CS4398 mode selections

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

I presently use a dac based on a CS4398. Near the dac ic, there's dip swicthes named M1, M0, M3, M2

I use this dac only with with a CEC cd transport.

The best sound quality I have is with this swich setting seems to be :

M1=0
M0=1
M3=1
M2=0

At these settings, the dac operate at I 2 S up to 24 bit data and in double speed. (???)

When I set M2=1 it is supposed to work at quad speed but there's no sound with this setting. Why ?

The sound at double speed is mellower with better soundstage compared to single speed mode.

Are these swictches has something to do with upsampling or oversampling ? Can this dac be configured in non upsampling mode ?

Which setting should be the best with a redbook cd player ?

Thanks a lot

Marc Legare

Attachments

• cs4398-dip.jpg
    cs4398-dip.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 278
I have the same DIY DAC kit ans observed identical problem - no sound with quad mode setting.

My dvd player is able to output PCM with 48, 96, or 192K sampling - user selectable.

Single speed (for input sample rates between 32k and 50k) works for all the three above.
Double speed (for input sample rates between 50k and 100k) works for all the above
Quad speed (for input sample rates between 100k and 200k) - no sound for all.

There is a CS4616 PCM input chip for this DAC kit which supposedly samples the PCM input at 192 ! I am not sure how the "up-sampling" works with the CS4398 ? Can anyone explains the possible behavior ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.