Experience with this DIY DAC ?

I'm hoping someone can shed some lite to the problem I'm having with DAC.
The DIYDAC is using A-20 transformers and was working fine until about 7 months ago when it decided to pack it in. problem is I get to sound not even static noise from any of the inputs, I have ran a multimeter from input to out and the path is unbroken, could it be the trannies ? and if so would it be safe to bypass them and go straight from the DAC to the ANALOG outs or would this blow the AMP up, it would be great if anyone can think of something as I would rather not have to buy a new one if its something simple that could be fixed.
I have also tried 3 different amps and about 4 different sets of cables, the DAC powers up with pretty lights but its as quite as a mouse.

The A20s are surely not the problem, unless you are running the trafos without series resistors between them and the dac chip, and grounding the primary center tap. If you are using the upsampling board you can remove it and put the 4 jumpers in. If it works now then the upsampler board is dead, which has happened to a few people.
If it still doesn't work then you will need a scope to check the I2S lines from the 8416 to the 4398 chip.

You can run the output to an amp with ground off the board and one output (plus or minus) through a cap, but not directly. There is 2.5VDC on the output legs of the dac chip.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thank you guys, I have decided to give the LL1690 a try.
Unfortenately Legarem doesn't respond to my interest for his LL1690, so I will order a pair in Holland (Price is around 300 USD for a pair) I coul not find really cheaper offers.

I have had ESL57 and ESL63's, now I am using FinalSound 400I, I might go to Martin Logan Spire soon.

regards,

Jan

Hi Jan

I never saw your message for my transformers

They're still for sale

Thanks

The A20s are surely not the problem, unless you are running the trafos without series resistors between them and the dac chip, and grounding the primary center tap. If you are using the upsampling board you can remove it and put the 4 jumpers in. If it works now then the upsampler board is dead, which has happened to a few people.
If it still doesn't work then you will need a scope to check the I2S lines from the 8416 to the 4398 chip.

You can run the output to an amp with ground off the board and one output (plus or minus) through a cap, but not directly. There is 2.5VDC on the output legs of the dac chip.

Good luck!

Bill when you write about removing the upsampling board and put the 4 jumpers in what do you mean, I think I have the board with the daughter card that you just remove if you dont want upsampling.

hi guys

i am interested with this dac.

however there is 2 version. which one should i take?
1. CS8416 Digital receiver +Up-bit modular CS8421 + PCM1798 DAC
New 24/192 DAC DA CONVERTER CS8416+CS8421+PCM1798 USB - eBay (item 160518883450 end time Jan-11-11 23:34:13 PST)

or

2. DIR-9001 Digital receiver + Up-bit modular CS8421 + CS4398 DAC
Gigawork DIR-9001 24/192 Up-sampling DAC DA CONVERTER - eBay (item 160510993000 end time Dec-24-10 23:38:54 PST)

whats the pro and cons of both boards

thanks in adv

erwin

Bill when you write about removing the upsampling board and put the 4 jumpers in what do you mean, I think I have the board with the daughter card that you just remove if you dont want upsampling.

If you remove the daughter board there are 4 jumpers needed to restore the signal path. You should have received them with the Dac but I didn't either. They are the same as the ones on the input matrix.

hi guys

New 24/192 DAC DA CONVERTER CS8416+CS8421+PCM1798 USB - eBay (item 160518883450 end time Jan-11-11 23:34:13 PST)

or

Gigawork DIR-9001 24/192 Up-sampling DAC DA CONVERTER - eBay (item 160510993000 end time Dec-24-10 23:38:54 PST)

thanks in adv

erwin

Erwin,

I've never heard either one of those combinations. Some like the 9001 better than the 8416 receiver.

The 1798 is a current output chip, the 4398 is a voltage output chip. If you had transformer output in mind the 4398 is definately the way to go unless you know what you're doing with I/V conversion.

