Experience with this DIY DAC ?

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Yeah I know what you mean, I was trying to run a dedicated earth from my speakers and because the rest of the house preferred the new earth it all took that path and I could even hear the electric fence ticking, but in my case I could hear it unless I did turn up to very high levels:rolleyes:

But yeah, even if you can't hear it just knowing It's there is very annoying:mad:

I'm sure you will get to the root of the cause:)

The hum sucks but it's probably the combination of the interconnects and the higher impedance. Are you using the shortest ICs you can? If you can get some try making some ICs with twisted pair shielded and just connect the shield to the preamp end.

The Jensens sound damned good, huh? I wonder if Cinemag would wind some 5Ks to try.

@McCrackers
Congratulations, I'm happy you love them too!
About the hum, I do'n't know if I have this since there is always a little hum in my system.Sometimes I take the trouble to track it down and make some improvements like rearranging the cables or moving some equipment. Sometimes removing hum can destroy the sound so I don't think to much about all the things still to do to improve everything.
But like Bill said, short interconnects, rearranging earthing etc can help.
I use a program on the computer to check FFT to get visual help to see if a change makes a real improvement and check if it's airborn hum (100Hz) or grounding loop (50Hz) . If you connect a wire to a real earth (water pipe/central heating) and make connections to different parts you can see the improvements this will make.
I did not connect black and white but I think it's best to do that.
Success!

Gerard.

I'm going to try a few things later for the hum issue.

Listening to the Jensens now. I would describe the sound as very open and airy. Good separation of instruments. The bass is taught - starts and stops where it's supposed to. No muddiness whatsoever. Quite the opposite of the A-20s.

@Bill - Cinemag has something on their site about special requests. "...If you do not see the audio transformer or inductor you need already listed on our web site, please contact us to discuss your needs..."
I just got the CMOB-2Ls I ordered this morning. The fellow I spoke to last week mentioned that I got my order in just in time as there would be a five to six week waiting period for any subsequent orders.

So so you thing I'm OK with 12K on secondaries or should I play it safe and add 1k?

Be careful using those trafos without the secondary filter or a decent load(10k or less), they have tremendous bandwidth and the ultrasonics could roast your amp and tweeters. If you saw what I saw on the scope you wouldn't try them without, unless you have a tube rig.

Is this also important for the monacor ltr 110? because atm i use them without a filter, but as it seems to me, this is only important for the jensen transformators.

greetings,
chris

Naah, you're safe. What's your new amp? I wonder how much $$$ for customs. Not ready right now. Still foolin with transports.

Not a penny duty on the Cinemags.
I've been borrowing amps from my local dealer for the last couple of weeks(good year end bargains) Right now I'm swapping between Cambridge 840A V2 and a 650A. Not sure which one I'll be keeping.

No, they don't go above 33kHz and all the C's you'll use give only phase-problems, so no. (But I wrote this bevore in one of the 200 posts! :D)

I've never measured a Monacor so no arguments here, however, every trafo I,ve looked at on the scope had a resonance hump. Some were small, some were huge, so be careful.

I would group filter schemes by the trafo impedence, low or high.

No, they don't go above 33kHz and all the C's you'll use give only phase-problems, so no. (But I wrote this bevore in one of the 200 posts! :D)

Yes i read ur post in which u wrote that no filter for the monacors is the best way to go.. but i just thought that i dont want to risk anything. my amps are the best thing i ever built so taking a risk is no solution :p

but thx for ur reply!

I'm going to try a few things later for the hum issue.

Listening to the Jensens now. I would describe the sound as very open and airy. Good separation of instruments. The bass is taught - starts and stops where it's supposed to. No muddiness whatsoever. Quite the opposite of the A-20s.

@Bill - Cinemag has something on their site about special requests. "...If you do not see the audio transformer or inductor you need already listed on our web site, please contact us to discuss your needs..."
I just got the CMOB-2Ls I ordered this morning. The fellow I spoke to last week mentioned that I got my order in just in time as there would be a five to six week waiting period for any subsequent orders.

So so you thing I'm OK with 12K on secondaries or should I play it safe and add 1k?

So how did the Cinemags go compared to the jensens ?

So how did the Cinemags go compared to the jensens ?
I hooked them up late last night. Did a quick listen with headphones. They sounded warmer and heavier than the Jensens but not as precise. More forgiving and not unpleasant at all. Somewhere between the UTC A-20s and the Tamuras. I'm using Riken Rs with the Cinemags. They tend to soften/warm things up also.
I'll give them a good listen later and post my findings.

Cinemags are 50/50. Not sure about the Jensens.
Jensens are sounding really good this morning.

For me the Tams and the Cinemags are redundant. I'll be selling one of the two. Probably the latter as I have no model number for the Tams and they're a bit banged up. In fact I'm only guessing they're Tams.

Data

I saw that nickel/molybdenum/iron core info on a pro audio website. They also wrote the following comment which is one more reason why I say my trafo hunt is over. Mind you the JT-11-BMCF sure looks "the business" on paper.

Jensen's JT-11P-1 is without doubt the finest audio input transformer of its type in the world. Its wide, ruler-flat bandwidth (-3 dB at 0.25 Hz and 100 kHz), vanishingly low distortion (less than 0.001% at 1 kHz with a maximum of 0.025% at 20 Hz), and negligible linear phase deviation (a maximum of +0.6 degrees at 20 Hz) make it the most transparent device of its type available.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
I saw that also, I have a friend that designs valve amps and winds his own output transformers for them, and he has a pair of those same Jensens and likes them too.

I would love to get my hands on a pair the Jensens to compare them to the Hi Nickel Cinemags, It's just that I find these extremely transparent also, and it has me very curious :)