Experience with this DIY DAC ? - Page 354 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2010, 11:13 PM   #3531
Ryssen is offline Ryssen  Sweden
diyAudio Member
 
Ryssen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Sweden--> Here
"I have never read of anyone that tried direct and went back to active"

At least i didīnt..
I bought a DIR9001 after I bought my board with CS8416 and now I use the DIR9001.I only use the coaxial input anyway so..
I tried the PCM1794 with trafo output,but I think the CS4398 beats it,so now I use it with a trafo output.
And yes i use the SCR2496 upsampler to.
  Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2010, 02:54 AM   #3532
sendler is offline sendler  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: ny
Default Upsampler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryssen View Post
"I have never read of anyone that tried direct and went back to active"

At least i didīnt..
I bought a DIR9001 after I bought my board with CS8416 and now I use the DIR9001.I only use the coaxial input anyway so..
I tried the PCM1794 with trafo output,but I think the CS4398 beats it,so now I use it with a trafo output.
And yes i use the SCR2496 upsampler to.
Does your upsampler module function with the DIR9001 or do you just use the SRC2496 for upsampling?
__________________
Scott
  Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2010, 03:18 AM   #3533
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
thanks guys for the fast inputs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fuss View Post
Erwin,

I've never heard either one of those combinations. Some like the 9001 better than the 8416 receiver.

The 1798 is a current output chip, the 4398 is a voltage output chip. If you had transformer output in mind the 4398 is definately the way to go unless you know what you're doing with I/V conversion.
yes i have the transformer output in mind. i got no knowledge on I/V conversion. so its a no go. ill opt for 4398 then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
If you have a soldering iron, you can do a direct out mod. I have read many different reports of direct out mods to CS43122, 4397, 4398, AK4393,4395, and 4396 and all report a big improvement in the sonics. I have never read of anyone that tried direct and went back to active. Except for the I out chips such as PCM1798/ 1794 which sound best with a tube I/V conversion. My simple transformer I/V with the 1798 is not quite as good as any of the V out chips I have. If you want to mod you will want the 4398 for sure. I bought several different modules and two boards in order to compare the many different modules. The DIR9001 definitely sounds way better than the CS8416 but has problems with it's input switching. One of my 9001 only locks to the RCA and one only locks to the optical regardless of the input selector settings. And, neither upsampler works at all with either 9001. Also ask the seller if you can purchase an 8416 module in case the 9001 still has bugs. My CS43122 dacs sound better than the PCM1798 but can't use the upsampler either due to a low level whine so I would go with the 4398. Too bad because even despite the whine, the upsampler does sound better even though I can already upsample in my SCR2496. Upsampling somewhere sounds better. I haven't read about any problems upsampling into the 4398. Maybe the upsampler is doing for the 8416, and then some, what the DIR9001 already does via their onboard clocks. I would go with an 8416, 4398, with the upsampler and purchase a 9001 for $20 as an experiment if you don't mind wasting the money in the case that it still doesn't work right. shipping is expensive so it will be cheaper to buy the spare module together with the initial purchase just in case. It should be no problem for the seller to sell you the other input board if you ask him. Be very careful when trying to remove the modules as the high quality milled pin sockets fit very tight and are brittle. Very easy to snap if the module doesn't come straight up.
thanks sendler for the input. i need to ask the seller if they come with 8416, 4398, with the upsampler and option purchase a 9001

but pardon my ignorant, is 8416 and 9001 is interchangeable between those to? or i need to get an extra input board for 8416? really no idea here

ps: i opt to use transformer output. and the input of optical. i wanna plug it on mac mini and ps3
i already has TDA1545A with usb inputs NOS DAC. so might want to try different flavor see if i prefer the upsampling dac

thanks in adv
erwin

Last edited by milen007; 18th December 2010 at 03:28 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2010, 03:30 AM   #3534
sendler is offline sendler  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: ny
Default Interchangeable

All of the modules are interchangeable.
.
Quote:
Originally Posted by milen007 View Post
thanks guys for the fast inputs



yes i have the transformer output in mind. i got no knowledge on I/V conversion. so its a no go. ill opt for 4398 then.


thanks sendler for the input. i need to ask the seller if they come with 8416, 4398, with the upsampler and option purchase a 9001

but pardon my ignorant, is 8416 and 9001 is interchangeable between those to? or i need to get an extra input board for 8416? really no idea here

ps: i opt to use transformer output. and the input of optical. i wanna plug it on mac mini and ps3

thanks in adv
erwin
__________________
Scott
  Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2010, 04:11 AM   #3535
Ryssen is offline Ryssen  Sweden
diyAudio Member
 
Ryssen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Sweden--> Here
"Does your upsampler module function with the DIR9001 or do you just use the SRC2496 for upsampling?"


