Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd January 2009, 03:33 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Understanding DC power requirement for amplifier board

I wonder if someone can help me understand a DC power requirement. I am looking at this amp board:

http://www.hllyelectronics.com/html/...ter_1_105.html

It says the power requirement is DC 32v-0-32v. What does this mean vs. just plain 32v DC. I want to run it on 12v battery power.

Could I use a simple 12v to 32v DC converter? Or is there some special significance to the voltage requirement being listed this way (32v-0-32v)

Forgive my lack of knowledge, a helping hand would be much appreciated.
Old 2nd January 2009, 06:19 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

When you see "32v-0-32v", this means the circuit requires a symmetrical supply. This is basically two 32v supplies in series with the midpoint of the two supplies being the ground reference.

If you want to use 12v batteries you will need 4 in series (6 in series might be too much for this IC).
Old 2nd January 2009, 09:07 AM   #3
jitter is offline jitter  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Understanding DC power requirement for amplifier board

Quote:
Originally posted by macpaulster
[B]I wonder if someone can help me understand a DC power requirement. I am looking at this amp board:

http://www.hllyelectronics.com/html/...ter_1_105.html

It says the power requirement is DC 32v-0-32v. What does this mean vs. just plain 32v DC. I want to run it on 12v battery power.
See below for a graphical representation of what theAnonymous1 wrote.

Quote:
Could I use a simple 12v to 32v DC converter? Or is there some special significance to the voltage requirement being listed this way (32v-0-32v)
You'd need two DC/DC converters, or one with symmetrical outputs.
But a thing to beware of is the power consumption of the amp you are using. Simple DC/DC converter(s) are pretty limited in power output and won't be able to supply the amp with enough current.
I'd use a a type of power supply as found in car power amps.

For more/better answers move this thread to the right place (like amplifiers> solid state or chip amps).
Attached Images
File Type: gif image1.gif (75.8 KB, 90 views)
Old 2nd January 2009, 09:37 AM   #4
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
build a transformer, rectifier and smoothing capacitor dual polarity power supply.
Ignore that >150W guide for PSU capability. That's equivalent to >2.3A
You need a supply that can deliver a continuous rating of 120 to 240VA. It must also be able to supply transient peak currents approaching 20Apk if you use two 8ohm speakers fed from +-32Vdc.

Note the 35-0-35 limit noted on the PCB. This is a worst case maximum voltage rating. Do not exceed it even when mains is running at maximum tolerance.
Old 2nd January 2009, 10:46 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the info. Seems like a 32v-0-32v amp isn't practical for battery power as the whole point is portability and ease of charging with 12v.
Old 2nd January 2009, 11:45 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

You may be interested in this module then. It's not as powerful but runs off a single 14.6 V PSU (= typical voltage on a 12 V car battery with the engine running). It should work fine on 12 V (but with a slightly lower max. power output).
Old 2nd January 2009, 11:58 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Jitter, actually i AM using that board for the mains but was looking for something a little more powerful for the sub. They also offer a bass amp which I was considering:

http://www.hllyelectronics.com/html/...ter_1_104.html

Power requirement is not listed but I can only assume it's something like 32v-0-32v just like the other amp, so it likely would create the same challenges for battery power...
Old 3rd January 2009, 12:20 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

It see two big caps and three screws for the PSU connection. That's got to be for symmetrical PSUs.

Quote:
Jitter, actually i AM using that board for the mains but was looking for something a little more powerful for the sub.
You could still use that. The sub has probaby only one woofer, right? Maybe it's possible that both channels can be bridged to get double the power (but then mono, of course).
Old 3rd January 2009, 10:01 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I asked the manufacturer about bridging and they said no, it won't work.

For my project I just got two of the 20w x 2 boards:

http://www.hllyelectronics.com/html/...tter_1_97.html

And I'm using a dual voice coil sub. I'm hoping that will work well, but the sub will only see 40w. But since I'm using battery power, that may be a blessing. I'm curious to see how long it will go. Battery will be about 10 Ah.
Old 3rd January 2009, 10:14 AM   #10
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

dual voice coil driver.
Use a power amp dedicated to each VC.

Hide this!Advertise here!