SATA CD drive for digital audio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I've been thinking about using standard SATA CD drives for an audio CD player.

My initial idea is to have a SATA-to-X bridge chip, where X is understood by an FPGA. That way the FPGA can translate to whatever audio format is needed.

Are there ongoing projects that touch on this?

Cheers,
Børge

The simplest thing to do is to get a SATA-IDE adapter, but if you do that you might as well start with a PATA drive in the first place. Then you are on well-trod ground; see the thread on CD drive controllers.

More complicated options: 1) Find a SATA PHY (I can't find any in small quantity) and attach it to an FPGA. 2) Use a FPGA with a SERDES interface, such as a Virtex-4/5 or Lattice ECP2M.

I think that there s on the market a few HDD media centres aviable with embeded spdif outputs and remote controls (icidu media player or simillar), so proper ripped music could be storaged, and listened. Also, small cheap asus eepc based on linux or stripped xp could drive auxillary HDD drives and usb dac-s, so there s no need to make things more complicate. Also there s "Direct" multi purpose insert device on which you could connect sata or ide drives and connect them via usb to any audio device with usb input.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.