OP275 opamp replacement help. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th November 2008, 06:34 AM   #1
Glen1 is offline Glen1  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default OP275 opamp replacement help.

I just have an enquiry about a replacement for a OP275 op amp.
I have a Musiland DA10 which uses the OP275 opamp and I have read that this op amp is only satisfactory and gains in performance can be made by swapping it out for a different model. I'm new to the diy game so just looking for advice on different options and the best way to go about this project.
I have attached a photo with the op amp right in the middle. The dac has already had the caps chaged to blackgates.

Ta,
Glen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc07859.jpg (57.7 KB, 839 views)
Old 28th November 2008, 06:59 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi Glen. There is a wide range of opamps which will work and sound different from what you have. Better? Who knows? The OP275 has lots of fans for its mellow sound. An AD8620 will sound dramatically different and possibly better if you want more detailed and upfront sound. Are you comfortbale desoldering SMDs?
Old 28th November 2008, 07:07 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by analog_sa
Hi Glen. There is a wide range of opamps which will work and sound different from what you have. Better? Who knows? The OP275 has lots of fans for its mellow sound. An AD8620 will sound dramatically different and possibly better if you want more detailed and upfront sound. Are you comfortbale desoldering SMDs?
Thanks for the reply. I actually like the sound of the dac. I'm using it for streaming with a Squeezebox SB3 and the sound it produces is extremely close to my tubed output Droplet cdp. I've read that there's heaps of op amps available and they are all different. I guess I'm just after a little more refinement that what I'm getting now. I don't want anything more forward. Apparently the 627 is pretty good but some say it's layed back. A person on HeadHifi repalced his 275 with a LM4562 and claims that it tidied up things even more. Mods recommended for the dac are change the caps, the op amp, the diodes and remove the ac filter. Mine has the caps and ac filter done.
I wouldn't attempt to do the de-soldering especially given I hear that surface mounts can be diabolical if you damage the tracks. I'll be able to find a suitable tech to do it for me.
Old 28th November 2008, 07:08 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

The BGs in the PS are great but there appear to be also PS decoupling caps next to the opamp. The tantalums on the pcb are not particularly good sounding and you may investigate replacing those with BG as well.
Old 28th November 2008, 07:14 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by analog_sa
The BGs in the PS are great but there appear to be also PS decoupling caps next to the opamp. The tantalums on the pcb are not particularly good sounding and you may investigate replacing those with BG as well.
Sorry about my ignorance but what's a PS and tantalums?
Old 28th November 2008, 07:15 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

There's an interesting thread here:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/my-...ed-56k-233618/
Old 28th November 2008, 07:20 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

The LM4562 is probably the best choice if you already enjoy the 275. I would recommend buying a cheap hot air station and doing your own desoldering - takes very little time and effort.

Tantalums are the yellow surface mount capacitors close to the opamps. PS = power supply
Old 28th November 2008, 07:24 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

OP275 is a dual opamp with hybrid bipolar/FET inputs....I assume that makes it behave like a FET input opamp, but I don't know, having not used it.

The AD8620 seems appropriate. I also like OPA2107 - the data doesn't support me on that one, so your mileage is highly likely to vary. The "common" opamps (which would have been considered excellent just a few years ago, but I digress) such as OPA2132 are likely a downgrade from the existing OP275.

Most of the commonly accepted "best" opamps, such as AD843 and OPA627 are only available in single packages. There exists a browndog "footprint" adapter -I don't know how well it works, I've never tried it.

EDIT: Isn't the LM4562 bipolar input? I wouldn't have thought it wise to just drop it into a circuit.
Old 28th November 2008, 07:53 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

EDIT: Isn't the LM4562 bipolar input? I wouldn't have thought it wise to just drop it into a circuit.

Exactly why I need to ask these questions. Ta.
Old 28th November 2008, 08:24 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

It doesn't mean that it won't work, just that it might not work as well as you'd expect - but then, analog_sa is an expert, and I'm not, so he can probably tell us why I'm wrong.

Hide this!Advertise here!