Experience with this DIY DAC ?

I was already looking for a quadfilar (don't ask why, I can't remember) and the CMOQ-2H looked promising on the datasheet, 80% nickel and very wide bandwith.

There is nothing about there performance I don't like.

They sing real nice :D

What others have you tried? What setup(C/R values) are you using?
I was interested in the Lundahls LL1690 partly because of their mu metal casing but the price is prohibitive. At least more than I'm willing to pay.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
I had another pair of quadfilars that I stuffed by getting a solder splatter on the windings of one, they sounded good, while they were working.

Tried some A-22's and they were very bass shy and OK elsewhere.

I'm using the CMOQ-2H's with a 470 ohm resistor on each leg of the primaries, and a .001 cap across following these.
The secondary just has a filter across the RCA's 1k & .001uf (resistors are just cheap carbon's).

I had another pair of quadfilars that I stuffed by getting a solder splatter on the windings of one, they sounded good, while they were working.

Tried some A-22's and they were very bass shy and OK elsewhere.

I'm using the CMOQ-2H's with a 470 ohm resistor on each leg of the primaries, and a .001 cap across following these.
The secondary just has a filter across the RCA's 1k & .001uf (resistors are just cheap carbon's).
Just curious, how much did you pay for the CMOQ-2H's? I emailed them twice for pricing but got no response.

Just curious, why did you sell the UTC A-20? Did you hear anything that you didn't like? BTW, good price. I wish I were the buyer :)
Actually I really liked the A-20s and it was a TOUGH decision to part with them but I have another set of trafos that I find slightly more balanced in my system(YMMV). The only thing that's bugging me with those is hum - something I never experienced with the A-20s in identical setups. So now I'm looking for something that will give me the best of both worlds. Lundahls look like they might have been the ticket but they're too expensive at $250 a pair.
As for the price - I bought mine a while ago and payed less than what they're going for now. I know I could have gotten more on ePay but couldn't be bothered with the hassle of registering as a seller, etc.

Hey guys,

i got another question for you :p

when i use some line trannies and dont use the opamp-based output stage from the dac, the low pass filter will also not be used anymore, does this cause any problems?

my line trannies ( monacor ltr 110) work from 15hz-30khz, will they automatically filter the lower frequencies or do i need an extra low pass filter?

greetings,
Chris

Has anyone done an A/B test of this DAC with the Cambridge DAC Magic? The features are pretty similar and there are rave reviews for both.

Read ozcal's comments here (posts 32 & 34):
My new dac

Also, has anyone posted visual instructions on how to put in the toroidal transformer?
They're on the cd that comes with the dac. I'll find my cd and post pics when I get a chance.