Bluray HTPC audiophile thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In the meantime there are sources for high resolution DRM free music from folks like 2L (mabey?) , Linn Records , Music Giants , High Def Tape Transfers , Pristine Classical , etc.

It's mostly Classical. What really stinks is that Sony owns Columbia Records which in turn gives them control over a lot of my favorite Jazz music. Sony is evil. I'm not saying I don't own a ton of their stuff though. They've really got a monopoly in some regards.

Off my soapbox.

I suppose a possible solution would be to DIY a decoder of some sort. Something that could recieve the HDMI signial from a source, decrypt the data, separate the audio and then spit out the audio through multiple appropriate outputs. Way over my head though. If I could engineer this sort of stuff...

Take a look at this.

phofman said:
OK, but still the specific BluRay part of the whole picture makes it very complicated. If you drop that requirement, all the rest is already available and used.

"Already available and used", I presume, for SACD and DVDA; everything else is either 2-channel or compressed. Both these formats have not taken on in the way that Bluray is/will, to provide a wide range of music to a wide range of consumers.

Last weekend I ripped my copy of The Police - Certifiable Blu-Ray to disk using AnyDVD from slysoft, which removed the Blu-Ray DRM and then extracted the 24 bit 96Khz audio to PCM using a utility called eac3to. Easy to do, and now I have a hi-res copy of the concert in my music collection.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.