Technics SL-PG400A - SPDIF ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I got a old Technics CDP with CDM4/19 Laserunit.

To use it as a Transport (...just for fun - normally I use my Shigaclone:D ) I need a SPDIF-output.

The Player has got only a optical-output.

Is there a (easy) way to get SPDIF out of that Box???

Thank you and greetings

Markus

Hi Jitter,

yes I made the clone by myself.
The description from the Pro`s in the "Shigaclone-Post" is very good and it helps beginners like me to do such fine stuff...

AND the SPDIF on the Shigaclone PCB is marked as Dout!
It´s not marked on the Technics-PCB.

I`ve read Toslink is the "same" Signal as SPDIF an if you have Toslink you also have SPDIF - but where can I pick it up?

Maybe you can help me further?

Greetings
Markus

Ah, the coin has dropped ;).

What I'd do is rip out the Toslink transmitter and check the signal level on the pad where pin 4 used to be (datsheet).
I'm expecting it to be the same as the 'clone's. If so, I'd use the same value resistors as needed for the Shigaclone to get correct S/PDIF signal level and 75 Ohm output impedance..

BTW, I'm going to build one too, today I ordered a RC-EZ51.

I read about 90% of the Shigaclone thread and it seemed to me that everyone has a very positive experience with this cheap little transport (barring some broken stuff due to mistakes)! My method of upgrading will probably be slightly different, though.

As experiment, today I converted a Toslink input to coaxial input on my old (and partly broken) CD-recorder. That's a little more work than converting a Toslink output to coaxial output due to the fact that the S/PDIF signal needs to be amplified to 5 Vpp, but still pretty easy. You just need a few more parts.

I'm browsing the internet for a really affordable secondhand DAC to get my Shigaclone project on the way...
I stumbled upon a multiple input Denon. The weird thing of this DAC is that 3 of the 5 inputs are Toslink :eek:. It's a pretty standard quality DAC, but it already has an upgraded analogue output section. If I decide to buy it, I'll first convert the optical inputs to coax (hence my experimenting today) and maybe apply some more tweaks I found on the internet for this particular model.

I picked up S/PDIF from my TECHNICS!
It`s VERY easy...:rolleyes:

@Jitter:
Some people (me too) using the Shigaclone with a NOS-DAC.
I got the one from Scott Nixon and I'am very satisfied.
There are many schematics in the Internet with the Philips TDA 1543 DAC (needs no "output-stage") so you can DIY one just for testing it.
Maybe you like it!?

Greetings
Markus

I played with the idea of building a DAC from scratch, but found myself going through eBay-like sites for a second hand item instead. It needs to be cheap and not too far from where I live (I'm going to be working on a limited budget). Since I also want to use it for upgrading my rather mediocre sounding DVD-player, HDD/DVD-recorder and digital TV-reciever, lots of inputs are needed. So far I've only come across a Rotel and a Denon that have more than the usual 1 coaxial + 1 optical input (Rotel: 4 inputs (Toslink or coax per input), Denon 3 Toslink + 2 coax inputs). The Rotel is being sold together with the CD-transport (and I don't need ANOTHER one) and not close to where I live. The Denon is located close by and has a JK Acoustics filter installed bypassing the original analogue section. This evening I'm going to the seller for a look and a listen.

If it is good enough I'll buy it and try some mods I found on the internet for this model. And maybe this thing can be made to work NOS as well (it has PCM1702 DACs).
Then I'll start the Shigaclone, and if it turns out to be the little miracle for me too, I will build a NOS DAC just for this one.
It might all take a while because I'm planning to do one thing at a time, otherwise there'll be no way telling which mod was an improvement and which one was not.

Hmm, the DIY option seems closer again.
Just got a phone call from the seller saying the appointment I made for tonight can't go through and it wouldn't be possible to make a new one soon either. I don't like that :mad:, so I made it clear that I'd keep looking for another... (or build one myself).

Can you still get new TDA1543 or would I need to buy a cheap 2nd hand CD-player and take it out?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.