, I also avoid feedback if possible, simply because I have found it to sound better. And for the same reason I prefer the AK4396 or WM8740 over the CS4398, they sound better.

It is also interesting to note that you chose a no feedback analog stage becuase it sounds better, yet you chose the CS4398 because it had the lowest THD. A bit contradictory don't you think? :)

Actually, I have talked to a representative at Crystal about the WM8804, and while he unofficially acknowledged that it probably was league above the CS8416, the official response was very similar to yours, that it is a well proven device with a proven track record.

You also have to remember that the CS8416 is old. It is pretty much the same design as the CS8412, which was introduced in 1998. Back then it was very good, the only competitor at the time was YM3623B, which could have as much as 2 ns of jitter (truth be told there was also the SAA7274, which is probably the best SPDIF receiver ever made, although it went out of production almost before it started).

Of course you don't have to try other DACs. If you are happy with the performance you are getting now then by all means leave it as it is. However if you are still looking to improve it you should try the Wolfson DACs, or better yet, the new AKM DACs. Trust me on this, those Scotts and Japs know what they are doing. :)

The WM8741 and WM8742 are their two top DACs, and the difference between them should be quite small. The people at Wolfson are very firendly, I do not think you will have any problems getting samples of the WM8804 or any DAC of your choice.

I'm not really sure about your intentions in Audio. My goal is tho have the best possible sound. To me it sounds like you are more into choosing the components you think is best, and then live with the sound it produces.

Question is: If for examble: What if you listened to our DAC, and accepted that it was the best you ever heard. Would you then be able to live with the fact that it was based on IC's from Crystal?? Or would you comprimise the sound, to get a Wolfson based DAC??

I'm not trying to take sides in this DAC chip argument but I thought I'd check to see what chip the Bryston BDA-1 DAC uses as this seems to be getting praised as a fantastic new product. As you can see HERE it uses the crystal CS-4398. The BDA-1 cost's $1995 and I've heard of people swapping $5000 DAC's in preference of the BDA-1, so the CS-4398 surely can't be that bad.

Hurtig said:
I'm not really sure about your intentions in Audio. My goal is tho have the best possible sound. To me it sounds like you are more into choosing the components you think is best, and then live with the sound it produces.

Then you have misunderstood me, my goal is certainly also to have the best possible sound. I try to evaluate each component and choose the one I think sounds best.

Hurtig said:
Question is: If for examble: What if you listened to our DAC, and accepted that it was the best you ever heard. Would you then be able to live with the fact that it was based on IC's from Crystal?? Or would you comprimise the sound, to get a Wolfson based DAC??

If this were to happen, I would try to find out what makes your DAC the best, and if this turns out to be the CS4398, I would no longer consider it inferior to the WM8740 for example, and I would of course not "downgrade" to the Wolfson DAC.

DavidJE said:
I'm not trying to take sides in this DAC chip argument but I thought I'd check to see what chip the Bryston BDA-1 DAC uses as this seems to be getting praised as a fantastic new product. As you can see HERE it uses the crystal CS-4398. The BDA-1 cost's $1995 and I've heard of people swapping $5000 DAC's in preference of the BDA-1, so the CS-4398 surely can't be that bad.

I never said it was bad, in fact it is far from bad, I just said that the WM8740 or AK4396 was better.

Hurtig said:

I just went through my parts bin and found a couple of spare WM8740 and AK4396. Drop me an email I can send them to you for you to evaluate. Perhaps then you will see what I mean. :)

Well I don´t think it is possible to choose anything that might make everyone happy really!

From my viewpoint the CS4398 is a chip as cool as they get these days.
I know it is possible to twist its sound pretty much hardly doing nothing, just altering the decoupling of i.e. the PSU for the analog section, and suddenly you´ll find it sound very different.
If you then hook it up with an analog stage of the kind we did, I guarantee that you can hear it was tweaked.
To me it is indeed very difficult to discuss wether this or this chip might be better, as the context is also different.
Looking back on the listening experience with different chips I´d never think of Wolfson as an alternative, neither AKM. It would be Burr Brown, but as already mentioned, the BB is more difficult to implement, and it might actually be, that the superior specs of 1794A precisely is acomplished because it does not contain the circuitry that is extra needed - just an idea.
The 32 bits sample length in both Wolfson and AKM I consider not of any interest to us. We have 16 bit information on CD´s, and most high rez. recordings is done 24/192 of which both 8416 and 4398 is perfectly capable, we do not intend to do any upsampling either.
In other words I´d not give any attention to these chips, mostly because the rest of the DACs components is of bigger importance, and next because I never really liked them.
I also do need another reason than "it sounds better", because I need to know what better?
Generally the attention is always attracted to the points on which the light shines, very seldom to where the problem really is.
Exactly that is the reason why we do not implement a 120.000µF electrolytic bank, heavy 750 VA RC transformers, 8 DAC chips per channel and a single transistor output stage with a 1000$ cap.
A lot would like that and even be impressed, we´ve seen the quest from a somewhat different viewpoint, where low supply noise, low impedance. a capacitorfree signalpath, carefully designed filtration and most of all a no feed back design has been attended thorougly.
If not close to end of life the Burr Brown PCM1704 easily could have found its way into our project. It was the target chip in the beginning, but it was at a critical point NRND, although it actually has turned into an active component again. But life is certainly a lot easier implementing complete stereo systems with onboard filters than 4 DACs and one NPC filter chip.
Anyways - I think Hurtig might give the Wolfson reciever a try sometime even though I´d rather not.

