Kwak clock not working - pls advise

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,
I have just finished DIY a Kwak clock but it is not working on my old Sony CDP model CDP590. Here is my DIY Kwak clock. Ignore the circuit in the yellow box (that’s the TTL to SPDIF circuit, it is not connected to the CDP nor the clock circuit). I got the +4.9V & -4.8 V at the specified locations as mentioned in the schematic.
I have tuned the pot & tried from 0.45V to 0.65V but what I faced now is –
1) 1st load the disc, the disc spin awhile & then “No disc” is displayed.
2) Re-load again, this time the disc continue to spin, faster & faster non-stop. I have to switch OFF everything.
3) There was time when the disc spin CW awhile, stop & then spin CCW. I have to switch OFF everything.
4) Many times I saw the lens pickup moving up/down, I guess it’s trying to focus.
DIYKwakclockcircuit.jpg

I have not built a power supply for the Kwak clock circuit yet. I’m using a ready made power supply supplying the +/- 12V & COM. The COM on the Kwak clock is connected to the COM of this power supply.
PS.jpg

I’m using the CDP original crystal (16.9344, with 2 leads)for the Kwak clock circuit. I have also removed the 2 small caps (C317 & C316) that are connected parallel to the crystal.
I have tried both pads with a 1k resistor but none of them works.
Crystal2smallcaps.jpg

Pls advise what I can do next.
Thanks & have a nice day.
Regards,

Hi guys,
Thanks for the reply. I’m not good in my electronics. How can I have (connect) a same potential as the common of my CDP?
I tried measuring the ground & the +/- 12V of the power supply unit, I don’t get +/- 12V.
Only with the COM, I get +/- 12V, therefore I have to use the COM of the power supply unit.
For sure, I turned ON the CDP & the power supply unit at the same time. I’m using a multi plug, one switch to turn ON both.

Assyst1606 said:
Hi guys,
Thanks for the reply. I’m not good in my electronics. How can I have (connect) a same potential as the common of my CDP?
I tried measuring the ground & the +/- 12V of the power supply unit, I don’t get +/- 12V.
Only with the COM, I get +/- 12V, therefore I have to use the COM of the power supply unit.
For sure, I turned ON the CDP & the power supply unit at the same time. I’m using a multi plug, one switch to turn ON both.

You must connect the common of your external supply to the ground of the clock PCB. Also you must connect the ground of your clock PCB to the ground of the player's PCB!

Yes, the COM (or ground) of the Kwak clock is connected to the COM of the external power supply.
OK, next i will connect the COM (or ground) of the Kwak clock to the chassis of the CDP or ground of the CDP pcb bd.
I think i got the right caps for C5 & C6. BTW how does a NPO cap looks like?
I hope i don't have to re-build everything again.

You will not have to rebuild anything.... just reference the clock signal to the common of the CD player. The sound may even be to your liking, warm and pleasant (bearing in mind how the clock "PCB" looks like...)

Another thing.... make sure the pad you are feeding the clock signal to is not the ground pad.

Good luck
Boky

Assyst1606 said:
Yes, the COM (or ground) of the Kwak clock is connected to the COM of the external power supply.
OK, next i will connect the COM (or ground) of the Kwak clock to the chassis of the CDP or ground of the CDP pcb bd.
I think i got the right caps for C5 & C6. BTW how does a NPO cap looks like?
I hope i don't have to re-build everything again.

Tie it to the ground to the CDP PCB. The chassis may not be grounded to the PCB, or it may be tied to it via a ground loop breaker, etc.

The power supply noise performance will determine the amount of clock oscillator jitter (together with the PCB design) - therefore use Jung regulators:

http://www.aoselectronics.com/jungsrpcb.html

The clock oscillator ground should be connected to the CD player ground at the point where the CD player (digital) ground noise is minimal. What you really want to achieve here is the minimal clock oscillator ground noise level. This depends on clock oscillator power supply noise AS WELL AS which ground point you choose in your CD player.

Connecting clock oscillator power supply ground with CD player ground will reference the external oscillator frequency (and the CD player will start to work properly), but this is not optimal solution.

Good luck

Boky

Hi Extreme Boky,

The clock oscillator ground should be connected to the CD player ground at the point where the CD player (digital) ground noise is minimal. What you really want to achieve here is the minimal clock oscillator ground noise level. This depends on clock oscillator power supply noise AS WELL AS which ground point you choose in your CD player.

I was wondering if you could you please suggest how one would find the lowest (digital ground) noise point in a CD player.

I just finished building a power supply for a kwak clock and wanted to optimise its connections.

Richard

Hi Assyst1606,

Extreme Boky is correct in regard to low noise power supplies for the Kwak Clock, but as Andy points out the Kwak Clock already has TL431 shunt regulators.

I ended up building a (pre-regulator) power supply for my Kwak clock that is very similar to the one you posted. However, I used a transformer with dual secondaries and built it with a 4 diode bridge for each (+/- 12V) rail, keeping the grounds for each rail seperate, only joining them at the clock itself. In addition, I also used a common mode choke (CMC) (Epcos 39mH) after the 1st filter cap. On a scope the CMC reduced noise level by about half. The clock only uses about 10mA so I used 78L12 & 79L12 100mA regulators to keep it all small.

For the diodes try BYV26C, BYV27-200 or 11DQ10.

In regard to C5 & C6 NPO or COG (ceramic) caps are fine, Elso also suggests silver mica. As for a pic see below.

Cheers,

Richard

Attachments

• npo caps.jpg
    npo caps.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 390
Hi Richard,
Thanks for the reply & the info. I’m not good in my electronics, is it possible u could post the schematic & photo of your power supply? I got the transformer from my workplace workshop & I intend to use it for the Kwak clock power supply.
I have other questions –
1) Will there be a great improvement if I replace the original crystal (from the CDP that is currently on the Kwak clock) with a better one? If yes, what brand & spec should I be looking for (other than to be of the same frequency)?
2) Lastly I saw some articles mentioning about removing the muting caps on the output RCA. Are these caps connected across the RCA output? I heard u can hear popping sound when switching the CDP ON/OFF if u remove the muting caps, is that true? Will that cause any damage to the amp or speakers?

Hi Assyst1606,

I don’t think there will be a great improvement with an upgraded crystal in the Kwal clock. I did try this in a Marantz Cd 63 and did not notice any difference. As the learned guys have suggested in previous posts, your clock layout is spread over a rather large area, you will benefit by wiring it on a smaller board with the components closer together.

However, Pedja reports differnces in the crystal with the Kwak asynchronous reclocker, but thats another story.(http://www.pedjarogic.com/1541a/rev1.htm).

Have a look at the website below, there is a version of the Kwak clock that runs on a single +5V supply and is rather compact.
http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/ra.vdsteen/index_en.html
see under DIY projects “Clock PCB”

As for the muting caps removal, I’m not really sure as I have not tried it, but there is some advice on lampizator.eu. See snip it and bypass:
http://www.lampizator.eu/SNIPIT/lampizator_DIY.html

Finally when I get some time I’ll draw out a schematic of the psu I used, but It is pretty much identical to yours.
Hope all that helps

Cheers,

Richard

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.