Kwak clock not working - pls advise - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th November 2008, 12:24 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Kwak clock not working - pls advise

Hi guys,
I have just finished DIY a Kwak clock but it is not working on my old Sony CDP model CDP590. Here is my DIY Kwak clock. Ignore the circuit in the yellow box (thatís the TTL to SPDIF circuit, it is not connected to the CDP nor the clock circuit). I got the +4.9V & -4.8 V at the specified locations as mentioned in the schematic.
I have tuned the pot & tried from 0.45V to 0.65V but what I faced now is Ė
1) 1st load the disc, the disc spin awhile & then ďNo discĒ is displayed.
2) Re-load again, this time the disc continue to spin, faster & faster non-stop. I have to switch OFF everything.
3) There was time when the disc spin CW awhile, stop & then spin CCW. I have to switch OFF everything.
4) Many times I saw the lens pickup moving up/down, I guess itís trying to focus.
Click the image to open in full size.
I have not built a power supply for the Kwak clock circuit yet. Iím using a ready made power supply supplying the +/- 12V & COM. The COM on the Kwak clock is connected to the COM of this power supply.
Iím using the CDP original crystal (16.9344, with 2 leads)for the Kwak clock circuit. I have also removed the 2 small caps (C317 & C316) that are connected parallel to the crystal.
I have tried both pads with a 1k resistor but none of them works.
Pls advise what I can do next.
Thanks & have a nice day.
Regards,
Old 9th November 2008, 02:46 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

The common of that oscillator power supply will have to be at the same potential as the common of your CD player....
Old 9th November 2008, 06:32 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Extreme_Boky
The common of that oscillator power supply will have to be at the same potential as the common of your CD player....

Yes coonect them! And also switched on simultaneously with the player.
Old 9th November 2008, 02:07 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi guys,
Thanks for the reply. Iím not good in my electronics. How can I have (connect) a same potential as the common of my CDP?
I tried measuring the ground & the +/- 12V of the power supply unit, I donít get +/- 12V.
Only with the COM, I get +/- 12V, therefore I have to use the COM of the power supply unit.
For sure, I turned ON the CDP & the power supply unit at the same time. Iím using a multi plug, one switch to turn ON both.
Old 9th November 2008, 02:14 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Assyst1606
Hi guys,
Thanks for the reply. Iím not good in my electronics. How can I have (connect) a same potential as the common of my CDP?
I tried measuring the ground & the +/- 12V of the power supply unit, I donít get +/- 12V.
Only with the COM, I get +/- 12V, therefore I have to use the COM of the power supply unit.
For sure, I turned ON the CDP & the power supply unit at the same time. Iím using a multi plug, one switch to turn ON both.

You must connect the common of your external supply to the ground of the clock PCB. Also you must connect the ground of your clock PCB to the ground of the player's PCB!
Old 9th November 2008, 04:40 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Your track / wire lengths are much too long for a high freq cct, I would suggest that you build it much more compact and keep wire lenghts as short as possible.
Old 9th November 2008, 11:16 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Yes, waaaaay to big
What kind of caps did you use for C5,C6? I once tried with ordinary ceramic disc but it did not work until I swapped them for NP0
Old 10th November 2008, 02:59 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Yes, the COM (or ground) of the Kwak clock is connected to the COM of the external power supply.
OK, next i will connect the COM (or ground) of the Kwak clock to the chassis of the CDP or ground of the CDP pcb bd.
I think i got the right caps for C5 & C6. BTW how does a NPO cap looks like?
I hope i don't have to re-build everything again.
Old 10th November 2008, 04:01 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

You will not have to rebuild anything.... just reference the clock signal to the common of the CD player. The sound may even be to your liking, warm and pleasant (bearing in mind how the clock "PCB" looks like...)

Another thing.... make sure the pad you are feeding the clock signal to is not the ground pad.

Good luck
Boky
Old 10th November 2008, 06:19 PM   #10
Pars is offline Pars  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Assyst1606
Yes, the COM (or ground) of the Kwak clock is connected to the COM of the external power supply.
OK, next i will connect the COM (or ground) of the Kwak clock to the chassis of the CDP or ground of the CDP pcb bd.
I think i got the right caps for C5 & C6. BTW how does a NPO cap looks like?
I hope i don't have to re-build everything again.
Tie it to the ground to the CDP PCB. The chassis may not be grounded to the PCB, or it may be tied to it via a ground loop breaker, etc.

Hide this!Advertise here!