DCX2496 connected to AVR for 2-Way (Newform) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th November 2008, 08:13 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default DCX2496 connected to AVR for 2-Way (Newform)

Hello all,

I have been using DCX2496 & Panasonic XR45 Receiver same manner as Newform http://www.newformresearch.com/digital-amp-packages.htm and been pleased. It is low-cost solution which uses the Receiver's amplifiers (4 channels 2-way). The receiver's volume control is used, in other words no need for any Volume control arrangement to the DCX2496.

The DCX2496 feeds its signals <Low-Left, High-letft & Low-Right, High-right> from DCX2496 directly to the Receiver's DVD 5.1 analogue input. Then, from Receiver's Front & Surround outputs -> to Woofer and Tweeter respectively.

Newform has been recommending Digital Receivers, such as Panasonic XR models.

Has anyone tried above with other convential (analoge) Receivers? After all, the signals from the DCX2496 is analogue.

I am now considering to use some Denon 7.1 AVR for same purpose. It should not be any problem - or?

LageB
Old 27th November 2008, 10:55 AM   #2
Rudolf is offline Rudolf  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default Re: DCX2496 connected to AVR for 2-Way (Newform)

Quote:
Originally posted by LageB
I have been using DCX2496 & Panasonic XR45 Receiver same manner as Newform and been pleased. Has anyone tried above with other convential (analoge) Receivers?

I am now considering to use some Denon 7.1 AVR for same purpose. It should not be any problem - or?
Im running all 6 channels of an Onkyo TX-SR505E downstream the DCX. No problem at all. Even my rusted Yamaha RX-V595a did work (4 channels). I know of some Denons that did work too.
You may look for a AV receiver with "digital Pre out". That way the receiver could switch your digital sources (NOT analog sources) too.
Old 27th November 2008, 01:40 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hello Rudolf,

Thanks. Good to know. Do you run 6 channels as 3-way stereo or did you do something else fun?

LageB

P.S
By the way, those are trying to move to the Newform link<.
http://www.newformresearch.com/digital-amp-packages.htm
You may get some message "stack overflow", but click few times and it disappears (at least for me)
Old 27th November 2008, 02:14 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
[B]Do you run 6 channels as 3-way stereo or did you do something else fun?
Just plain 3-way stereo.

BTW: I bought my Onkyo used. I had to reset the receiver to factory standards to get rid of some filters (set by the pre-owner?) still working in direct DVD multichannel mode.
Old 27th November 2008, 02:29 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudolf

Just plain 3-way stereo.

BTW: I bought my Onkyo used. I had to reset the receiver to factory standards to get rid of some filters (set by the pre-owner?) still working in direct DVD multichannel mode.
Not "Just plain" .

With my set-up using Panasonic XR45 5.1 AVR I can only use 5 channels, i.e 2-way is max. Now I have woofer, mid + Tweeter and need to make it 3-way (will also start hunting some good 2:nd hand 7.1 AVR)

LageB
Old 27th November 2008, 02:48 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I see.

Best value for the money would be one of the rare 6.1 receivers, IF it allows to access all 6 power amps individually (which most dont!). No one seems to want them.

Next best value would be 7.1 receivers without HDMI. But lack of digital video will lower their future resale value too. So money saved today is money lost tomorrow.
Old 27th November 2008, 04:30 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

My (future) woofers or bass modules is somwhat tricky load with impedance dropping to 4 Ohm, so I need to find some current-willing AVR...

LageB
Old 29th November 2008, 10:53 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hello again Rudolf - are you there?

I had a quick look at your nice homepage - looks very good. It is a pity that I do not understand German language.

The speakers which are shown - are they yours? Is DCX2496 -> AVR being used anywhere ?

LageB
Old 29th November 2008, 11:34 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I had a quick look at your nice homepage ... The speakers which are shown - are they yours? Is DCX2496 -> AVR being used anywhere?
No, the examples on www.dipolplus.de are not mine. These are some of my own dipoles:

Click the image to open in full size.
Latest version. Onkyo and DCX in the background

Assorted legacy dipoles:
Left: H frame with coax on OB.
Middle: W frame (Ripol) with two Visaton W250
Right: Same Visatons in "M" frame

M frame with Veravox 3 FR driver on OB
Old 30th November 2008, 06:51 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Nice pictures Rudolf !

I am glad to find someone who is using similar concept as me - may I ask some other questions?

-1- Amplifier channels
In the upper picture, are you using other external amplifier for the bass modules, i.e via pre-outs on Onkyo? or, are you using only Onkyo's own (6) amplifiers?

-2-
Regarding the cable connection between DCX2496 and the AVR -How did you convert the XLR -> RCA?

I suppose standard is XLR female output (DCX) to RCA input (amp) has 1 to shield, 2 to red, 3 to black with 1 and 3 bridged which I think I have now, using standard cheap conversion plugs.
Earlier there were some discussion in this Forum whether it was better to disconnect pin 1 and 3 or not...

Just curious how you connected it..

Best
LageB

Hide this!Advertise here!