Clock Jitter Cleaners - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2008, 07:43 PM   #1
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: colorado
Question Clock Jitter Cleaners

Any thoughts?
http://elecp-media.com/portal/wts/cc...kAL6SzVbNFw6Sh

National's site:
http://www.national.com/products/catalog.do
Click on
Clock and Timing
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2008, 01:56 PM   #2
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: nan jing china
it sounds like a good idea,
does anyone try before?
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2008, 04:36 PM   #3
jcx is online now jcx  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: ..
the phase noise plots at audio frequency offsets are worse than good quality Xtal osc
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2008, 09:41 PM   #4
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Eindhoven
Default Re: Clock Jitter Cleaners

Quote:
Originally posted by coloradosound
Any thoughts?
http://elecp-media.com/portal/wts/cc...kAL6SzVbNFw6Sh

National's site:
http://www.national.com/products/catalog.do
Click on
Clock and Timing

nice for communication systems where they start integrating the measured jitter at 12 kHz. No use for serious audio

avoid them, don't spend a single second

best
__________________
Guido Tent
www.Tentlabs.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2008, 11:33 PM   #5
rossl is offline rossl  United States
diyAudio Member
 
rossl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Central Ohio
I didn't study the entire set of data sheets. I looked through one of them.

I think it would be hard to do what most of us would want. I would want to use a "jitter cleaner" to fix up a received SPDIF stream.

Aside from the problem of the jitter below 12KHz that the other posters have noticed, the chips have registers that need to be set to tell the chip what frequency the received clock is. You will need a micro to configure the part.

I think you would have to use one of the verious SPDIF receiver chips in software mode. Use one that will give you a status reading of the locked sample rate.

Then you will need the micro to read the SPDIF rate from the receiver and configure the jitter cleaner part for the correct sample rate. Every time the SPDIF receiver locks, the jitter cleaner will be re-configured.

The package is a 48 pin LLP, which is not DIY friendly. You will have a hard time hand-soldering this.

It sounds like a lot of development to me for a questionable amount of improvment.
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2008, 07:28 AM   #6
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Eindhoven
Quote:
Originally posted by rossl
I didn't study the entire set of data sheets. I looked through one of them.

I think it would be hard to do what most of us would want. I would want to use a "jitter cleaner" to fix up a received SPDIF stream.

Aside from the problem of the jitter below 12KHz that the other posters have noticed, the chips have registers that need to be set to tell the chip what frequency the received clock is. You will need a micro to configure the part.

I think you would have to use one of the verious SPDIF receiver chips in software mode. Use one that will give you a status reading of the locked sample rate.

Then you will need the micro to read the SPDIF rate from the receiver and configure the jitter cleaner part for the correct sample rate. Every time the SPDIF receiver locks, the jitter cleaner will be re-configured.

The package is a 48 pin LLP, which is not DIY friendly. You will have a hard time hand-soldering this.

It sounds like a lot of development to me for a questionable amount of improvment.
Take an average Input receiver like CS8412 or 14 and combine it with a decent crystal based VCXO like

http://www.tentlabs.com/Products/DAC...DAC/index.html

30dB in jitter reduction is not questionable......

best
__________________
Guido Tent
www.Tentlabs.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2008, 08:30 AM   #7
diyAudio Member
 
QSerraTico_Tico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Cool Re: Clock Jitter Cleaners

Quote:
Originally posted by coloradosound
Any thoughts?
http://elecp-media.com/portal/wts/cc...kAL6SzVbNFw6Sh

National's site:
http://www.national.com/products/catalog.do
Click on
Clock and Timing

How about the MAX9485?
http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/4421
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2008, 10:53 AM   #8
rossl is offline rossl  United States
diyAudio Member
 
rossl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Central Ohio
Quote:
Originally posted by Guido Tent


Take an average Input receiver like CS8412 or 14 and combine it with a decent crystal based VCXO like

http://www.tentlabs.com/Products/DAC...DAC/index.html

30dB in jitter reduction is not questionable......

best
How do you get it to lock on and clean the jitter on all of 44.1K, 48K, 88.2K, 96K, 176.4K, and 192K ?
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2008, 01:05 PM   #9
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Eindhoven
Quote:
Originally posted by rossl


How do you get it to lock on and clean the jitter on all of 44.1K, 48K, 88.2K, 96K, 176.4K, and 192K ?

Not, there's no free lunch, at least not for 209 euro, but you might like this one

http://www.grimmaudio.com/cc1grimm.htm

best
__________________
Guido Tent
www.Tentlabs.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2008, 10:33 AM   #10
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally posted by Guido Tent
[B]


Not, there's no free lunch, at least not for 209 euro
209 euro? I can't understand why people would pay anything of the sort for a boutique clock instead of realizing if they'd only check outside the audio specialty suppliers they could find something for a fraction of the cost. Example quote I got from a manufacturer:

Fundamental: 24.576 MHz
RMS jitter 10 Hz-20 MHz: 0.25 ps (typ) 0.3 ps (max)
Phase noise at offset: 10Hz -100dB, 100Hz -130dB, 1kHz -155dB, 10kHz - 170dB, 100kHz -175dB (typ, max 3 Hz higher)
Price: $20

That's per clock for 100 quantity, about double if only 10. I was going to organize a group order on head-fi but other stuff came up (a 70 hour a week job). I'm sure other manufacturers can provide similar clocks at similar prices

It's pretty clear to me that most people seem to not realize that one doesn't have to spend ludicrous sums of money to get decent audio components. Just don't spend it with the suppliers that charge a multiple of what it's worth--shop around, going outside the circle of audiophile pawn shop masters!
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
16.9344MHz LOW JITTER CLOCK KIT... bleachershane Digital Line Level 146 4th July 2010 02:17 PM
low jitter clock help needed atcgreg Digital Line Level 10 9th June 2009 07:58 AM
Another clock idea for low jitter Bernhard Digital Source 7 29th October 2004 05:05 PM
Clock in RME AD/DA 1nS Jitter! fmak Digital Source 7 31st May 2004 08:45 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:44 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2