Experience with this DIY DAC ?

Just been looking at the datasheet (attached) for the pin settings on the CS4398 DAC.

By default mine is set to I2S setting (01) on the left hand pins. Suddenly occured to me is this the correct setting? I just took it for granted that it was set up correctly. Should I have it set to anything else?

What does left-justified, and right-justified mean, and should I have one of those selected instead? I'm using the toslink connection if that's of any help.

The settings on the right hand pins for sampling rates are all straight forward thankfully. Just wish they had an automatic de-emphasis selector, though I imagine there's only a very small percentage of CDs that were created needing this setting?

Cheers,

- John

Attachments

• cs4398-dip.jpg
    cs4398-dip.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 846
hello to all,
The resistance use in AN048 are difficult to find,all other results are not scientific proven Post #229.
Here's a script for scilab or MathLAB to calculate the resistors and capacitors on the basis of Cirius Logic Application note 48
Cirius Logic Application Note 48
************** MATHLAB / SCILAB SCRIPT
//R1 = 13.7k
//R3 = 3.32k
//R4 = 13.7k

//C2 = 1n
//C5 = 220p

pi = 3.1415

a = 0.7071;
b = 0.7071;
Fc = 46.175*1000;
H0 = -1;
C2 = 1000*10^-12;
C5 = 220*10^-12;

R4 = 1000;

s = a / sqrt((a^2)+(b^2));

K = C5/C2;
is_real = sqrt(s^2 - K*(1 - H0));

w0 = 2*pi*Fc*sqrt((a^2)+(b^2));

R3 = 1/(w0*C2*(s + sqrt(s^2 - K*(1-H0)) ))

R4 = (s + sqrt(s^2 - K*(1-H0)))/ (w0 * C5)

R1 = R4/(-H0)
****************END
For download Scilab open source software
SCILAB DOWLOAD

For use change
Fc ,C2,C5

I made a simple calculation to find resistance 15K 3.6 K and 220pf capacitors 220p, 1nf the result 46.175kHz result is less than 50kHz recommended by Cirius Logic
For test results and simulations:
http://sim.okawa-denshi.jp/en/OPtazyuLowkeisan.htm

what do you think?

Ciao

Re: Re: UTC specifications

Atlplasma said:

Sorry for the newb question, but does this sheet indicate that an HA-108 or LS-33 would be comparable to an A-20?

They have at least or better specs

I have a pair of HA-108 and they're bigger than A-20. Someone told me that magnetic core is permalloy or something special.

The HA-108 has authority in the bass I don't have with any other transformer.

These UTC transformers need to be 1:1 and have as wide a bandwidth as possible. They are OLD professional (studio) stuff, and although NOT up to the best of todays Txs they are certainly better made, and sound better than all but the top of todays stuff such as Tamura's HIGHEST quality models - which you will NOT find floating around on ebay etc. or with more than a handful of wealthy DiYers.

The best of the UTC are probably next in line to those which cost a good few hundred dollars each. They, UTC, are probably the 108, A-20 and one or two others. Google them and find the specs - look for wide, at least 20-20K, bandwidth and 1:1 ratio.

WHEN you find yourself what seems best BUY it. Otherwise go for new Lundahl or Sowter or what you can afford....they won't cost much more than a GOOD UTC pair. Then you too will be happy.;) I got NOS A-20s for about US$110. Used should be cheaper...but not much.

You have to take the plunge and that takes an act of faith on your part. A lot of us have done just this because we know that NO-ONE can adequately describe the differences in sound and set-up by internet - also it is not fair to expect them to do so because we all know that a person at the other end of the internet will almost be certain to misunderstand what we say on such matters.

Good Luck!

I've been following this thread also as I have several of this dac (both big and smd version).
I wonder however if the transformer approach has enough bandwidth considering that the DAC accepts 192khz/24bit signals? Isn't 20-20khz much too little, defeating the purpose of having 192khz or 96khz audio material?

On the transformer side I'm struggling between the edcor and UTC... money is the limit for students like me :S.

Bill, I have been trying to post the specs which I have but cannot get a legible scan at the max.file size which I can attach I will send these to you by email later today. (I need some rest as a scaffolding pole fell on my head this morning and I am just home from the surgery)

The A-22 has a bandwidth from 40hz-20Khz +-2db. I would prefer that it was lower at the bottom end. Also it is an interstage or output transformer whereas the A-20 is an input transformer. The LS-?? is not on my list. From the LS code I suspect that it may be for speaker impedence matching and may therefore have a limited bandwidth depending on its exact designed for purpose.

