Experience with this DIY DAC ?

I think it does.

Just finished adding my Altec/Peerless transformers......and I am speechless how much of an improvement i is to any opamp output stage. Very highly recommended - as has been written here before many times....Anyway, thx for the admittedly long but very useful thread!

Hi,
I used the edcor's and notice a big bass and clarity right away I bet a good set of transformers really do sound great!:):)

hi there

i apologize if maybe soumeone else asked this same question but... does this dac work without CS8421 (oversampling circuit) ? on some pics i see jumpers instead of mounted circuit

thanks for your reply
Hi,
I am on another computer and don't have my files, but if I remember correctly,you can unplug that board and it will work ,I think it's in the first part of this thread about that,I'll look when I get home.:D

could somebody help me out on how i would connect jensen je-10kb-c to this board? the trafos leave me with extra set of grounding wires that i have no idea what i should do with- do i just tie them to common ground?

they are the equivalent of JT-10KB-D

i just realized that this is a step down trafo.... don't i need 1:4 for pcm179x chips? this one is 4:1...

Last edited:
turn it around =) yep I just checked, I dont see why that wouldnt work. connect the shields to the chassis ground/shield connection I would think. so use the output as the input, it shouldnt matter since its designed for balanced input and balanced output and only has a single primary and single secondary

Last edited:
by 4 extra wires you mean the total for the pair yes? no not signal ground, shield/chassis ground, which should be the same ground, but on the other side of a disconnect network. have you got a chassis ground/shield connection that you have connected cable shields to? the 2 wires per transformer are one for the electrostatic shield and one for the can/case, so just treat them like you would a shield/chassis. if you dont have a chassis ground, then yes you can connect to PCB ground.

the trafos i bought used turned out to be defective... no matter which way i connect it i get no sound... i tried capacitor output as a test and took liking to the sound more than i expected so they get to stay ;)

the caps are 10uf epcos motor run caps. genuine oil filled. coming from a 1543 nos dac, the sound is not as organic but the detail on this chip (1798) is unbelievable and it's in no way offensive sounding.

p.s. epcos motor run caps are very very underrated ;)

Last edited:
PCM1798? you are running them directly? where is the resistor? without any IV resistor and just feeding the current out directly into the tx isnt a recipe for success, neither is just a cap. I had assumed you were running a voltage out dac. this way whatever the next resistance, maybe the DC resistance/impedance of the transformer, or the reflected input impedance of your amp after the tx will be acting as your IV stage, not ideal...

hate to say this, take a look at the datasheet =) there will be an IV resistor, I dont use this chip, from memory it has about 5ma p2p current output. use that and ohms law to figure out what your IV resistor should be to get the voltage you want and if using the transformers, divide it by 4

i still much prefer my 1543x4 dac to this one. both are passive out, both have 10uf caps, (oilers with 1798, blackgate with 1543) and 1543 sounds much smoother and richer. 1798 sounds etched in comparison, though the detail is incomparably superior...

what can i do with 1798 to improve the 'musicality' of it? smooth roll off, please?

Does anyone have LM-DAC3 V8 schematics. My seller sent me V5, and keeps telling me that it is the latest design, however there is no trace of L7812 regulator in the schematics, but I have it on the borad. The regulator seems to supply the muting circuit. The seller admits it, but says that it not on the schametics:warped:.

Hi
I have one of the first version of this DAC, oversempling version cs4398+cs8416,
A few days agoo i try to play some HD files 24/192 and i found that this DAC accept only 24/94 the source was a Dune HD max via SPDIF, i try also my computer to play the test files but only the 24/96 play via this DAC. What i must do to play file at 24/192 with this DAC? I try to find a solution here but is to much to read, i lost the thread at page 100 I think, most of the people talk about the output stage for this DAC to little information about the digital section in my opinion.
Any ideea
Best regards

It's a while since I took the lid off my DAC but I believe one of the DIP switches on the CS4398 daughterboard needs to be changed for operation at higher sample rates to put the DAC into the correct mode. It doesn't automatically adapt to the higher sample rates. The first couple of pages of this thread contain some discussion of this.

hi,:)
There is some changes that have to be made ,go here, this is the smd version but the changes still apply,SAME chips,{ http://lampizator.eu/LAMPIZATOR/LAMPUCERA/CD%20DAC%20Lampucera%20lampizator.html}.
Go get the data sheets also some resistors are wrong in the pll circuit and a pin has to be lifted and connected to another chip then it will play 196 ,might find some post by Bill Fuss,He was very helpful when I was doing mine but that's a while back,good luck!more info on Google and on this site!
:D
NS