Experience with this DIY DAC ?

i made a new earthing cable and connected it to the 0V connectors:

i still dont understand how to connect the other wires :(
img_5945k5uh.jpg

does your toroidal come with a scheme telling you the color code?
do you have those wire labeled in some way?
just wires coming out from the transformer?

red and yellow is one winding and blue and green is one winding too. the black cables are for the input.

on the transformer its written like that:

primary: 230 V black-black
sec1 12v red - yellow
sec2 12v blue - green

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Sorry extr3me, I'm lost on those transformers so I can't say yes or no regarding the wires.

Someone will help you.

Hmm...so it has two secondaries each is 12v, so one wire will be 12v and one 0v or neutral. So red and blue are both the hot wires, that's all I have.

Sorry.

Last edited:
Hi Extr3me,

The easy way now is to connect red and blue and measure the AC-voltage between yellow and green.
If it is 24 V you finished the first step.
If not (0V)you connect red and green and measure again.
This way you'r supposed to end up with three wires giving
-12V, 0V and +12V.
The 0V is the two connected wires which go together to the DAC-board 0V.
The other two to the 12V's. Because you measured 24 Volts between them it means there phase is opposed to each other like they should.
Which of the two 12V's you connect to which DAC-12V does not matter because it is AC.

Maybe you try to measure this and post the results here before you connect it.

Last edited:
Rich, the only thing that worries me with replacing those caps is the crap solder on the board, would hate to take the old caps out and not get a clean connection with the new ones.

Fair point guys, I guess the caps on the board (United Chemicon + Sanyo) are pretty respectable types. They just seem like old stock so I was considering ESR and leakage. More effective mods can be had so I'll probably leave these.

Looking at the underside I would say these PCB's have been flow soldered on a machine, then sensitive components finished by hand. Possibly machine trimmed too. Very tidy soldering despite solder and component quality.

Cheers

at blue and yellow i messure 28v when connecting red and green to each other,

so red and green goes into 0v and blue and yellow to the 13v connectors right?

edit:

how do i connect the talema transformator now?
the connectors on the board say 9v and 0v. so 0v is for a grounding connection and 9v for one of the
output-connectors from the talema right? i think it should be the + connectors shown on top of the
transformer in the middle..

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2007
LOL :D I have Pana FC's sitting here now, so tempted to give it a go, but when I removed the Muse caps after the DAC chip I couldn't get a clean signal from those points for one channel and had to take the signal from points on the DAC daughter board, so I'm a bit shy to remove those caps.

So tempting though:rolleyes:

LOL :D I have Pana FC's sitting here now, so tempted to give it a go, but when I removed the Muse caps after the DAC chip I couldn't get a clean signal from those points for one channel and had to take the signal from points on the DAC daughter board, so I'm a bit shy to remove those caps.

So tempting though:rolleyes:

Do it, do it...:D

Seriously though. I can probably see myself doing this once all the other bits are done. It certainly won't decrease performance - Pana FC's are very good.

Just do the three that are part of the DAC regulation. Hot iron, plenty of flux, quick pull...;)

... i got the version DAC3_V9 too ... and I´ve got no problems at all ...

... this pcb kit was fully functional ...

And this is what i´ve read due to the last 170 pages too ... nobody having really trouble with that pcb ;-)

Good for you. Mine is also functional from the point of view of everything works.
However, the sound is distorted. I have tried different players and input sources (optical and coax). The sound is still crackling especially in the louder passage. I have emailed Gigiwork to report this problem. Let see what he will respond (at all)......

Sorry, I missed it: does your DAC play now? Did you solve the trafo connection question?

If not, please get in contact with Rolf, be.audiophil

He offered help by phone to you.

Please don't fiddle with power transformer connections, when you don't feel sure what you're doing, please!

Franz

hi franz,

i answered him already and will take his help :)

i didnt try if it works yet because i wont before im not 100% sure if everything is alright. thats why i ask here, post pics etc.

dont worry about me, until now i could finish each project without burning it :p