Experience with this DIY DAC ?

I modified my Mac mini so the mini toslink jack is now replaced by a SPDIF BNC output.

We tried the Mac Mini SPDIF against the M2 Tech Hiface. The SPDIF won EASILY over the M2Tech. The Hiface is lacking definition and the sound doesn't have soundstage (2 dimension) Compared to the SPDIF coax. The USB on the Gigawork dac doesn't play too well. The M2Tech beats it.

Hello LeGarem,
Can you tell us how you converted the toslink out put to SPDIF rca/bnc?

Cheers,
Ryan

Onetics vs UTC A20

This thread now focusing more on traffo choices rather talking others section for improvement. In additional let me introduce to a new line of traffo suitable for this wonderful dac.

Being playing this DAC with the A20 for a year now and ever since it's the best sounding DAC i ever had after owning some entry level models like Dac Magic and Audio Alchemy.

Now after about 6 months i'm back with a new game again for a brand new transformer.

Meet the new Onetics custom made output raffo thanks to Bud Purvine.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Below is my new setup with a all shunts psu for each chip in this dac except analog and usb.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Got some hiccups though...i'm hearing some loop while playing. Then i remove the upsampling board that i buy previously and loop is gone but still there's a some pops and cracks sometimes...must be some 'unfinished' grounding. I will connect to the line filter i've build for this dac and evaluate.

For conclusion I would say the Onetics add some micro details from my previous A20. Funny I'm not so excited when listening to it...maybe because it takes time for burn in session for a complete improvement i think... i just took 2 hours for initial test...

JT-11-YMPC

I listened to the cheapest high nickel Jensen transformers today. JT-11-YMPC. They really sound quite good despite their smallish size. Surprisingly, I didn't really hear any great deficiency or coloration in the bass. Compared to the FMCF, the sound stage was deep, slightly narrower for some reason but not worse. Just different. Image focus was actually a little tighter and better defined and sibilants were crisper with less smear. Maybe due to the Belden 1701a solid core in teflon bonded pair wire I used to hook them up versus the really small gauge stranded wire that comes stock on the FMs. I started out with solo female singer/guitar to evaluate them without a lot of power in the bass to get an idea about their use in the mids and highs of a DCX or soundcard crossover mod since they are cheaper when needing 6-8 channels and was about to proclaim them more than suitable until I put on something with a strong snare drum which seems to be a good signal to test the level handling of transformers. It was the crack of the snare/ cymbal that showed me the clear superiority of the EMCF over the FM and again showed up a further slight loss of dynamics in the YM. $50 each shipped right now on ebay for used JT-11 EMCF is a pretty good deal for a great transformer for direct out dac mods.

I tried a lot of transformers. I got Jensen replicas RE11EM and RE11DM and they are simply the best I tried. For my tasre, they are even better than My Lundahl LL1690

Here is my appreciation of all the transformer tried with this dac.
They are in preference order.

Jensen RE11DM: Geat sound balance and surprizing bass for their size. Easy to listen without lacking details.
Jensen RE11EM: Seems a little brighter than the first one.
Lundahl LL1690: Lean mids for my taste, good bass and treble extension.

UTC HA108, A20 big brother with permalloy core: Mellow sound, bass champion but lacks definition. Your ears will net bleed with these.
Ramsa Panasonic: Little harsh top end
Studer 600-600: Sound definition champion but lacks bass.
Yamaha/Tamura GA80080: Good all around but lacks bass.

My system is based on Onken bass speakers with horns. The Onkens are not bass heavy speakers and my horns are very revealing mids.

Has anybody exeperience with balanced B1 pair to replace the the standard chips , also to avoid tranformers, that in my opinion never can be ideal parts.
However I have to admit my electrostatic speakers also your trannies and I do love the sound, but also in that case I would have prefferred not having them there as well

Jan

active

Has anybody exeperience with balanced B1 pair to replace the the standard chips , also to avoid tranformers, that in my opinion never can be ideal parts.
However I have to admit my electrostatic speakers also your trannies and I do love the sound, but also in that case I would have prefferred not having them there as well

Jan

None of the various opamp output buffers I have tried can come close to the transparency of the best passive solutions. Does the B1 accept dc on the input? If not, you have the same need of a cap or transformer preceding it.

Faulty DAC

Rich Lund posted numerous things to try to attempt to find the fault in my DAC. I haven't had the time to dig into all of those tests yet, but it is TRUE that I no longer hear the relay click at power on. Does that suggest a fault in the CS8416?

Thanks all. I will have more time over the holidays to measure voltages as suggested by Rich. If the 'no click' helps me narrow some possibilities, that would be great.

Cheers,
Ryan
Hi Ryan

Otherwise it might be the CS8416 at fault, does the relay click at all? These have been known to fail. Check that you have correct voltages at the DAC and receiver supply pins - refer to the datasheets.

Last edited:
Hello Renato

I just bought anethr DAC and I want to sell this one. At the moment I am in England but I should be back in Italy next week.

I have LM4562 high quality opamps on it if you like. Anyway post me a private message if you are interested.

Pietro

Hi,

I could not find the answer in this long thread.
Can you tell me where I can buy the Gigawork 24bit-192khz 2010 DAC in Italy?
It seems that the Gigawork ebay shop does not ship in Italy anymore.

Thank you

Renato

Although I would always prefer a cap over a transformer.
Jan

I thought the same too, and I used a tube stage for my ancient (almost old enough to vote) PCM63 based DAC. I have built my own DAC using the 4398 DAC chip and the Lundahl 1690 transformers and I have to say that I am mightily impressed.

I too am an electrostatic speaker fan, with Quad ESL63's and a set of my own DIY electrostatics, so I am not missing anything in terms of reproduction in the speaker department.

I realize the cost of entry in experimenting with the line level transformers is high, but if you don't like it, I suspect you could sell your transformers to someone else on this thread and get back a good portion of your cash.

Sheldon

Thank you guys, I have decided to give the LL1690 a try.
Unfortenately Legarem doesn't respond to my interest for his LL1690, so I will order a pair in Holland (Price is around 300 USD for a pair) I coul not find really cheaper offers.

I have had ESL57 and ESL63's, now I am using FinalSound 400I, I might go to Martin Logan Spire soon.

regards,

Jan

I'm hoping someone can shed some lite to the problem I'm having with DAC.
The DIYDAC is using A-20 transformers and was working fine until about 7 months ago when it decided to pack it in. problem is I get to sound not even static noise from any of the inputs, I have ran a multimeter from input to out and the path is unbroken, could it be the trannies ? and if so would it be safe to bypass them and go straight from the DAC to the ANALOG outs or would this blow the AMP up, it would be great if anyone can think of something as I would rather not have to buy a new one if its something simple that could be fixed.
I have also tried 3 different amps and about 4 different sets of cables, the DAC powers up with pretty lights but its as quite as a mouse.