Experience with this DIY DAC ?

Is there any advantage to use 50 VA 2 x 9 V encapsulated printboard transformer over EI universal of same type
I think at least encapsulated would make less noise and interference

A (good, see below) encapsulated transformer can be expected as producing less (mechanical) noise.

Good open transformers also dont hum!

How to encapsulate a transformer by DIY?

This can not be easily done by DIY, as you need a vacuum to fill all possible gaps inside the windings.

Franz

legarem said:

The 1527Xl is a good transformer but please don't connect it with the center tap to the ground by a capacitor. It doesn't give good sound as the schem used by many here.

I also don't think it makes any sense. Also connecting the center tap to the ground by resistor makes DC flow by primary, and it's bad idea. I don't know why Andrea Ciuffoli did it this way.

:bigeyes:

If the core in some way could be biased with some low level HF that could be filtered afterwards, it might work better at low levels.

Maybe, this is the explanation why it sounds sooo terribly good?

Maybe, there is some RF (radio frequency) bias in this application?

That would also explain, why I don't like it, when I use passive filtering in front of the trannies! Remember, my ears roll off at 13kHz.

I dont have a scope here at home to measure RF.

In the meantime, my DAC is built in a box, also I have to open the enclosure to switch the input :-(

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Franz

Grounding

Hi

Things aren't sounding quite right. Probably due to an incorrect filter cap being sent to me (giving cutoff 1693kHz). But I also have other confusions and would be grateful for advice;

1 - Should any other part of the DAC or power supply be connected to ground (apart from the RCA shield & output tranny, as shown in legarem's post #418)?

2 - I have connected three leads from the toridal tranformer - the two 8V and the 0V (between the two 15V inputs), but not the two 15v connectors. Is that correct?

Thanks

Re: Grounding

hoverdonkey said:
Hi

Things aren't sounding quite right. Probably due to an incorrect filter cap being sent to me (giving cutoff 1693kHz). But I also have other confusions and would be grateful for advice;

1 - Should any other part of the DAC or power supply be connected to ground (apart from the RCA shield & output tranny, as shown in legarem's post #418)?

2 - I have connected three leads from the toridal tranformer - the two 8V and the 0V (between the two 15V inputs), but not the two 15v connectors. Is that correct?

Thanks

When using output transformers you don't have to supply 15-0-15 vac on the 3 screws analog supply.

I use the center screw on analog supply (which is a ground) to go to the IEC ground of the 3 prong plug

You just have to supply 8 to 9 volts vac to the digital supply so take the two leads of a 8-9 vac transformer and feed the digital supply which has only 2 screws.

Attachments

• dac-conn.jpg
    dac-conn.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 1,248
A small trick that can be done with both the 4398 and 8416, is shifting the RST terminal to always high. In that case the chips will not power down when no signal is present.
After some hours and in some cases a few days, the devices will enter a more stable thermal and electrical condition, and really start to perform at top notch.
In most cases RST is held Lo, because otherwise you will get white noise in your speakers if you cut the power to your transport or PC. So white noise when not locked is the price you pay for better performance

Anybody used a tune output on this DAC

Hi All.
First off what a great thread, read it all and the Lampizator site also, took about day and half but got through it with just a mild headache.
My question are:
1, Has anyone tried using the Lampizator tube mod or similar as apposed to the Output transformer with this DAC that can compare both sonically ? and also ease of implementation for us not so Electronically minded.
2, So am I correct to assume that the board does indeed support up- sampling to 192KHZ as long as you select the proper switch based on source capability. and if so has someone worked out a way to attach some form of external selector button/switch as apposed to opening the assembled unit every time you are using a different source with different capability i.e CD/XBOX360/SACD/DVD-a player.
3, Is it possible to attach a optical out, reason if you have universal DVD player and you wish to use the the DVD 5.1 channels the external DAC can just pass the signal along to the receiver similar to what the DACMAGIC does.

Is there also any Aussies out on the forum that can assist me on any of the parts mentioned that can be sourced locally in Australia with the exception of the DAC of course.
Thanks very much in advanced.