Not shure how you mean,I use the Roland M-1000 Digital mixer (44.1khz)(Wich can allso uppsample to 96khz,but I dont use it.)
before the DIR9001.
Then the upsamling is done by the SRC2496.And I think itīs working good.
  Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2010, 07:14 AM   #3536
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
hi sander

here is the seller reply. hope it may address your problem. could be the source signal which lock them. im not sure
"9001 is a digital receiver up to 24/96 if you check the specification.
If you input a 24/192 file, then there will be some error and actually it is not bugs.
9001 is much lower distortion than CS8416, so many people like it.
Most of the music files are 16/44.1, so there 'll no problem."

hope it helps.. so i will order the 8416, 4398 with upsampling which he happen to have in stock. however, there is no input transformer for the spdif. should i better get one spdif input transformer as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
If you have a soldering iron, you can do a direct out mod. I have read many different reports of direct out mods to CS43122, 4397, 4398, AK4393,4395, and 4396 and all report a big improvement in the sonics. I have never read of anyone that tried direct and went back to active. Except for the I out chips such as PCM1798/ 1794 which sound best with a tube I/V conversion. My simple transformer I/V with the 1798 is not quite as good as any of the V out chips I have. If you want to mod you will want the 4398 for sure. I bought several different modules and two boards in order to compare the many different modules. The DIR9001 definitely sounds way better than the CS8416 but has problems with it's input switching. One of my 9001 only locks to the RCA and one only locks to the optical regardless of the input selector settings. And, neither upsampler works at all with either 9001. Also ask the seller if you can purchase an 8416 module in case the 9001 still has bugs. My CS43122 dacs sound better than the PCM1798 but can't use the upsampler either due to a low level whine so I would go with the 4398. Too bad because even despite the whine, the upsampler does sound better even though I can already upsample in my SCR2496. Upsampling somewhere sounds better. I haven't read about any problems upsampling into the 4398. Maybe the upsampler is doing for the 8416, and then some, what the DIR9001 already does via their onboard clocks. I would go with an 8416, 4398, with the upsampler and purchase a 9001 for $20 as an experiment if you don't mind wasting the money in the case that it still doesn't work right. shipping is expensive so it will be cheaper to buy the spare module together with the initial purchase just in case. It should be no problem for the seller to sell you the other input board if you ask him. Be very careful when trying to remove the modules as the high quality milled pin sockets fit very tight and are brittle. Very easy to snap if the module doesn't come straight up.
  Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2010, 07:37 AM   #3537
Ryssen is offline Ryssen  Sweden
diyAudio Member
 
Ryssen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Sweden--> Here
I run the inputcables directly to the DIR9001 adapter pins,it works fine.
Ivībeen told input trafo is only for galvanic isolation f.e.x if you have a grounding problem.
  Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2010, 01:42 PM   #3538
sendler is offline sendler  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: ny
Default Plug in module

I mean to ask about the plug in upsampling module that comes with the Big Dac Board.
.
.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryssen View Post
"Does your upsampler module function with the DIR9001 or do you just use the SRC2496 for upsampling?"


Not shure how you mean,I use the Roland M-1000 Digital mixer (44.1khz)(Wich can allso uppsample to 96khz,but I dont use it.)
before the DIR9001.
Then the upsamling is done by the SRC2496.And I think itīs working good.
__________________
Scott
  Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2010, 01:55 PM   #3539
sendler is offline sendler  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: ny
Default Cap instead of transformer

It doesn't matterwhat sampling rate I use into the DIR9001s. One of them only locks to optical and one only locks to coax. I believe it is a problem with the little signal selecting switch chip on the underside of the module not properly coming under control of the selector jumper setting.
.
The coax on the Big Dac Board is isolated by a cap instead of a transformer. It seems to work very well judging by the sonics that this board is capable of.
.
.
Quote:
Originally Posted by milen007 View Post
hi sander

here is the seller reply. hope it may address your problem. could be the source signal which lock them. im not sure
"9001 is a digital receiver up to 24/96 if you check the specification.
If you input a 24/192 file, then there will be some error and actually it is not bugs.
9001 is much lower distortion than CS8416, so many people like it.
Most of the music files are 16/44.1, so there 'll no problem."

hope it helps.. so i will order the 8416, 4398 with upsampling which he happen to have in stock. however, there is no input transformer for the spdif. should i better get one spdif input transformer as well?
__________________
Scott
  Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2010, 03:51 PM   #3540
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Default diy DIR9001 module

hi everyone

my question is possible to use a plain DIR9001 chip with Tssop28 adapter without any additional components as drop replacement for stock cs8416 receiver chip?
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A.O.S - Any experience? Keltern Multi-Way 16 26th April 2012 11:15 PM
my t-amp experience Eggzy Chip Amps 35 17th December 2005 06:29 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 04:24 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright Đ1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2