Experience with this DIY DAC ?

hi,

i will take some pictures soon, atm im already building the next project. i need a hifi-rack and some speaker stands :p

the pcb pin and the cable connectors are different parts, usually i use this ones: reichelt.de but those are too thick for the holes in the gigaworksdac-pcb. The picture in the link also doesnt show the right product :(
those are like little nails with a diameter of 1mm.

and for the gigaworks dac i cut of single pins from a multi-pin connector that
i dont find on reichelt.de i cant remember where i got it from, but i only have a few left.

during the next 1-3 weeks i will order some parts at reichelt, i could order some for you too and send them to you.

well, i had to notice that the dac doesnt work 100% since i finished it. i had to modify an existing usb b to usb a cable to fit in my case:

img_5961u7qj.jpg

when i turn the dac on, while its connected to the computer my computer freezes. (no reaction anymore, screen turns off)
when i turn the dac on and then connect it to the pc everything is fine

i think i did a bad job when i modded the cable. now i need a better solution, do you have any ideas how i could solve this problem? the perfect thing would be a usb cable from usb a to b, but the b connector should go 90° to the right with a total lenght of about 25-30cm. but that doesnt exist, ofc :(

hi rich, im pretty shure that the cable itself is the problem!

my motherboard has optical and some coax spdif output. but my backside
of the dac case already has its drilling for the neutrik usb-connector, and i couldnt find a neutrik spdif connector for my case.
i dont know anything about those spdif cables/connectors yet, but is it physically the same as cinch-connectors?

and the usb cable that you linked is not the right one, i need an USB B to USB A cable with the USB B connector in right angle.
USB Winkel Kabel A/B Stecker 2m 90° nach rechts #109000 bei eBay.de: Drucker (endet 14.02.10 12:06:38 MEZ)

something like this, only with much less length. i asked the shop if he got shorter versions.
but thank you for the help anyway.

edit:
i found this:
http://www.reichelt.de/?ACTION=3;ARTICLE=34525;PROVID=2402

is this the right stuff for coax-spdif?
if yes i only need an 90° connector for spdif :p

Last edited:
@xTR3Me:
That is a very good one, but it has a bnc-connector so you need a cable with bnc-connector.
A cinch-rca-chassispart is easier because then you can use a lot of spdif-cables that come with RCA-connectors.
I believe BNC-connectors are more used with 110 Ohm connections(?).
For our DAC the SPDIF-connection is preferrable because you can use a higher samplingrate then USB and with a good soundcard you have much lower jitter. Or you can use a Hiface USB-to SPDIF-converter, which people are very positive about!

I believe BNC-connectors are more used with 110 Ohm connections(?).

in the .pdf from the manufacturer you can read that it is for 75ohm. but i dont want to use bnc-connectors anyway.

--

so i can use normal rca-connectores, like i use for the analog signal?
when i want to build a spdif cable myself, which cable do i need?
it seems the normal rca plugs work, but is there a need for special spdif cables?

greetings,
chris

in the .pdf from the manufacturer you can read that it is for 75ohm. but i dont want to use bnc-connectors anyway.

--

so i can use normal rca-connectores, like i use for the analog signal?
when i want to build a spdif cable myself, which cable do i need?
it seems the normal rca plugs work, but is there a need for special spdif cables?

greetings,
chris
In general, RCA connectors are a comprimise. 75 Ohm BNC are far superior.
To me a quality spdif cable would be 75 ohm, have both a foil and braid shield and be longer than about 5 ft.

Good Luck.

Doug

Just one for interest here. I use a macbook with mine. if i use the back USB everytime I have to rest the sample rate on the output other wise i get audio jerking, Can cange it to anything even the same rate and alls good until I unplug and plug in again.

If i use the front USB - no problems in and out all day perfect.

Just food for thought :)

24/192 Khz or not ?

Hello,
I try read this post, but i don't have a complete answer to my question (like you would see, I'm french and my english too:eek: : sorry for that)

About the "BIG 24bit/192Hz NEW HI-FI DAC DIY KIT, ASSEMBLED MODULE" sold on Ebay. This is the model sold by snow48_6 without USB module, power and DAC on a single board, priced arround 48.60 $: CS4398, NE5532, and WIMA capacitors Rubycon, Nichicon, CS8416 (which can be replaced by a DIR9001 for $ 10).

I would like to connect this DAC to my computer by the electrical Spdif input : does this DAC accept both 16/44.1, 16/48 and 24/192khz without changing any switch on the board ? Or do I have to force 24/192 on the computer spdif output ?

I hope you understand my english, sorry again...

according to first page :
The CS4398 can operate in 3 modes - single, double and quad, as mentioned. These modes control the oversampling function built into the device. If the appropriate mode is selected the CS4398 will oversample accordingly for the best performance. 128x in single speed, 64x in double speed and 32x in quad speed.

Single speed works with sample rates up to 50KHz
Double speed works from 50KHz up to 100KHz
Quad speed works from 100KHz up to 200KHz

So, for 44.1K input (which I assume is what you have?) the best mode is single speed because the DAC will internally oversample to the maximum extent possible. It appears that you have got it working in double speed at 44.1KHz but this is below the rated minimum for this mode. It's actually only if your source has greater than a 50KHz sample rate that you have to switch it into double or quad modes.

Now, if you have a 96KHz source you would need to manually switch into double speed mode. Automatic switching can be achieved by making a connection with pin 16 of the CS8416, as the 8416 detects incoming sample rates above 96KHz.

Kevin

I can switch it in quad speed : in this speed, the DAC would accept both 44.1 48 and 192 ? (except 96, may be)
If not, i can oversample all my output in 24/192 with the computer and switch the DAC in quad mode.

No, Robob, it says in single mode it accepts 44 and 48, in quad only 176 and 192.
Oversampling in the computer is a good idea.
But you have to check if your SPDIF-out of the computer matches with the oversampling rate.
Like if you oversamle 44kHz four times you get 176kHz and a lot of SPDIF-outs don't support this rate.
If you oversample 44 kHz to 192kHz you loose a little(?) bit of quality....

Last edited:
Just watch for 50ohm bnc connectors the spacing is different for the cable :)

well i noticed that my spdif out of my m-audio is like a normal cinch-plug.
it seems to me as if it doesnt make sense to use bnc-connectors. i will simply get the normal neutrik rca for my enclosure and keep the rca-connectors on the dac. this should work too or not?

else i would have to use cables like cinch to bnc in the enclosure and bnc to cinch from the enclosure to the soundcard