Combinations

hi guys

or

thanks in adv

erwin
If you have a soldering iron, you can do a direct out mod. I have read many different reports of direct out mods to CS43122, 4397, 4398, AK4393,4395, and 4396 and all report a big improvement in the sonics. I have never read of anyone that tried direct and went back to active. Except for the I out chips such as PCM1798/ 1794 which sound best with a tube I/V conversion. My simple transformer I/V with the 1798 is not quite as good as any of the V out chips I have. If you want to mod you will want the 4398 for sure. I bought several different modules and two boards in order to compare the many different modules. The DIR9001 definitely sounds way better than the CS8416 but has problems with it's input switching. One of my 9001 only locks to the RCA and one only locks to the optical regardless of the input selector settings. And, neither upsampler works at all with either 9001. Also ask the seller if you can purchase an 8416 module in case the 9001 still has bugs. My CS43122 dacs sound better than the PCM1798 but can't use the upsampler either due to a low level whine so I would go with the 4398. Too bad because even despite the whine, the upsampler does sound better even though I can already upsample in my SCR2496. Upsampling somewhere sounds better. I haven't read about any problems upsampling into the 4398. Maybe the upsampler is doing for the 8416, and then some, what the DIR9001 already does via their onboard clocks. I would go with an 8416, 4398, with the upsampler and purchase a 9001 for $20 as an experiment if you don't mind wasting the money in the case that it still doesn't work right. shipping is expensive so it will be cheaper to buy the spare module together with the initial purchase just in case. It should be no problem for the seller to sell you the other input board if you ask him. Be very careful when trying to remove the modules as the high quality milled pin sockets fit very tight and are brittle. Very easy to snap if the module doesn't come straight up.

"I have never read of anyone that tried direct and went back to active"

At least i did´nt..
I bought a DIR9001 after I bought my board with CS8416 and now I use the DIR9001.I only use the coaxial input anyway so..
I tried the PCM1794 with trafo output,but I think the CS4398 beats it,so now I use it with a trafo output.
And yes i use the SCR2496 upsampler to.

Upsampler?

"I have never read of anyone that tried direct and went back to active"

At least i did´nt..
I bought a DIR9001 after I bought my board with CS8416 and now I use the DIR9001.I only use the coaxial input anyway so..
I tried the PCM1794 with trafo output,but I think the CS4398 beats it,so now I use it with a trafo output.
And yes i use the SCR2496 upsampler to.

Does your upsampler module function with the DIR9001 or do you just use the SRC2496 for upsampling?

thanks guys for the fast inputs

Erwin,

I've never heard either one of those combinations. Some like the 9001 better than the 8416 receiver.

The 1798 is a current output chip, the 4398 is a voltage output chip. If you had transformer output in mind the 4398 is definately the way to go unless you know what you're doing with I/V conversion.

yes i have the transformer output in mind. i got no knowledge on I/V conversion. so its a no go. ill opt for 4398 then.

If you have a soldering iron, you can do a direct out mod. I have read many different reports of direct out mods to CS43122, 4397, 4398, AK4393,4395, and 4396 and all report a big improvement in the sonics. I have never read of anyone that tried direct and went back to active. Except for the I out chips such as PCM1798/ 1794 which sound best with a tube I/V conversion. My simple transformer I/V with the 1798 is not quite as good as any of the V out chips I have. If you want to mod you will want the 4398 for sure. I bought several different modules and two boards in order to compare the many different modules. The DIR9001 definitely sounds way better than the CS8416 but has problems with it's input switching. One of my 9001 only locks to the RCA and one only locks to the optical regardless of the input selector settings. And, neither upsampler works at all with either 9001. Also ask the seller if you can purchase an 8416 module in case the 9001 still has bugs. My CS43122 dacs sound better than the PCM1798 but can't use the upsampler either due to a low level whine so I would go with the 4398. Too bad because even despite the whine, the upsampler does sound better even though I can already upsample in my SCR2496. Upsampling somewhere sounds better. I haven't read about any problems upsampling into the 4398. Maybe the upsampler is doing for the 8416, and then some, what the DIR9001 already does via their onboard clocks. I would go with an 8416, 4398, with the upsampler and purchase a 9001 for $20 as an experiment if you don't mind wasting the money in the case that it still doesn't work right. shipping is expensive so it will be cheaper to buy the spare module together with the initial purchase just in case. It should be no problem for the seller to sell you the other input board if you ask him. Be very careful when trying to remove the modules as the high quality milled pin sockets fit very tight and are brittle. Very easy to snap if the module doesn't come straight up.
thanks sendler for the input. i need to ask the seller if they come with 8416, 4398, with the upsampler and option purchase a 9001

