Experience with this DIY DAC ?

thanks very much marc...

i recieved my dac today, i opted for the toroidal transformer that came with it. Its has a +8v and a 0 which i presume is the only connection i need to make to the dac board if I am bypassing the opamps.

It also has a +13v, 0, -13V winding. This question is really aimed at Johnm or any others who have been following the shigaclone thread. I am making the psu from the pdf file on page 2 of the shigaclone thread. Do you think it is possible to use the +13 0 -13V windings to power the cd player? is there any benefit of making the cd player in the same unit as the dac?

I don't think i can get too heavily involved in soldering on the dac board as it looks pretty fidly to me.

cheers stuart

udovdh said:

Thanks!
Does this also work for the Studers?

I think I'll order my DAC board this week. Anything special I should ask?
Of course the board, oversampler, what DAC chip is preffered and why?
Etc?

If the studers are 600 to 600 ohms transformers the secondary load I use on the schem should be correct. The way I use to correctly load to transformers can also be done by ears. Anyway, I always use signal generator and oscilloscope and I finish by ears to determine the best load to use.

legarem said:

If the studers are 600 to 600 ohms transformers the secondary load I use on the schem should be correct. The way I use to correctly load to transformers can also be done by ears. Anyway, I always use signal generator and oscilloscope and I finish by ears to determine the best load to use.

What resistor type do you use/recommend for this? Thanks.

hoverdonkey said:

What resistor type do you use/recommend for this? Thanks.

Good question.

For mellow sound, you can use carbon film. (Riken if high end resistors is used) For more detailed sound, metal film gives crispier sound (Holco)

For my taste, Mills wirewound non inductive gives neutral sound.

The secondary loading resistors affect the tonal balance so you can 'taylor' the sound by using different kinds of resistors. Same for the ones in series with the primary.

The TAMS impress me. The best way to describe them is MUSICAL. This is the BEST bargain transformers you can probably find.

I have been reading this thread with great interest.

I bought the small version of this board with the CS4397 a while back. I have made quite a few changes to it as suggested by Leo on theartofsound forum.
[URL=http://theartofsound.net/forum.../theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=315 [/URL]

After reading through this thread I decided to buy a pair of the Tamura output transformers off ebay.

Does anybody have a view on how well they will work with the CS4397, and will the resistor values posted by legarem in post #418 be suitable for the CS4397.

What power rating should the resistors be?

fordgtlover said:
I have been reading this thread with great interest.

I bought the small version of this board with the CS4397 a while back. I have made quite a few changes to it as suggested by Leo on theartofsound forum.
[URL=http://theartofsound.net/forum.../theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=315 [/URL]

After reading through this thread I decided to buy a pair of the Tamura output transformers off ebay.

Does anybody have a view on how well they will work with the CS4397, and will the resistor values posted by legarem in post #418 be suitable for the CS4397.

What power rating should the resistors be?

The resistors I use are 1/2 watt. 1/4 watt should also be ok.

About the circuit with Tamuras proposed with the CS4398, it will be the same for the CS4397.

i would like to know how is the output level with tranies compared to the stock op-amp output level considering that an opamp is used here for summing the 2 alternances (+ and -) thus giving a full sine-wave

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

so ,how would you compare the output level,is it 2Vrms like a stock cd-player or is it lower than that ?

Hi everyone,
I recieved my dac kit and have it cobbled together in an old cd player chassis so I can move it around easily. Looks to be the same unit Franz has I'm using it in upsample mode as they didn't send the pin jumpers with it or a schematic as I requested, but I think I have some jumpers in a junk box somewhere. I'm using old Sescom MI-14 600 ohm trans I got off ebay for 50 bucks/pair in unbalanced configuration but will switch to balanced when I get the connectors. I have Pass Labs clone equipment in my system.
I've been able to directly compare my reference Rotel 971 with Borbely I/V output stage to the chinese dac by just switching the input switch on the Aleph Pre to make A-B comparisons. The chinese dac has surprised the hell out of me so far. The bass is very noticably more defined and the unit is slightly more forward overall but not in a bad way, very musical. I'm using Dale resistors right now but will experiment with others. I'm using the Jensen filter values also with the Sescoms, can't compare them to Lundahls but they have been well regarded over here in studio and broadcast circles for many years. I couldn't get them to saturate with my signal generator and have zero rolloff at 20hz. I had a Lundahl pulse transformer in my drawer but couldn't find it after moving a couple months ago so I'll have to get another.
If anyone has a schematic for these units I would appreciate a copy, I would like to try implementing the muting relay on the board.

Best to everyone, Bill

Hi Bill

I hope, you did get the information about the dip switch settings?

If not, just drop me a mail (addresse see older postings in this thread) and I'll send you a compiled PDF.

I am also very interested to have the schematics.

Not the essentials, we can take them out of the datasheets. But the "peripherals" e.g. switches and relays would be interesting to know. Also the S1 connections...

The need of us, as DIY customers, is primarily: how can we switch the inputs by an external switch?

And also some other questions, like you have: how do I use as DIY freak the mute relais?

Franz

P.S.
In the meantime I still switch for and back between the Lundahls and the Digitecs.

For some recordings, I prefer the Lundahls, for some other the Digitecs.

It's a pain, I cannot decide! :bawling:

Hi Franz,
Yes, I got the CD with it that has the basic setups, but my schematic request was of no consequence. I'm going to try emailing them again, if I get a response I'll let everyone know.
Are you still using it in upsampling mode?
For anyone using 600 ohm transformers I would suggest trying the Jensen setup first, they DO know what they are doing. It scoped dead flat from 20hz to 24Khz with a test CD. You can always adjust for taste.

Best, Bill