Experience with this DIY DAC ?

Hi all first post of a longtime lurker!

I have both an earlier revision (cs4397 about 1year) and the same red version as Franz et al
I bought the new version from ebay seller gigawork smooth transaction and delivered in under a week.With the new revision dac I also received a cdrom with some settings info which I'll attach if I can figure it out

Thanks to Franz I have some trannies on the way. This dac has been my source of choice even in stock form simply because it is easy to listen to and sounds right in my system/room (no audiophool speak from me,I can't explain what's right about this dac it just sounds great

cheers jon

Attachments

• red1..jpg
    red1..jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 1,907
For this readers who missed the Digitecs:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

This trannies, 1:1.46 (correctly, not like in the earlyer posting) also work very fine on the CS4398. Studer type 1.022.355.00, unshielded.

They have parts of the windings in bifilar winding technique!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The blue line is the trannie.

I can offer three pairs of this trannies. 50 US$ one pair (two pieces) plus 15$ shipment. Paypal prefered.

Just drop me a mail with the subject Studer to franzfgysi at bluewin.ch (replace the "at" with @ and please dont post here).

First come, first served.

Any order/payement coming in today or latest tomorrow and confirmed by me will be shipped on tuesday. Then I leave Switzerland till next weekend...

Franz

Quick question regarding using output transformers with this DAC. Can one disconnect the two 15V supplies to the board as the op-amps are no longer being used?

Many thanks,

- John.

P.S. Franz - many thanks the Studers arrived today, though I think I shall wait and install the Digitecs for the flatter frequency response, and maybe Ebay the Studers unless anyone here needs a pair.

UTC A-20

I rewired the UTC A-20 transformers. I had the primaries reversed by accident, so now they are as they should be. I dropped the filtering caps and resistors and now use only a 50k resistor across the secondaries. So now the arrangement is DAC to UTC to 50k load to Amp. It sounds amazing. The definition is fantastic. The midrange and bass are wonderful. My only quibble is that it sounds a little too "precise". I prefer a slightly more lush quality. Maria and the rabbit seem to like it just fine. If you've never seen a rabbit enjoy music, let me assure you, it's very funny.

I might experiment with the PLL when I get time. My eyes are not so good, but the board isn't nearly as hard to desolder as I first thought. I just have to figure out which parts make up the PLL.

Anyway, the UTC are wonderful. I just saw a pair go for under $40 on Ebay. There are a lot of them out there if you are interested.

I just received my trannies from Franz!
What about a case from Hong Kong to go with the DAC board that I still need to order?
Somewhat similar to the Zhaolu case? (enough room for stuff?)

I could add a switch like Franz did and choose between tranny or Zapfilter. :)

Any ideas?