but pardon my ignorant, is 8416 and 9001 is interchangeable between those to? or i need to get an extra input board for 8416? really no idea here

ps: i opt to use transformer output. and the input of optical. i wanna plug it on mac mini and ps3
i already has TDA1545A with usb inputs NOS DAC. so might want to try different flavor see if i prefer the upsampling dac

thanks in adv
erwin

Last edited:
Interchangeable

All of the modules are interchangeable.
thanks guys for the fast inputs

yes i have the transformer output in mind. i got no knowledge on I/V conversion. so its a no go. ill opt for 4398 then.

thanks sendler for the input. i need to ask the seller if they come with 8416, 4398, with the upsampler and option purchase a 9001

but pardon my ignorant, is 8416 and 9001 is interchangeable between those to? or i need to get an extra input board for 8416? really no idea here

ps: i opt to use transformer output. and the input of optical. i wanna plug it on mac mini and ps3

thanks in adv
erwin

"Does your upsampler module function with the DIR9001 or do you just use the SRC2496 for upsampling?"

Not shure how you mean,I use the Roland M-1000 Digital mixer (44.1khz)(Wich can allso uppsample to 96khz,but I dont use it.)
before the DIR9001.
Then the upsamling is done by the SRC2496.And I think it´s working good.

hi sander

here is the seller reply. hope it may address your problem. could be the source signal which lock them. im not sure :)
"9001 is a digital receiver up to 24/96 if you check the specification.
If you input a 24/192 file, then there will be some error and actually it is not bugs.
9001 is much lower distortion than CS8416, so many people like it.
Most of the music files are 16/44.1, so there 'll no problem."

hope it helps.. so i will order the 8416, 4398 with upsampling which he happen to have in stock. however, there is no input transformer for the spdif. should i better get one spdif input transformer as well?

Plug in module

I mean to ask about the plug in upsampling module that comes with the Big Dac Board.
"Does your upsampler module function with the DIR9001 or do you just use the SRC2496 for upsampling?"

Not shure how you mean,I use the Roland M-1000 Digital mixer (44.1khz)(Wich can allso uppsample to 96khz,but I dont use it.)
before the DIR9001.
Then the upsamling is done by the SRC2496.And I think it´s working good.

Cap instead of transformer

It doesn't matterwhat sampling rate I use into the DIR9001s. One of them only locks to optical and one only locks to coax. I believe it is a problem with the little signal selecting switch chip on the underside of the module not properly coming under control of the selector jumper setting.
The coax on the Big Dac Board is isolated by a cap instead of a transformer. It seems to work very well judging by the sonics that this board is capable of.
hi sander

here is the seller reply. hope it may address your problem. could be the source signal which lock them. im not sure :)
"9001 is a digital receiver up to 24/96 if you check the specification.
If you input a 24/192 file, then there will be some error and actually it is not bugs.
9001 is much lower distortion than CS8416, so many people like it.
Most of the music files are 16/44.1, so there 'll no problem."

hope it helps.. so i will order the 8416, 4398 with upsampling which he happen to have in stock. however, there is no input transformer for the spdif. should i better get one spdif input transformer as well?