Experience with this DIY DAC ? - Page 102 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd August 2009, 04:54 PM   #1011
piero7 is offline piero7  Italy
diyAudio Member

Lundhal mounted and tested. Not bad at all! The high section is really great, but about the very low frequency, UTC rulez!

Ah, I'have removed all resistors and caps on trannies. I like very very much as is, without any filter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lundhal1540.jpg (98.9 KB, 1126 views)
Old 3rd August 2009, 05:04 PM   #1012
McGyver is offline McGyver  Poland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by piero7
Lundhal mounted and tested.(...)
Which type of Lundahls You use?
Old 3rd August 2009, 05:39 PM   #1013
diyAudio Member

I have the small CS4397 dac kit which doesn't upsample but does accept 24/192 (according to the spec). I have UTC transformers on the output.

I noticed that the audio level drops when I upsample CD to either 24/96 (using my SRC2496) or 16/176.4 (using upsampling on my Philips DVD player). This seems to be a good thing, as the signal running through the transformers is lower. This seems to increase bass weight and depth...

Maybe the transformers like a smaller signal, maybe less quality is lost in the volume control, maybe the dac sounds better with upsampling....

Worth a try if you have trannies and the capacity to upsample...
Old 3rd August 2009, 06:04 PM   #1014
piero7 is offline piero7  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by McGyver

Which type of Lundahls You use?

LL1540
Old 3rd August 2009, 08:04 PM   #1015
johnm is offline johnm  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Found the following two links which might be of use to some here regarding the UTC A-20s:

http://www.prodigy-pro.com/diy/index...97507#msg97507

and...

http://www.intactaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=215

Out of my depth with the last link but might be useful to someone here

Have attached the diagram which can be found in the first post. Got a matched pair of these on the way from the USA - hope I don't get stung for customs too much :/

Cheers,

- John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg utc_a20_black_coil1.jpg (64.2 KB, 1079 views)
Old 4th August 2009, 06:58 PM   #1016
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to ronenash
I just received my Edcors (XSM600/600) last week and installed them using the Jensen scheme. Initially the bass was lean and the sound stage was somewhat compressed. After a few days I must say I am very possitively supprised. Bass is low, full and very well defined. The imaging is superb and there is a huge improvement in the low level detail and dynamics.

I can now safely say that the sound is a huge improvement over the 4562 mod I had previously. With a good recording I can hear the players playing form well beyond the room boundries.

This is definitly a worthwhile investment given the low price of the Edcors. I did not have other transformers on hand so I could not compare but the Edcors are substantial in size and seem to handle the full frequency range well.

Maybe someone else can comment on how they compare with other tranies.
Old 4th August 2009, 08:30 PM   #1017
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by piero7

Oh, now I understand. Do you want my couple of Digitec trannies?

How much for the Digitec trannies?

Another question: does anyone own an Asus Xonar card?
I'd like to know how this Chinese DAC compares to it.

Regards,

Mike
Old 4th August 2009, 11:06 PM   #1018
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ronenash
I just received my Edcors (XSM600/600) last week and installed them using the Jensen scheme. Initially the bass was lean and the sound stage was somewhat compressed. After a few days I must say I am very possitively supprised. Bass is low, full and very well defined. The imaging is superb and there is a huge improvement in the low level detail and dynamics.

I can now safely say that the sound is a huge improvement over the 4562 mod I had previously. With a good recording I can hear the players playing form well beyond the room boundries.

This is definitly a worthwhile investment given the low price of the Edcors. I did not have other transformers on hand so I could not compare but the Edcors are substantial in size and seem to handle the full frequency range well.

Maybe someone else can comment on how they compare with other tranies.
I second that, as I told you guys on my post #891 it just a matter of burning in for a couple of days and you get the results. Well, I think it's subjective and depends on your taste. Some guys prefer more on bass and some prefer more on highs. I think it depends of what sound quality or sonics your looking for. If you have the money and can afford to test more trannies that would be great. That will at least give you the option to decide which trannies fit on your taste.

Cheers!

Fred
Old 5th August 2009, 02:19 AM   #1019
diyAudio Member

Default Trannies with TDA1541

Is it possible to use trannies with TDA 1541 ? Get a Curcio with double crown need similar trannies or ? it's an other story.
Old 5th August 2009, 12:14 PM   #1020
legarem is offline legarem  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Trannies with TDA1541

Quote:
Originally posted by Praudio
Is it possible to use trannies with TDA 1541 ? Get a Curcio with double crown need similar trannies or ? it's an other story.
TDA 1541 can be used with transformers but we will need more that 1:1 transformer ratio. Maybe 1:2 to 1:5 should be great. With 1:1 transformer, output signal could be low and noise could be a problem. As this dac is current output, we have to load it correctly with the transformer to do I/V

I plan to try it with an old Arcam Alpha dac.

Hide this!Advertise here!