Experience with this DIY DAC ? - Page 203 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2010, 07:37 AM   #2021
data is offline data  Australia
Account disabled at member's request
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Brisbane
On mine the RCA's are isolated and so are the transformers.

The '-' outputs of the DAC chip are not the same as a ground reference as It's a differential DAC chip, at least this is how I think it is (I may be wrong?)

The only reference to ground in my DAC is the one from the mains socket to the 0v connection to the anolog section of the PCB.

Someone can please correct me if I'm mistaken
  Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2010, 08:01 AM   #2022
diyAudio Member
 
Franz Gysi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
The only reference to ground in my DAC is the one from the mains socket to the 0v connection to the anolog section of the PCB.

Someone can please correct me if I'm mistaken
This is unsafe practices!

Connect the mains sockets safety ground with a thick yellow/green litz wire DIRECTLY to a big screw (why not M6, I remember a lecture by Morgan Jones) with star washers to the enclosure.

The connection should not be soldered but crimped and the yellow/green wire should be longer as the mains wires (when you pull out accidentally the mains socket, the ground should be disconnected as the last wire).

You can left the DAC's ground and circuit floating.

Should you have some hum problems, you can connect the DAC's ground to the same M6 screw.

Franz

Last edited by Franz Gysi; 31st January 2010 at 08:04 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2010, 08:27 AM   #2023
xTr3Me is offline xTr3Me  Germany
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Should you have some hum problems, you can connect the DAC's ground to the same M6 screw.
Or disconnect it :P
In my symasyms i cant connect the safety ground to the ground of the amp, else i have strange noise on the speakers. but i dont recommend to do so, since its not 100% safe.
  Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2010, 09:12 AM   #2024
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by xTr3Me View Post
well theres no ground between transformer and dac board required but i thought u have no ground on the rca connectors?
maybe i missunderstand you.
Yes you are correct the tamura trans connection has a ground connection but I dont think its required for the UTC-A20 I read about a 200 threads ago I think, If someone has a UTC-a20 can they please confirm this.
Thanks
  Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2010, 09:15 AM   #2025
data is offline data  Australia
Account disabled at member's request
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Brisbane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz Gysi View Post
This is unsafe practices!

Connect the mains sockets safety ground with a thick yellow/green litz wire DIRECTLY to a big screw (why not M6, I remember a lecture by Morgan Jones) with star washers to the enclosure.

The connection should not be soldered but crimped and the yellow/green wire should be longer as the mains wires (when you pull out accidentally the mains socket, the ground should be disconnected as the last wire).

You can left the DAC's ground and circuit floating.

Should you have some hum problems, you can connect the DAC's ground to the same M6 screw.

Franz
I'm not too sure how connecting the mains earth to my MDF case is going to be much good

No hum issues here, or any other issues.
  Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2010, 09:17 AM   #2026
diyAudio Member
 
Franz Gysi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
I'm not too sure how connecting the mains earth to my MDF case is going to be much good
Aha, MDF! Yes, also M6 does not help...

Sorry!

Franz
  Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2010, 09:20 AM   #2027
data is offline data  Australia
Account disabled at member's request
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Brisbane
That's OK Franz, how were you to know

So are you also saying that the PCB doesn't require a connection to ground?
  Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2010, 09:30 AM   #2028
diyAudio Member
 
Franz Gysi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Yes, it is not needed.

However: when you connect it to ground, you will shot the fuse as soon as some circuit failure should appear.

So if you have no hum problems: don't touch a running system

Franz
  Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2010, 09:38 AM   #2029
data is offline data  Australia
Account disabled at member's request
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Brisbane
Cheers mate
  Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2010, 09:47 AM   #2030
Ryssen is offline Ryssen  Sweden
diyAudio Member
 
Ryssen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Sweden--> Here
I to have the DAC on a MDF plate and there is no hum.
__________________
Regards Åke
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A.O.S - Any experience? Keltern Multi-Way 16 26th April 2012 11:15 PM
my t-amp experience Eggzy Chip Amps 35 17th December 2005 06:29 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:05 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2