DIY DAC with input switchingon a budget?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A number of posts ago I promised to compile a BOM of the components I used on my S/PDIF switchboard. On second thought it might be better not to do this to prevent confusion. In quite a few places I deviated from the original design based on toslink-coax and coax-toslink converters I'm familiar with. This design uses the TORX-/TOTX173 instead of TORX-/TOTX177 optical devices.

A note on the 'stray' 0.1 uF capacitors in several places in the schematic: these are the HF-bypassing caps on the ICs. They have to be placed very near the ICs between Vcc and GND.
The connections of Vcc and GND on the 74HCxxxx ICs are not drawn in the schematics, but they are pin 7 to GND and pin 14 to Vcc.

Good luck building your S/PDIF switch!

Nice posting!

I have also build my own s/pdif-toslink switch (I would name it 'router')
it has 8 inputs (one input is s/pdif or toslink; by switch) and has 7 out's
(also one output is s/pdif or toslink; by switch)
it is basicly the same design as here discussed, but there are some difference.

I have used two self-made torroids for s/pdif (RCA) in, and (RCA) out.
I have these calculated and populated with copper to get it in good working order!
I'll started a prototype in 4Q of 2007,
after this I'll move it all to vero-boards.

From now, about a year ago. I'll put these PCB's together in a Box.
I have include a Velleman IR Remote Receiver (and I have also an remote controller),
your can guessing, with 8 and 7 channel (makes 15 in total)

I've included a smal (buyed at eBay) Low Cost DAC in it, for monitoring the input or output,
this goes to an HeadPhone amp. this is a must, I'll think, I can't live without it.

So I can switch from input to input and 'route' to an output indepently,
with my Logitech Remote (H.T.) Control, which I've learned the IR-codes
from the Vellemen Remote Controller.

It seems to me now that they are still in production. I recently ordered a new TOTX173 from Conrad. I expected it to come from old stock, but the production code says 0828, which probably means week 28 of 2008. I assume that means that they also still manufacture the TORX173...
It's likely genuine as Toshiba have an updated datasheet mentioning RoHS compliance (which is probably why they're called TOTX173A, now).

Attachments

• totx173a.jpg
    totx173a.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 367
TC9163 as digital audio selector

--(snip)--
My amp uses a TC9163 micro switch array for input selection, am I right that we could use something like this if we wanted to instead of the multiplexer?
--(snip)--
Mike.:)

I know I've come late to this thread, but I thought it worth adding some information for others who follow with similar requirements...

Independently of Mike, I also had the idea of using a TC9163 for switching digital audio inputs. I'm using that chip (also used in my JVC receiver/amp) to switch analogue inputs in a switch-box I'm designing, and since I also need to select from multiple Toslink inputs, I thought it would simplify the design if I could use this same chip for that.

The Toshiba datasheet is abysmal, lacking useful information that would help decide if it was capable, so the only way to find out was to try it! I first Googled to see if someone had already done this - that's how I came to this thread - but unfortunately couldn't find anyone who had.

So I did the test today, just with a 'ratsnest' hookup on the bench, using clip leads to hook up a Toslink receiver (TORX173B) to an input pin, with a DSO looking at the ouput pin (pin 9 for my tests). After manually inputting serial data to select switch 5 (pin 7), I was very pleased to see an exact replica of my S/PDIF input to pin 7 appearing on pin 9!

While this switch was still selected, I moved the input to pin 6 and then to pin 8, to see if there was any crosstalk/feed-through from the open switches. None visible!

So the answer is YES, the TC9163 (and presumably the others of this family, 9162 and 9164), being a simple analogue gate device, CAN switch 5V digital signals with no problem.

Incidentally, for my tests I ran the TC9163 on ±12V supplies, with the logic signals and Toslink input running between GND (0V) and +5V. This is how I plan to power it in my new switch-box.

Hope this is of some help to others looking for a simple and inexpensive digital audio selector!

Daniel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.