Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2010, 01:23 PM   #3141
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Canada
But take care; PCM 1794 is like a razor blade, if for you(resistors,capacitors,solder,transformer,rca,ac cord, etc ) all sound alike PCM 1798 is a better choice. Don't ask me more details; hope SY is not around but still with his Bybee
__________________
Praudio

Last edited by Praudio; 14th September 2010 at 01:31 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2010, 03:00 PM   #3142
Cyan is offline Cyan  Italy
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
What are the best mods to use?
Is the default transformer very good? That is the r-core transformer.
What are the best neutral sounding opamps? Are the audio-gd earth good?
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2010, 04:27 PM   #3143
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Praudio

What do you mean? Is 1798 worthwhile compared to 1794????
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2010, 07:18 PM   #3144
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabanyayaya View Post
Praudio

What do you mean? Is 1798 worthwhile compared to 1794????
PCM 1798 is excellent, 1794 is the cherry on sundae but there is a price ! reread carefully my previous post.PCM 1798 is for everybody, not the same for 74, lot of care to get the cherry
__________________
Praudio
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2010, 07:26 PM   #3145
diyAudio Member
 
wushuliu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabanyayaya View Post
seams everybody is satisfied with this Chinese dac + endless modifications...but what's your though when comparing it to other breed of DAC like the EZ DAC that employs PCM1749 or the popular Quang Ho AD1865 with tube stage and those fancy shunt regulator.....???? Does anyone have been audition those fully loaded DAC before???
Yeah, it would be nice to hear comparisons w/ other DAC kits around. I am perplexed by the Quanghao craze: a million posts, but hardly any feedback on the sound.

I had the Gigawork/UTC (later Altec) going for a while, and then tried out the rainbow hui AD1865 kit on ebay that is also based on Ciuffoli design. Did some of the lampizator mods and found the sound more natural, organic but without loss of detail vs. the Gigawork/transformer dac. Not necessarily better, just more preferable to me. Kind of like SACD vs. Vinyl.
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2010, 09:07 PM   #3146
Cyan is offline Cyan  Italy
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
how's gigawork dac with discrete opamp (like audio gd ones) vs. opampless with transformer output?
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2010, 10:51 PM   #3147
legarem is offline legarem  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
legarem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Quebec city
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praudio View Post
But take care; PCM 1794 is like a razor blade, if for you(resistors,capacitors,solder,transformer,rca,ac cord, etc ) all sound alike PCM 1798 is a better choice. Don't ask me more details; hope SY is not around but still with his Bybee

Pierre

Finally in the pursuit of the best for $ I bought a used Monarchy M24 and I don't regret it. It is in another league compared to the chinese dac with transformers.

The M24 has a pair of PCM63K which is still reknowned to be one of the best dac chip ever made.

I tried the PCM1798 and hated it. I think that the CS4398 with Jensen transformers gave me better results.

The M24 is now the one I will have to compare other dacs.

I'm somewhat happy to be the crazy guy who first talked in this topic and tried about using transformers with this dac. My 'disease' reached many peoples.

This is still a honest dac but with all I tried with the chinese dac, I think I perhaps reached the end of tryings.
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2010, 12:48 AM   #3148
sendler is offline sendler  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: ny
Default PCM63 sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by legarem View Post
Pierre

Finally in the pursuit of the best for $ I bought a used Monarchy M24 and I don't regret it. It is in another league compared to the chinese dac with transformers.

The M24 has a pair of PCM63K which is still reknowned to be one of the best dac chip ever made.

I tried the PCM1798 and hated it. I think that the CS4398 with Jensen transformers gave me better results.

The M24 is now the one I will have to compare other dacs.

I'm somewhat happy to be the crazy guy who first talked in this topic and tried about using transformers with this dac. My 'disease' reached many peoples.

This is still a honest dac but with all I tried with the chinese dac, I think I perhaps reached the end of tryings.
Funny. I sold my Enlightened Audio Designs PCM1000 featuring PCM63 chips when I got my Assemblage Dac2.7 with PCM1704 chips and it sounded much better. I sold my highly modified Dac2.7 when I got my direct out modified DEQ2496 with AK4395 chips and it sounded much better than the 1704. I now have the Big Dac Board with DIR9001/ CS43122 running direct out and it sounds a bit better than the AK4395. I would put the direct out Big Dac Board 3 big steps beyond the PCM63.
__________________
Scott
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2010, 01:37 AM   #3149
legarem is offline legarem  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
legarem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Quebec city
Don't judge the dac chip alone to give you an idea of the sound. i once heard the Enlighted Audio and hated it. I remember it had miserable op amps for analog output stage.

The M24 has a great analog output stage. The I/V for the PCM63K is made with a resistor followed by passive LC filter and a tube for output stage. This is a good receipe for good sound.
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2010, 11:07 AM   #3150
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praudio View Post
PCM 1798 is excellent, 1794 is the cherry on sundae but there is a price ! reread carefully my previous post.PCM 1798 is for everybody, not the same for 74, lot of care to get the cherry
Does it necessary the 1794 need to be couple with 4:1 traffos? What about 1:1 like we used initially (A-20). Will it works????

And the for the little 1798, will it work in the same situation???
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A.O.S - Any experience? Keltern Multi-Way 16 26th April 2012 11:15 PM
my t-amp experience Eggzy Chip Amps 35 17th December 2005 06:29 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:28 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2