M-Audio Transit DC offset - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th November 2008, 08:02 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default M-Audio Transit DC offset

Hi,

I was doing a new round of measurements last night and found that my M-Audio Transit USB sound card has high DC offsets.

The Right Out has 1.3V. The Right In has 2V. The soundcard was only connected to a desktop computer.

Upon the discovery, I connected a pair of cheap, active desktop computer loudspeakers and played a CD - the sound is normal and beautiful.

So I added an input capacitor to the preamp then did some measurements and they looked OK.

Is there something wrong with the soundcard? Have you measured yours?

Regards,
Bill
Old 22nd November 2008, 01:03 PM   #2
y8s is offline y8s  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to y8s Send a message via MSN to y8s Send a message via Yahoo to y8s
what is the DC offset with a load connected? does it drop to tenths of a volt?
Old 23rd November 2008, 08:18 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I did not measure it directly with a load, but I suspect you are right that the voltage dropped when connected to a load.

I initially discovered the problem when I measured 300mV from my power amplifier output to the speakers. I then switched off the power amp and preamp and then measured the soundcard outputs while the the R In was connected to the R Out. The measurement showed higher voltages (1.3V and 2V).

Since I have neither DC blocking capacitors in the preamp nor power amp, if the voltage did not get dropped with a load, I would have measured very high voltage, instead of 300mV, at the power amp output.

So what does that say?
Old 24th November 2008, 06:22 PM   #4
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by HiFiNutNut
<snip>

So what does that say?
Probably that you need coupling capacitors.. I have one of these as well that I use for audio measurements, but I use an outboard box which is ac coupled to connect it to the DUT. I posted a schematic somewhere here on diyaudio in the past that outlines the details of my interface box.

I haven't measured mine recently, but I have some vague recollection that there was some dc present on the output when connected to high impedance loads. It is likely that the coupling capacitors are a bit leaky and this in conjunction with dc coupling and a high input impedance in the following device could lead to offset issues.
Old 25th November 2008, 07:15 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your inputs.

I have now the DC blocking cap in my measurement preamp and since the measurements look fine I will live with it.

Regards,
Bill

Hide this!Advertise here!