Hi KvK and Hurtig,

What I can conclude from this thread is that you guys designed nice peace of audio hardware. Later on you realized that low ground noise is the name of the game and absolute prerequisite to achieve high quality sound. In other words – no doubt that 5-6 years spent on this project has ripped benefits.

What I don’t understand is the intention of this thread:
We are all more or less aware of your findings that took you 5-6 years or R&D.
You can not really puzzle most of us by saying that you have a fantastic design.
If you don’t provide the circuit diagram and PCB layout, YOU and US are both at loss. We are both wasting time.
YOU are not going to receive our suggestions on improving your design (which you may or may not discard a priori – up to your egos…).
US will not learn absolutely anything from this thread.

This is DIY site – either share for mutual benefit, or make it commercial thru different channels.

Best Regards,
Boky

Kurt von Kubik said:
Well I don´t think it is possible to choose anything that might make everyone happy really!

From my viewpoint the CS4398 is a chip as cool as they get these days.
I know it is possible to twist its sound pretty much hardly doing nothing, just altering the decoupling of i.e. the PSU for the analog section, and suddenly you´ll find it sound very different.
If you then hook it up with an analog stage of the kind we did, I guarantee that you can hear it was tweaked.
To me it is indeed very difficult to discuss wether this or this chip might be better, as the context is also different.
Looking back on the listening experience with different chips I´d never think of Wolfson as an alternative, neither AKM. It would be Burr Brown, but as already mentioned, the BB is more difficult to implement, and it might actually be, that the superior specs of 1794A precisely is acomplished because it does not contain the circuitry that is extra needed - just an idea.
The 32 bits sample length in both Wolfson and AKM I consider not of any interest to us. We have 16 bit information on CD´s, and most high rez. recordings is done 24/192 of which both 8416 and 4398 is perfectly capable, we do not intend to do any upsampling either.
In other words I´d not give any attention to these chips, mostly because the rest of the DACs components is of bigger importance, and next because I never really liked them.
I also do need another reason than "it sounds better", because I need to know what better?
Generally the attention is always attracted to the points on which the light shines, very seldom to where the problem really is.
Exactly that is the reason why we do not implement a 120.000µF electrolytic bank, heavy 750 VA RC transformers, 8 DAC chips per channel and a single transistor output stage with a 1000$ cap.
A lot would like that and even be impressed, we´ve seen the quest from a somewhat different viewpoint, where low supply noise, low impedance. a capacitorfree signalpath, carefully designed filtration and most of all a no feed back design has been attended thorougly.
If not close to end of life the Burr Brown PCM1704 easily could have found its way into our project. It was the target chip in the beginning, but it was at a critical point NRND, although it actually has turned into an active component again. But life is certainly a lot easier implementing complete stereo systems with onboard filters than 4 DACs and one NPC filter chip.
Anyways - I think Hurtig might give the Wolfson reciever a try sometime even though I´d rather not.

I will stop arguing now. I have given you my opinion about the DAC and SPDIF receiver, you have given me yours, let's leave it at that and move on.

On another note, I think a lot of people would like to see your schematics. It would be most interesting to see how you implemented your analog stage or the PSU for example.

I see that a lot of users are intersted in the schematic. Currently I am still working on these.
But I don't really see why they are so interesting :rolleyes:
As I have mentioned several times, it is not a matter of using the right schematic or the best components. It's "simply" a matter of "matching" the schematic, components and real-life implemnetation.
Change one transistor to a different type, and you may end up with a crappy DAC. Change the PCB layout slightly, and you may see the same result...

You should consider the art of building audio gear, as building a violin I have not yet seen the cookbook of building the perfect Stradivarius. Simply because it is pure craftmanship.

DavidJE said:

Not a Bryston fan by a long shot but your comparison is unfair. Bryston use some proven antijitter techniques which make the marriage of a mediocre receiver and dac tolerable. Do you know any of the "people swapping $5000 DAC's in preference of the BDA-1"? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.