As the A-20 is a proven solution with this DAC I would go for that type or better.

Havoc08: For the money involved I would suggest that you speak with studio professionals by telephone and see what they have 'lying around' and of no further use. I know that these people often have all sorts of what is now junk as far as they are concerned and will often give away free such items!

Bill Fuss said:
192/24 is the digital "raw material" that the dac chip can work with, the output is still normal 20-20Khz. Good trafos have plenty of bandwidth.

Best, Bill

Ahh didn't know that. So all high res audio is down converted to 20-20khz when output analogue?
Kind of defeats the purpose of "super-tweeters" etc. :S

brianco said:

Bill, I have been trying to post the specs which I have but cannot get a legible scan at the max.file size which I can attach I will send these to you by email later today. (I need some rest as a scaffolding pole fell on my head this morning and I am just home from the surgery)

The A-22 has a bandwidth from 40hz-20Khz +-2db. I would prefer that it was lower at the bottom end. Also it is an interstage or output transformer whereas the A-20 is an input transformer. The LS-?? is not on my list. From the LS code I suspect that it may be for speaker impedence matching and may therefore have a limited bandwidth depending on its exact designed for purpose.

As the A-20 is a proven solution with this DAC I would go for that type or better.

Havoc08: For the money involved I would suggest that you speak with studio professionals by telephone and see what they have 'lying around' and of no further use. I know that these people often have all sorts of what is now junk as far as they are concerned and will often give away free such items!

Nice... the hard part is then to find these places. You mean recording studios right? Or also radio studios etc.?
This means the transformers would probably be enclosed in something.

I've also considered the edcors, but the reviews seems a bit shifty on the XSM600s. Better to save money for the UTCs?

Thanks Bill

We Irish living in Scotland have to have a hard head!!! 12' pole - steel- and no stitches:whazzat: - just a closure. But there was a LOT of blood!! :D

Know (quite well) a Fuss family in London...originally Austrian and in the ladies clothes making business and also in IBM!

Brian

brianco said:
Thanks Bill

We Irish living in Scotland have to have a hard head!!! 12' pole - steel- ande no stitches - just a closure.

Know (quite well) a Fuss family in London...originally Austrian and in the ladies clothes making business and also in IBM!

Brian

Interesting, I know we originate from the Black Forest region, there is even a castle named Fussen in the area. Great grandfather was a diamond cutter.

A little OT, you think?

Havoc08 said:

Ahh didn't know that. So all high res audio is down converted to 20-20khz when output analogue?
Kind of defeats the purpose of "super-tweeters" etc. :S

Nice... the hard part is then to find these places. You mean recording studios right? Or also radio studios etc.?
This means the transformers would probably be enclosed in something.

I've also considered the edcors, but the reviews seems a bit shifty on the XSM600s. Better to save money for the UTCs?

Super tweeters will add a little air but if you're as old as me you can't hear that high any way.
:D

I would be surprised if any of the Edcors were in the same class as most of the UTCs, or other respected brands for that matter.

I tried a pair of lower priced Jensens which is a very well respected brand, and they were sadly lacking in every respect. I guess you generally get what you pay for, hopefully.

Bill Fuss said:

Super tweeters will add a little air but if you're as old as me you can't hear that high any way.
:D

I would be surprised if any of the Edcors were in the same class as most of the UTCs, or other respected brands for that matter.

I tried a pair of lower priced Jensens which is a very well respected brand, and they were sadly lacking in every respect. I guess you generally get what you pay for, hopefully.

Nope... some childhood ear infections rid me of the top 5khz so no point in investing in sound improvements above 15khz ;)

For me it is also a matter of performance per $ and whether a edcor solution sounds better than a good opamp solution.

OT "I guess you generally get what you pay for, hopefully"

The two principles in commerce is either, a. it's so cheap that you have to buy it (70% off sales for example) or b. if it's expensive it must be good... don't fall into the capitalist hands luring you with high prices ;) (but if they sound much better it is a whole other story).

Bill Fuss said:

:D .

I am probably older than Bill - 1942 - and have a touch of 'shooter's ear' - extended bandwidth nevertheless does give me an enhanced sense of 'atmosphere' /'hall effect'. This is why the A-20 is good to me. Back when I had a friend, who was a Japanese 'underground' amp designer of note, he would always use the biggest bandwidth transformers on his 211 amps for just this reason. They made the original ongaku sound second rate!