linear regulator question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The regulators in my dvd 2900 are of the "NJM78 and NJM79"
family.
I have been considering upgrading these with some sort of drop in super regulators, however with 9 regs in the front left and right alone it could get very $$$.

So my question is, are the regulators in question better than average?

I read some where that they are better than the standard regs

The NJMXX regulators seem to have better noise stats compared to the 7800 series. Ripple rejection seem to be about the same. This is all datasheet stuff -- fwiw. You could probably tweak up the performance a bit by using an adjustable regulator like the LM317/337 with a 10uF cap on the adjust pin, or go to one of the even lower noise regulators from Linear Tech.

Then it comes to a matter of real estate for a super-regulator -- My smallest super regulator (which is surface mount) still takes up a few square inches -- I don't know what the real estate situ is for PA's. The super-regs also require a bit more overhead so it's not necessarily a drop-in. When I switched to a super-reg in my much-modded Adcom GFP565 the performance improvement was noteable. Did the same thing with a Crown IC-150.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.