Easy TTL to S/PDIF coax converter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to connect a cdrom drive to a DAC using the dacs coaxial input but assume I need a converter (TTL --> coax).

I've seen a few examples some using the 74HC04 and some just using a couple of resistors and a capacitor.

Can anyone recommend a circuit that they have tried and works. Any diagrams / pictures will be greatly appreciated.

Has anyone using the circuit below succesfully with a cdrom?

100nF
TTL ----||-----330ohm--+--------- coax S/PDIF signal out
in |
100ohm
|
Ground -----------------+--------- coax signal ground

Cheers

I know the circuit around a 74HCT04 well, I built it more than once.

I recently built a S/PDIF-switch which I loosely based on these schematics. In it you'll also find the TTL to coaxial S/PDIF output. Based on a design I saw a long time ago I changed the 150nF C to 3x 47nF in parallel. Works fine, very near the S/PDIF specs of 75 ohms output impedance and 0.5 Vpp signal (when terminated with 75 ohms or an input).

Attachments

• image7.gif
    image7.gif
    6 KB · Views: 1,916
Come to think of it, for my Shigaclone project, I just used the 374R and 93R1 to GND to divide the TTL-signal coming straight from the digital output of the signal processing IC, no 74HCT04. Most other people did the same, so the output seems to be able to cope with the current.
If your source will be able to supply enough current then you could do the same, otherwise you'd need the 74HCT04.

I've never understood why people try to use digital logic gates to drive S/PDIF cables. A proper analog line driver is what you should want. Don't forget that a digital signal is fundamentally just special kind of analog signal. An opamp (appropriate to the task) would work nicely, or even a video line driver. Coax S/PDIF has the same basic specs as composite video (75 ohm impedance, 0.7 VRMS, >6 MHz BW, etc.) so using a video line driver makes sense.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.