Wolfson's Elastic Buffer SPDIF receiver ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Call me a naysayer but I think all these schemes are flawed. This one appears to have a small buffer and then they continually speed up or slow down the data out clock to stop the buffer over/under-flowing. Not particularly original.

By keeping the output clock fixed for short periods of time and occasionally making incremental changes, the instantaneous jitter is reduced by an order of magnitude - Bravo! But there are still going to be small temporal distortions over the time frame of a song/album/movie.

I'm still not convinced that the ASRC method which is currently in vogue is any better. Here, the incoming data, which we assume has been recorded with a jitter free clock is arriving at a non-constant data rate. The idea of upsampling to a massively oversampled clock and then phase interpolating the samples to the output clock points in time is equally disruptive.

Ideally, you'd just output those precisely recorded samples at a constant rate.

I still think the best way is to have a HUGE buffer, I'm talking like a GB or so and just play everything back at 0.1% slow to a rock solid clock. OK by the end of the movie you'd have accumulated a couple hundred meg of buffered data, the movie would go on for a few minutes after the DVD stopped spinning. No biggie, small price for perfect playback.

this becomes interesting - contacted Wolfson directly, I was told their current spdif receivers (wm8804/5) do NOT have the elastic buffer technology. I wonder how in the world then are they able to acheive that feat ?? As shown in a chart (pg 5, fig 2) jitter rejection in the wm8805 starts as early as 100hz and increases dramatically by 1-2Khz.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.