NeoY2k's ESS Sabre DAC platform

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Some news from the test unit, on big Genelecs (I forgot the reference, the big old rectangular over-priced ones), on Studers, and on Haliaetus Firebird. All that on an acoustically corrected control room.

Flat frequency response, with great treble and bass extension.
Incredible transient response.
Say goodbye to any phasing problem.
Say goodbye to IMD.
Did digital aliasing ever existed?

Take bass kick, now you clearly hear it over all it's bandwith and you can feel the play on it, because hit hard or soft, it's louder or softer, but it also has different harmonic content.
This DAC just renders it perfectly while my other DACs fail (including pro soundcards). That because THD and IMD is so much reduced.

It goes down to extreme subbass with an ultra controlled sound. Surgical. A Hz is a Hz, a second is a second, no more no less.

Regarding medium, I loved the flat frequency response and absence of phasing problems, making voices sound very natural and lifelike.

For treble, a charleston is a charleston. It always sounded more distorded before. Now it feels acoustic like.

Add to it a good sense of stereo imaging (images leave more the loudspeaker, less hole in the middle).

I would say this DAC is really the drummer's friend. If you play drums, find a way to get an unit made on this DAC.

For anyone not a drummer, I'd say this is a very analytical DAC, and very foot-taping

Hi Nicolas,

sounds very promising to me..

what kind of I/V-stage you have in use? OP-based?

i´ll try it with a small resistor to ground and a tube-stage. and maybe a line-transfomer in between..

how do you feed it? with SPDIF or I2s from CD- or PC-transporter?

looking forward to the PCBs..

rg
Daniel

spirous76 said:
Hello,
So where is the project?

I contributed an image but no image.
I seem to have something wrong with the system.

Attachments

• pcm1791.jpg
    pcm1791.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 843
nagaesan said:

I contributed an image but no image.

PCM1795 ev-board needs multi-tap voltage supply.
Now I make psu with troidalcore transformer.
The I/V and buffer OP-AMPs of PCM1795 ev-board are NE5534.
I will replace 5534 to AD825 that my modified ES9008S ev-board.

***** News *****
In near future, I will get ES9018 ev-board.
Now in JAPAN, not released ES9018.
But if I get ES9018 ev-board, I will replace original I/V AD797 to my favorite AD825.
When remodel is completed and same condition analogue section, I will report these 32bitDAC sounds.

Attachments

• pcm179522.jpg
    pcm179522.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 864
Looking through this thread I'm getting the impression the 1394 peripheral on the TCD2220 wasn't used. Is that correct? I'm considering doing a similar project---Wavefront's AL1402G is getting hard to find---and it'd be handy to be able to connect directly to my PC rather than having to thunk through a Firewire interface using probably the exact same chip in order to use the ADAT input on the TCD22x0. Particularly curious about how difficult it might be to surface a Dice part in ASIO for use in a VST host or DAW.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.