Experience with this DIY DAC ?

Re: More transformer woes

I'd be interested in getting a couple to try.

shuggi67 said:
Another question I'm trying to find out what the EDCO XSM600/600 Trannies have for there output max for Max dBm but the spec sheet does not rate it + can not get an answer from the manufacturer, does anyone know or is there supposed to be some formula to work it out yourself using the specs they do provide.
Below are the specs:
Product Specifications
Maximum Input: 2.5W
Input: 600 Ohms
Output: 600 Ohms
Turns Ratio: 1:1
Frequency Response: 20~20,000 Hz, <1dBu
THD+N @ 1KHz: <0.05%
Insertion Loss: 0.5 dB
Bobbin: Glass Filled Nylon 6/6
Flamibility Rate: Class B 130°
Core Type: M-6 29 ga. Grain Oriented Steel.
Termination: 0.187" (3/16") quick disconects
Mounting: Zine plated channel/frame
Unit Weight: 0.66 lbs.

You might try writing Edcor. They are slow but nice.

I think the UTC, Freed, Tamura, etc class of transformers are what you want.

For the Edcors to get anywhere near them, (yeah these are 10k:15k, but hey), they'd have to improve A LOT during break in. I'm going to run them with a signal for the next few days to see if they improve.

Mush said:
You might try writing Edcor. They are slow but nice.

I think the UTC, Freed, Tamura, etc class of transformers are what you want.

For the Edcors to get anywhere near them, (yeah these are 10k:15k, but hey), they'd have to improve A LOT during break in. I'm going to run them with a signal for the next few days to see if they improve.

I think you are right, the UTC is only rated at +15dBm is that going to be an issue as I read back in the thread that +20 dBm or higher is better, and I sometimes like to crank the volume up.

shuggi67 said:

I think you are right, the UTC is only rated at +15dBm is that going to be an issue as I read back in the thread that +20 dBm or higher is better, and I sometimes like to crank the volume up.

What are you connecting into after the DAC / transformers? I am using a passive and although I have sensitive speakers,(93/94Db in a 30'x16'x10.5' high room), I get far more clean volume than is ever needed....to turn it up anywhere near full would literally deafen you. If you have a preamp and amp which will already drive your speakers loud, then the A-20 will do the same. The a-20 is +-2Db to 50k which is the widest by x2 of similar vintage UTC Tx.

:att'n: These UTC are going quite quickly - you could miss the boat if you dither.

There is a guy with x6 A-20 (item no 150358624746 ) on eBuy at the moment. Buy it Now at US$35 each - US$ 70 a pair.

brianco said:

What are you connecting into after the DAC / transformers? I am using a passive and although I have sensitive speakers,(93/94Db in a 30'x16'x10.5' high room), I get far more clean volume than is ever needed....to turn it up anywhere near full would literally deafen you. If you have a preamp and amp which will already drive your speakers loud, then the A-20 will do the same. The a-20 is +-2Db to 50k which is the widest by x2 of similar vintage UTC Tx.

:att'n: These UTC are going quite quickly - you could miss the boat if you dither.

There is a guy with x6 A-20 (item no 150358624746 ) on eBuy at the moment. Buy it Now at US$35 each - US$ 70 a pair.

I'm connecting in to a Marantz SR6003 AV receiver then in to 200 watt floor stand speaker rated at 89dB

How much DC offset could the big Edcors cope with? Would they be ok with 10mV or would they need a coupling cap? My preamp has 0.002V and 0.005V DC offset on the single ended output, and my power amp has balanced input. Could the transformers be used between the two without additional DC blocking?

Edcor 10k:15k

These are beginning to break in after a day and a half and their detail is very impressive. I have to turn up the volume to get close to the sense of spaciousness that the UTC A-20 give. I think it's because they aren't a proper match.

I've just ordered the XSM600:600. Assuming they are a better match, I imagine they will be a great low budget alternative.

EDCOR

Hi Guys,

I think this is the one you've been waiting for, Edcor transformer, XSM600/600, $ 12.94 each. It's very cheap and everybody can afford it, especially like me that doesn't have much money.

How about the sound? It's definitely terrific! better than the opamp, IMHO. I haven't tried comparing with another transformer since I don't have any and that's the first one I have. I measured the DC offset and it measured 0mV, nothing to worry about. I haven't tried filtering yet but I might try Legarem's combination.

I think I'm beginning to believe on burning process, which before I don't but I think it works. Why don't you guys give this tranformer a shot. It won't hurt your pocket. You may like it or you may not like it, it's up to you :D

Sorry the image is too small, that's the maximum size I can post.

Good luck!

Attachments

• dac1.jpg
    dac1.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 1,022
Richie ma said:
Hi,

Anyone looking for transformers in Australia, maybe try these, they come in around $40AUS.

http://www.harbuch.com.au

TRANSFORMER DATA SHEET
AT-204
With 600W Source and Load
AT-204 measured performance
Primary Impedance : 600W
Secondary Impedance : 600W
Turns Ratio : 1:1
Frequency Response : ± 0.2dB, 20Hz - 20kHz, RS=600W, RL=600W
Total Harmonic Distortion : <0.2dB, 30Hz - 20kHz @ +20dBm
Maximum Output Level : +24dBm
Insertion Loss : 1.1dB @ 1kHz
DC Resistance Primary : 39W
Secondary : 39W

I'm going be looking at adding these when the DAC's arrive.

have u tried these transformers yet? I am building my DAC now and very interested in these...from the specs they look good ;)

Mush said:
The Edcors are beginning to sound really good after three days, better than yesterday. They've been running nonstop since Saturday night. If you don't want to spend a lot, this is the way to go.

Thanks Mush. How do you have them installed (cap/resistor values)?

If saving money weren't the number one issue, what would be your preference?

Steve

My transformers run with no caps, I tried them, didn't like it, well mannered, loss of musicality. I use only a load resistor on the secondary, usually something I have two of. Try 1k, 5k, to 50k. Your ears are better than test equipment.

Caveat: so far I prefer the UTC, but the Edcor are really good.