Experience with this DIY DAC ? - Page 60 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th May 2009, 07:26 PM   #591
diyAudio Member

Many thanks guys.

I will give the tranny another audition at the weekend (I am away from my DAC for two days !)
Old 27th May 2009, 09:33 PM   #592
RIP

Jean-Charles, It' a little off topic but how are you getting along with the Buffalo? I was considering it til I saw the price, kinda steep for a DIY project.

Best, Bill
Old 28th May 2009, 02:48 AM   #593
legarem is offline legarem  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by McGyver

Yes!

You're right. Sorry, I wrote that before taking coffee in this rainy morning.

The transformer I use has 10.5 vac and I never had any problems. The heatsink regulatore doesn't get too hot.
Old 28th May 2009, 06:30 AM   #594
adamus is offline adamus  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

my sowters arrived....

reading through the thread there is much debate over resistor and cap values for the filter.

Where would be a good place to start?
Old 28th May 2009, 09:56 AM   #595
RIP

The Jensen values are a good place to start, post #349. A scope would let you see what's going on but it's not a necessity.
Two 250 ohm Rs and .002 cap on primary, 1K with .001 cap on secondary. Anything close will give you a good starting point.

Best, Bill
Old 28th May 2009, 10:37 AM   #596
McGyver is offline McGyver  Poland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by legarem

You're right. Sorry, I wrote that before taking coffee in this rainy morning.

The transformer I use has 10.5 vac and I never had any problems. The heatsink regulatore doesn't get too hot.

Rainy or sunny, whatever, I don't function properly before taking morning coffee

I ordered some 600/600 transformers with center taps for further experiments. I'm going to try to attach it to TDA1547 DAC to provide I/V conversion and desimetrization.
Old 28th May 2009, 01:31 PM   #597
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hoverdonkey
From your reactions, I guess that 10.6V is too much.

Is it a bad transformer, or does it just need more load (maybe resistor in series)? Its specification allows 8% tolerance, but 10.6V is +18%.

Thanks
I have looked at the photos of the DAC. It is fully regulated.
I would not touch anything since the regulators will take care of the extra voltage.
I am not worried about the additionnal dissipation either because it has been reported here that heat is not excessive.
Old 28th May 2009, 01:52 PM   #598
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Fuss
Jean-Charles, It' a little off topic but how are you getting along with the Buffalo? I was considering it til I saw the price, kinda steep for a DIY project.

Best, Bill

Hi Bill,
I will be happy to report to you here or privately.
It is now all assembled and tested, but I did not listen to it yet.
I wanted a case for it and add a few upgrades before I start compairing with my present set up.
The price is up a little because they have introduced a new chip.
My Buffalo is based on the ESS9008, but now, they are the first to use the ESS9018. This is a 32 bit baby.
Also the IVY is built in on the DAC board. I have a separate IVY board with my older version. This could be an advantage since I can test any other output set up with the Buffalo, including transformers.
Russ White is presentely designing a new tweaker's board containing only the DAC, where the IVY will be excluded.
This leaves us the freedom to add an external IVY, or a Conterpoint, transformers or anything we can dream of.
I will come back to you soon.
Old 29th May 2009, 12:18 AM   #599
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE]Originall posted by Mcgyver:
According to my observations if the solid state amp has low input impedance, the sound of our DAC with trafos alone sometimes becomes "dead". So I'm soldering Version with cathode followers after trafos. There is a picture of my test setup built into CD player. There is mini SMD version of our DAC:M[QUOTE]

Mcgyver in the end how did your test's go with Solid state amp, did you find the sound better with Transformer, or tube or even opamp.
Old 29th May 2009, 12:28 AM   #600
diyAudio Member

Default Re: work in progress

Quote:
Originally posted by McGyver

According to my observations if the solid state amp has low input impedance, the sound of our DAC with trafos alone sometimes becomes "dead". So I'm soldering Version with cathode followers after trafos. There is a picture of my test setup built into CD player. There is mini SMD version of our DAC:

Mcgyver in the end how did your test's go with Solid state amp, did you find the sound better with Transformer, or tube or even opamp.
I'm still deciding if this is the fix for me.:confused
I apologize for the same 2 reply's but I'm having problems with the quote options

Hide this!Advertise here!