Convert 110v to 230v input ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all, hopefully someone can help....

I recently picked up a Sony SDP-EP9ES processor cheap on an auction site but it runs at 110v & im in the UK with 230v !

I could get a step down transformer but the seller has cut the plug on the encapsulated power cord :rolleyes:

Heres a couple of pics :

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

It does say 230v / 110v on the board so hopefully it can be done im just not sure how.....i dont know if i have to move a wire or jumper or something ?

If anyone knows or has any idea please share

Thankyou !:)

I agree. A transformer with only two wires probably has one primary winding and cannot be rewired to take another voltage.

A more universal transformer would have 2x 115 V primary windings. Then it would just be a matter of connecting them in parallel for 115 V or in series for 230 V.

BTW, wouldn't cutting the power plug be needed anyway to connect the UK plug?

Thanks for the input guys - I have a stepdown but not a US plug so i just bodged a connection (dont worry its completely safe)

It works fine which is what i was worried about,not sure why but i tend to associate a cut off plug with broken gear :D suppose i'll have to find a source for US plugs now though......

I only asked incase i could avoid using the stepdown altogether but its not the end of the world :)

Thanks again !

Maybe...

But there's another connector with a white and orange wire leaving the picture in the lower right corner... Where's that going? Another (small) transformer perhaps, powering the circuits that have to remain alive when on stand-by? If so, it would need to be converted too...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.