spdif to analog converter circuit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am just starting to educate myself in the vagaries of digital sound. The purity of the sound is not that important at this time as I am almost deaf. However, I have a use for a mono Spdif to analog converter. I want to build it and experiment with it. After doing quite a bit of Googling on the subject, it seems that these DAC chips require a PC connection for timing etc.
My question is, "Is there a way that a circuit could be built that would be stand alone and if so, does anyone out there have a circuit?". I am rather good at building and I enjoy it. In other words, I want to plug the spdif in and connect the output to an analog amplifier. I know I can buy a Gefen converter etc. etc. but I want to build it myself.
After doing my Googling on this subject, I guess I'm too old to grasp it myself and I need some assistance to get me started.
Thank you in advance for any help.

SPDIF is a digital interface for DAC's. The chain is Source (CD, DVD or Computer) to a DAC via a SPDIF data standard to a preamp to your amp.

A DAC is a spdif to analog converter.

There are tons of great DAC's like the Lavry Engineering DA-10 for $995, Logitech/SqueezeBox Transporter $1995 (Transporter also have ethernet interface to a computer), to DIY options.

A great DIY option is either an AKM 4396 DAC eval board or the Analog Devices AD1955 eval board. All you need a powersupply and a case. These eval boards are absolutely first rate.

Given your hearing impairment the SqueezeBox SB3 or even a Roland Enderol UM-1.

Other members may have better ideas.

-David

Dang, they moved that document so my URL stopped working.
I re-found it here:

http://focus.ti.com/docs/toolsw/folders/print/dem-pcm2902.html

look for this part, and download the sleu024A.pdf file (N.B. "A" suffix):
"User Guides
* DEM-PCM2900/2902 EVM (Rev. A) (sleu024a.pdf, 616 KB)
29 Mar 2007 Download"

The PCM2902 does have a USB computer port, but I think you don't have to use it - i'm not exactly sure of the modes of operation - the data sheet will tell you that.

If you're a student, you dont even have to buy the chip, TI will GIVE you one free. They are really great that way.

dw8083 said:
A great DIY option is either an AKM 4396 DAC eval board or the Analog Devices AD1955 eval board.
The AD1955 eval board is $600US, the AKM about $300. These are pretty expensive for someone whose hearing isn't that good.
These are cheaper:
http://us.hifidiy.net/list.asp?classid=15
Check out the Mini TDA1543 at $42.00. Also, it is a real kit that has to be assembled, which I think is more what Stuw had in mind.

paulb said:

The AD1955 eval board is $600US, the AKM about $300. These are pretty expensive for someone whose hearing isn't that good.
These are cheaper:
http://us.hifidiy.net/list.asp?classid=15
Check out the Mini TDA1543 at $42.00. Also, it is a real kit that has to be assembled, which I think is more what Stuw had in mind.

Hi Paul,

I have not checked prices for these boards lately. Prices keep going up. Going back 2 years the AD1955 board was either $195 or $225, depending upon the distributor. I did hear from one vendor that the DIY community was snatching up these boards based on feedback on this site and had to raise prices. They were selling the boards under cost as demo samples.

If you are lucky enough to work for an electronics or audio company of some type, you can probably request one for free for eval purposes.

-David

Thanx for everything

Thanx so much for all of the replies. I now have a whole bunch of data to investigate. I also found an interesting article at the following url http://ta2020.huuryuu.com/nosDAC_e.html.
This s/pdif is quite a fascinating subject. I feel I am in school again.

Again, Thanx a lot. I will post pix of my completed project in the future.

You all should be proud of this site & all you do.

Stuw

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.