Experience with this DIY DAC ?

Use what the manufacturer suggests. If your preamp has an input impedance near 40kohms then you just need the RC filter they show on the datasheet. If it is much higher, such as 250kohms, then I would use a 47kohm resister across the outputs along with the RC filter.

My preamp has an input impedance of 47K. The manufacturer suggests 40K // 7K+400pf. Ok I'll try this.

Any suggestion for the resistors and caps?

Pietro

I would use silvered mica caps and metal film resistors to insure good performance. The 47kohms input should be close enough for the load part, but a scope would be nice to confirm it. You could always parallel a high value resistor to get closer to 40kohms if you wish, the manufacturer is usually very accurate with their suggestions.

Ok maybe this is a stupid question, but is a DAC like this an improvement compared to an external USB sound card like this:

E-MU Systems - 0202 USB 2.0 - USB 2.0 Audio Interface

Here in an excerpt from the specs:

Analog Line Outputs (2)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
Type: Balanced, AC-coupled, 2-pole low-pass differential filter
D/A converter: CS4392
Max Level: 6.7 dBV (unbalanced)
Frequency Response (20Hz - 20kHz): 0.00/-0.01dB
Dynamic Range (1kHz, A-weighted): 111dB
Signal-to-Noise Ratio (A-weighted): 112dB
THD+N (1kHz at -1dBFS): -98dB (.0013%)
Stereo Crosstalk (1kHz at -1dBFS): <-120dB

So for the line outputs SNR is 112dB and THD is 0.0013%.
How much better are these specs for the DAC discussed on this thread ?

Ok maybe this is a stupid question, but is a DAC like this an improvement compared to an external USB sound card like this:

E-MU Systems - 0202 USB 2.0 - USB 2.0 Audio Interface

Here in an excerpt from the specs:

Analog Line Outputs (2)

Type: Balanced, AC-coupled, 2-pole low-pass differential filter
D/A converter: CS4392
Max Level: 6.7 dBV (unbalanced)
Frequency Response (20Hz - 20kHz): 0.00/-0.01dB
Dynamic Range (1kHz, A-weighted): 111dB
Signal-to-Noise Ratio (A-weighted): 112dB
THD+N (1kHz at -1dBFS): -98dB (.0013%)
Stereo Crosstalk (1kHz at -1dBFS): <-120dB

So for the line outputs SNR is 112dB and THD is 0.0013%.
How much better are these specs for the DAC discussed on this thread ?

The Emu USB is quite superior to the dac's USB, but who knows what it sounds like.

Specs are for Techs, I listen with my ears.

Guys,
someone of you knows if is it possible to put the CS43122 dac on this board??
Is it 100% compatible with the cs4398?
thank you

Yes it can, I have 2 LM DAC board, V9 and V10, the receiving chip can choose either DIR9001 or CS8416, the DA chip can use CS4398' CS43122 and PCM 179X series.

Hey thanks Bill.

Pulled the up-sampling board out and could only get it to go upto 96Khz ?? and anything above would show a lock (relay opening) but no audio regardless of dip switch settings. I would have imagined that if the up-sampling board was doing 192-24 and I pulled the board (put jumpers in) then it sould have at leaste had the same result at 192-24 (if not better) however I'm getting nothing then. wondering if it could maybe be the small coax input filter?

I have LM-DAC3 V9 and V10, the receiving chip are both CS8416, the V9 has designing problem, if you use upsampling board, the maximun sample rate you can received is 24BIT/176.4K, if you pull the upsampling board out, you can receive only 24BIT/96K, and there is nothing you can do, but the V10 is no problem for receiving 24BIT/192K.

Since the V9 DAC can't receive 192K, so I just bought DIR9001 board from LM's dealer in GuangZhou 3 days ago, the receiving chip can be changed very easy.